Average cost of a bottle of wine

billsbrowneyedgirl

Just curious, as we are taking first cruise. I wonder what the Cab's go for in the dining room, and what brands you have seen. We are from Washington State, so of couse I love our wines. I know you can take 2 bottles, and if taken to the dining room, a $25 corkage fee applies, which some may think sounds spendy, but depending on the price and brand, it very well may be a bargain for me.

This is one of those times where the Mean, the Median & the Modal might be very different.

The Celebrity wine list goes very high indeed - they have bottles from boutique Californian wineries (and Washington ones as well, quite possibly), or classed-growth clarets/premium domaine burgundies, for hundred of dollars a bottle. Possibly many hundred of dollars. I didn't pay too much attention to those bottles, since that's not the market I'm buying from!

Mainly I drank individual glasses, but I can tell you that I bought a bottle of Sancerre for $41, plus the dreaded 15% which brought it to $47.15. And I bought a number of glasses of a Wente Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon that I really loved, and they were $8.25 a glass; so about $40 for the bottle?

There were some 'Celebrity' wines - a Chardonnay, a Shiraz and probably others, and I think they were somewhere in the $20s for the bottle.

The better/more expensive the bottle, the more that corkage fee looks like a good deal. If you can bring a bottle aboard that you've paid $50 for, and which they are selling for $100 in the restaurant, then you're ahead.

This list is from December 2006, so there may be (probably are) changes in price and/or selection. It should nevertheless give you a good idea of what to expect. One more point of interest, if you order one of the higher priced bottles they bring out Reidel crystal glasses for service. Very nice indeed.

The expensive Cellar Masters Selections

Celebrity Galaxy Wine List

Champagnes Sparkling wines

http://www.our-cruises.com/galaxy/winelistb_sm.htm

White wines - Chardonnay

White wines - Sauvignon Blanc, Fume blanc, Semillon

White wines - Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Other varietals

Red, Rose and Blush wines - Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.our-cruises.com/galaxy/winelistf_sm.htm

Red wines - Proprietary Cabernet blendshttp://www.our-cruises.com/galaxy/winelistg_sm.htm

Red wines - Merlot/Malbec, Pinot Noir

http://www.our-cruises.com/galaxy/winelistg_sm.htm

Red wines - Gamay, Zinfandel, Shiraz/Syrah, Granache and blends

http://www.our-cruises.com/galaxy/winelisti_sm.htm

Red wines - Sangiovese, Tempranillo, other red varietals

http://www.our-cruises.com/galaxy/winelistj_sm.htm

Have a wonderful cruise,

Marlee

being from Calif also love my wines. Actually, the Celebrity brand is fairly good- I think Kendall Jackson (higher end of their selelctions). Their Cab actually wasn't too bad- not silver oak, but not bad. Their somellier(sp?) are very good- talk to them outside the dining room and you can get some good picks at the right price. As you know, price is not always a good indicator or quality, or of what your individual pallete likes. If you are a Celebrity elite or something level (5 or more Celebrity cruises) they not only have a wine tasting, but also a wine blending that was excellent! If you have a bottle sent to your cabin before cruising there is no 15%, and your cabin steward can open it and always makes sure you have clean glasses. Good bedtime nightcap without having to go out. Their own Cab is $23 this way!!

That 2-bottle limit -- does that apply if you're willing to pay corkage?

If I was from this kind poster's neck of the woods -- and the two-bottle limit didn't apply -- I'd ship a case to the dock...put it on board and gladly pay the corkage.

That 2-bottle limit -- does that apply if you're willing to pay corkage?

If I was from this kind poster's neck of the woods -- and the two-bottle limit didn't apply -- I'd ship a case to the dock...put it on board and gladly pay the corkage.

The 2 bottle limit is for bringing it on board, period. Corkage applies if you bring, or have it sent, to the dining room or open in a lounge area - regardless of how you got it on board or how many you brought on board. There is no corkage if you drink it in your room, and your room steward will bring you glasses and a ice bucket for white wines - but ask ahead of time if you can.

Years ago we brought lots of wine on board (before the 2 bottle limit), but no longer do (except maybe one bottle of nice Champagne for sail-away). Over time we found that Celebrity's wine list was much to our liking, prices were not high for a restaurant/resort (with some actual bargains here and there). We even found that some of the wines we brought on board were on the list, it seemed silly bringing these to dinner. We also discovered the Martini Bar and now we have our before dinner drinks there - instead of wine in your cabin. We really enjoy the atmosphere in there, and in other lounges, and also enjoy the opportunity to meet other passengers in these areas.

I have read differing accounts of how tightly they enforce the 2 bottle limit. Some have reported tight enforcement, some have reported no enforcement, and some have said all wine in checked luggage was held until end of cruise and that they couldn't get 2 bottles back due to logistics - so carry it on and know that enforcement is inconsistent if you choose to try and bring more than 2 bottles on.

Anyone have any experience on how a magnum is treated? As one bottle or two? Same corkage fee? Just curious. We are still bringing a couple of bottles of what we consider special pinot noir from Oregon, just cuz it seems like a good idea and we love them so much . . .

If you can bring a bottle aboard that you've paid $50 for, and which they are selling for $100 in the restaurant, then you're ahead.

The courtesy extended by dining establishments, either on land or on the high-seas, to bring your own wine (even when a corkage charge is imposed) is just that - a courtesy. A patron does not have a right to this privilege and the restaurateur has no obligation to extend it (and many do not). This is especially true if your selection coincides with a vintage which is on their wine list. In such a case, the restaurant has every right, and IMHO would be fully justified, to decline to serve your wine. To quote Harvey Steiman Senior Editor of Wine Spectator and one of the world's leading authorities on wine in his book Wine Spectator's Essentials of Wine, "Don't bring a wine that the restaurant sells. Saving a few bucks this way is cheap and insulting. Instead, choose wines from your own cellar that you have been saving for a special occasion." If in doubt, contact the cruise line in advance and request a copy of their current list (a practice we have always followed) or review their list once you are on board - this can be accomplished even before the first evening's meal. If your wine is the same as their's you can always take it back home.

John F.

I'd ship a case to the dock...put it on board and gladly pay the corkage.

That's exactly what a gentleman did on our cruise on the Galaxy July 23rd.

He brought a mixed case of 12 bottles of high-end reds and took it straight on board the first day. Each night he brought a bottle to dinner and paid the $25 corkage fee.

He said that staff didn't hassle him at all when boarding with it.

I suspect it's the luck of the draw.

Archived