Deck 6 noise QM2

zombie

How loud is it below the gym? Does anyone know what time the gym opens? I am ruing the fact I didn't use a travel agent and didn't think to check what was above us before I booked our tickets.

How loud is it below the gym? Does anyone know what time the gym opens? I am ruing the fact I didn't use a travel agent and didn't think to check what was above us before I booked our tickets.

Dear zombie,

Attached are photos of some the machines that they use in the Canyon Ranch Gym located on Deck 7, Forward, Stairway A.

The Gym opens daily from 6AM to 8PM. The area in front of it on Deck 7 is an outside observation deck. Behind it is the Reception Center for the Canyon Ranch Spa.

Since I don't think there is any Machine Room under Deck 7 Observation Outside Deck, that area should be quiet. Any Machine Room for the anchor and etc.. should below Deck 5 which also in the front is another Observation Outside Deck.

I have not seen in the past people questioning the noise level of the Gym. I would think that Cunard would have addressed this matter for those who hold cabins below. We can see if anyone has any take on this.

I know people have questioned cabins located below the Winter Garden. With an active Waterfall always running as part of it's atmosphere, I have heard and read that some people have heard a water type of noise above that can be connected to cabins below that room.

I know that front of certain ships can be rough in certain weather conditions. People many times opt to obtain cabins midship. In the front you can also experience the ship cutting into waves and dipping.

Cabin selection is of your choice with research of the type of comfort you wish to experience and avoid.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone. I was a little nervous because my husband is a little disappointed we couldn't get anything but an inside stateroom. The only thing available when I booked were inside or Princess Grill suites. I was hoping for an in hull balcony, but I couldn't believe how sad my husband sounded when I told him how small our room will be. I figured we wouldn't be in our room much, anyway.

I didn't have the heart to tell him we might be roused early in the morning by an aerobics class or people on stationary bikes.

As for the forward position, I am a little concerned about that. I have only been on day trip cruise ferries in Europe and wasn't sick at all. I have had airsickness on small prop planes, so I planned on investing in motion sickness tablets and one of those acupressure bands.

Thanks again. :)

The only thing available when I booked were inside or Princess Grill suites.

Check to see what has happened to prices since you booked - I know some of the October sailings have had Balcony prices cut - and there may be availability in other grades. The QM2 is the most stable ship you will sail on - so I would not worry too much about motion.

Peter

Thanks everyone.

As for the forward position, I am a little concerned about that. I have only been on day trip cruise ferries in Europe and wasn't sick at all. I have had airsickness on small prop planes, so I planned on investing in motion sickness tablets and one of those acupressure bands.

Dear Zombie,

I know what you mean about booking cruises with availablity of cabin you prefer. We are booked on a cruise for next March 08 and had to book last month to get what we wanted especially to secure the mealtime we wanted needed and avoid going on waitlist.

Booking around this time for Oct 07 is taking a chance. Many times the lines will want to fill up the ship and bump people already booked to upper grade cabins and fill in those lower that become scattered in placement thru out the ship. Sometimes not the greatest ones.

True, people do not really stay in the cabins all day except for changing and sleeping. But, there are times you wish to lounge around the cabin to take a break from all the activities. It would be nice to have surroundings that are comfortable. I truly haven't experienced inside cabins and admittingly am spoiled with balconies for the last 7 years.

I would not worry about the noise from the Gym itself. Yes, I agree about the joggers on Deck 7. Those on the Outer Rooms especially the In Hull's have stated in the past their concerns of joggers above being out too early or late. The ship even adds a statement in the Daily Programme delivered to all, not to jog before 8AM and after 8PM towards the consideration of those passengers in the below cabins.

True, a statement was made about the stablility of the ship but she does have her faults under certain weather and sea conditions. We were on this past April 07 and had encountered two sea days going and returning to NY. Being a well experienced cruiser and never get seasick except twice in almost 18 cruises, you do have to learn how to encounter and handle it so not to ruin your voyage. During this past voyage, eating at the right time and not too late is important. Also proper time to take the seasickness medication (I never take it - but had too) was important to get a restful sleep. I was not alone on the ship, unfortuately there were many more affected. Granted, she is stable but still is exposed to the elements.

Really hope the Upgrade Fairy would find her way to your cabin or before the cruise to make a change in your favor.

Oh, if we ever cruise again, we'd definitely book further in advance. We didn't find out that I was definitely going to be able to settle in the UK until earlier this month and I have to be there within a certain date. It was my dream to come over on a ship, so, yes, I feel fortunate to have any tickets at all.

I will likely call Cunard this week just to see if any upgrades are available. I don't mean the upgrade fairy, but the paid kind. :D

I will likely call Cunard this week just to see if any upgrades are available. I don't mean the upgrade fairy, but the paid kind. :D

You might also check to see if there are any available cabins in the same category you booked. There could have been some cancelations for other inside cabins in other locations. If you have choices, look at what is directly over the cabin before making a final decision. To be under another cabin is your best choice. Good luck.

You are getting ready to cross on an amazing ship. You will have a wonderful time no matter what cabin you have.

Beth

Dear Zombie,

Yes, please call Cunard as the cruise advisor are very helpful on the phone and will assist you in anyway they can with information. Remember, they have the master computers for all the space on the ship and is the direct source.

We have always found it's good to reserve as early as you wish and possible especially if there are some cruises that only happen once or twice a year. These I think you will agree with me, will go fast with reservations.

My suggestion before boarding, review that deck plan each day for about a week or two before the trip to aquaint yourself with the ships layout. I do this all the time and feel more comfortable once I walk onboard. It is fun to be surprised, but the Mary has alot for you to learn about her. You do want to take advance of all the good things available to you during your stay onboard. So to know her earlier, you can get to where you wish abit faster.

Thanks everyone. I was a little nervous because my husband is a little disappointed we couldn't get anything but an inside stateroom. The only thing available when I booked were inside or Princess Grill suites. I was hoping for an in hull balcony, but I couldn't believe how sad my husband sounded when I told him how small our room will be. I figured we wouldn't be in our room much, anyway.

I didn't have the heart to tell him we might be roused early in the morning by an aerobics class or people on stationary bikes.

For motion sickness, I recommend patches that you put behind your hear. They seem to work best.

Regardless of where your stateroom will be, just enjoy the beauty of the ship.

:)

Zombie,

First let me say congrats and good luck.

There may always be a late cancellation from someone who cannot go for one reason or another.

Second, I happen to be a travel agent. I felt sad about your husband's sadness, so I thought I would look at the online booking system. You are correct in that there are only Q2 grill and D5 insides left on this crossing, at least according to the reservation systems that outside travel agents access. There is an agent who posts here who is much more knowledgable and experienced than I am. Feel free to chime in, Babette if you know something beyond what I have posted here. By now, I think all reserved group space which did not get booked should have been returned to Cunard, though I am not positive about that.

One thing I would strongly recommend to you is that you call Cunard in the morning and ask them to waitlist you for the hull or even obstructed view balcony cabins. At least if you are waitlisted, they will try to fulfill that request if one should open before giving a free upgrade to someone else. All other categories do indicate they are waitlisted. Since final payments should have already been in, now would be the period when they are shifting passengers about.

Good luck on getting an outside or balcony cabin. Some of the res reps are very kind and helpful and if you explain their dilemma, they will do their best.

I hope you do succeed. That is very sad to have that kind of disappointment when you are really looking forward to it.

Karie,

whose heart goes out to you, but look on the bright side. It's an adventure you are about to embark on. Spend time on 2 deck along the sides where there are tables next to portholes very close to the waterline. It's pretty fascinating and exciting!

Thanks, Karie. I didn't see this until today, and I thank you for looking. Hubby is better about it now. On our first honeymoon, we went to Vegas and had a smallish (but not that small) room on the Strip. When I told him what we got for a stateroom he said, "Well, honey, I don't care if it's the same size as our room at the Stratosphere." Of course, the stateroom is smaller, and I told him so. He then asked if it was smaller than our first apartment (our first place was a studio), and I had to answer that, yes, it is smaller than our first apartment.

Now he's back to being excited about travelling and told me not to bother upgrading to the grill suite. If we get bumped, we get bumped. If not, we'll still have fun and be comfy. If we like this trip, we can always book other cruises in the future either through a TA or far enough in the future to get a balcony or suite. Time was of the essence for this trip as I am immigrating to the UK to live with him and his family. I needed to cross within 28 days of my visa issue so when I go for my ILR, I won't run into problems.

I am excited on so many levels and I wanted to sail to the UK when I went there to live. Sort of an reversal of what my family did a few generations ago. Plus I am a *horrible* flier. I fly if I have to fly, but hubby says his hand feels like a tenderized roast by the time we land.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I am ruing the fact I didn't use a travel agent and didn't think to check what was above us before I booked our tickets.

I wouldn't worry too much about not using an agent. There are only very few who cold reliably advise on a good cabin.:)

HI

Congratulations on coming over to the UK and Welcome.

What a wonderful way to travel here, a TA is best way to enjoy the ship, 1st dont worry at all about motion sickness the QM2 is so stable, 2nd I would not worry too much about noise from anywhere the cabins are very soundproof, but keep asking cunard im sure they will help.

also I think as your on the ship for 6 days you will be up late and up early to see and enjoy the ship, so get up and use the gym early then use the ship to the full, you need all the hours and all 6 days to see everything

have a great trip and I hope you settle well here in the UK

I was in a 6 deck aft cabin, and my experience was hardly any noise at all.

The only (good) exception was the slight whine and hum of the propeller.

(#6265 is in the area right above the starboard forward prop)

And the only other noises I can think of was the slamming of doors as pax came out of thier cabins onto the balconies. And the occasional walking couple on the promenade deck. But you'll be fine.

My only concern was the noise I was making walking down the passageways. Seems that the carpet doesn't do a good job in buffering the sound from the steel deck below. But nobody complained. Heck, I even tried walking in my socks one late night, and I still made some sound! Gee ... I'm not that heavy!! :D ;)

All in all, you picked a great ship .... enjoy! :)

My only concern was the noise I was making walking down the passageways. Seems that the carpet doesn't do a good job in buffering the sound from the steel deck below. But nobody complained. Heck, I even tried walking in my socks one late night, and I still made some sound! Gee ... I'm not that heavy!! :D ;)

Vic,

Was that BEFORE or AFTER all those fine meals in the Britannia restaurant! :p

Love ya!

Karie,

who can't wait to meet Vic (in Costume) On October 31st!

Archived