Misc question

chri1720

Just booked my first cruise:D! I have been doing quite a lot of research and have some questions:

1. When the ship reaches a particular port, when do you actually get off the ship and when exactly do you have to be back? Is it the same time they tell you on the iteinary or do you have to factor in 1 hour each side? I'm trying to plan some private tours and need to make sure i don't give the driver/ tour guide the wrong time frame.

2. Is there an age limit on the video arcade on the ship? Can people around 20s use it as well or is it limited to teens?

3. Do cruise ships provide rackets and balls for on board table tennis, tennis, basketball or golf or do you have to bring your own?

Thanks.

Welcome to the great world of cruising. You'll be hooked after your first cruise.

As far as leaving and returning to the ship generally speaking you can leave the ship an hour after docking. You have to wait for the gangways to be put in place and customs to clear the ship. The ship usually docks a little before the time on the itinerary so you will be getting off about a half hour or so after that time. To play it safe plan on an hour after the printed time. On the return you have to be back on board around an hour before the ship leaves. Sometimes this varies but an hour is a good time to plan excursions by.

I have seen a few adults in the video room but I don't know what their policy is on that.

As far as sporting equipment, they do supply clubs, rackets etc. If you plan on tennis I would bring a few balls because they do run out of them.

Now you have the hardest part about cruising; waiting for the day you leave. Have a great trip.

Just booked my first cruise:D! I have been doing quite a lot of research and have some questions:

Congratulation on your first cruise. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. When the ship reaches a particular port, when do you actually get off the ship and when exactly do you have to be back? Is it the same time they tell you on the iteinary or do you have to factor in 1 hour each side? I'm trying to plan some private tours and need to make sure i don't give the driver/ tour guide the wrong time frame.

It all depends on how long it takes the local authorities to clear the ship. But, I would estimate about 1 hour before you can be off the ship. Most cruise lines ask that you be back on the ship 30 minutes before sailing. If you book your own private tours be aware that if you are late returning to the ship it sails without you. So, arrange to be back a good deal earlier just in case you encounter traffic jams, a broken down car or whatever that could result in your missing the ship.

2. Is there an age limit on the video arcade on the ship? Can people around 20s use it as well or is it limited to teens?

Anyone can use any of the games on the ships we've been on. You might want to post this question on the cruise ship board for the cruise you are booked on.

3. Do cruise ships provide rackets and balls for on board table tennis, tennis, basketball or golf or do you have to bring your own?

Yes. They will provide basketballs if they have a hoop, they will provide equipment for table tennis and deck tennis. For those ships that have a putting green or other gold simulators, etc., they provide balls and clubs.

Keith

Depends on the port and ship and time of year.

Some ports have a different time zone compared to where you

left from.

(this is why time of year is important)

Some ships change their clocks to island time.

(this is why the name of the ship is important)

sailed 10 times and only once changed time to reflect the island time.

Some ports are tendered. Most you just walk off the ship.

If booking a private excurion in a tendered port-- the cruiselines allow passengers that booked the excursion directly from them to get off the ship first.

On your itinerary--you MUST always be back onboard 30 minutes before the posted time.

the posted time is for sailing away.. so if the time states 5pm-- you must be onboard before 4:30pm

Depends on the port and ship and time of year.

Some ports have a different time zone compared to where you

left from.

(this is why time of year is important)

Some ships change their clocks to island time.

(this is why the name of the ship is important)

sailed 10 times and only once changed time to reflect the island time.

Some ports are tendered. Most you just walk off the ship.

If booking a private excurion in a tendered port-- the cruiselines allow passengers that booked the excursion directly from them to get off the ship first.

On your itinerary--you MUST always be back onboard 30 minutes before the posted time.

the posted time is for sailing away.. so if the time states 5pm-- you must be onboard before 4:30pm

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm from the UK going on a cruise to mediterranean with NCL Jade next year in Aug. Some of the ports that we go to do have different time zones, so what time zone is the itinerary written for? The UK? or individual ports? This can be potentially misleading and costly

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm from the UK going on a cruise to mediterranean with NCL Jade next year in Aug. Some of the ports that we go to do have different time zones, so what time zone is the itinerary written for? The UK? or individual ports? This can be potentially misleading and costly

the time on the itinerary will be the time on the ship-- not the port.

The tour operators will know what ships change times.

May I suggest you look in the port of calls board and ask this particular question for each port. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Archived