Virginia Birth Certificate

ritak

I had misplaced my son's bc a couple of years back and got a duplicate from our Office of Vital Statistics. It is a certified copyand has a watermark, however, it does NOT have a raised seal. I called about it, and the office said they have stopped embossing the bcs. I am nervous about this. Has anyone else faced this situation?

Thanks.

FWIW... The Texas ones don't have a traditional raised seal, but if you run your finger across the state seal you can feel that it has a significantly different texture than the rest of the paper.

States are different. In some you can get a plastic card for a birth certificate. I've seen those back when I did check-in. The important thing is that it's a certified copy, not just a photocopy of a certified copy. Instead of thinking "raised seal" (not a good descriptive term as the footsie hospital certificates often have a raised seal) think, "issued by a govt. agency". That's what really matters.

I had misplaced my son's bc a couple of years back and got a duplicate from our Office of Vital Statistics. It is a certified copyand has a watermark, however, it does NOT have a raised seal. I called about it, and the office said they have stopped embossing the bcs. I am nervous about this. Has anyone else faced this situation?

Thanks.

You should be fine. I live in Virginia as well, and worried about the same thing, since my daughters passport's seal wasn't raised either (though my son's was).

It was never even questioned! :)

Have a great trip!!

South Carolina doesn't have a raised seal either and we've had no problems whatsoever with this birth certificate. We've been on several cruises with it and got a passport with it also.

My daughters SC BC does have a raised seal. It is a wallet size, but official. We have had no problem using it.

I also had to send off for a new one for myself, when I was ready to get a passport. It came with a seal, too!

Archived