Photo Books

Yup. Can we suggest they do that?

I don't see why not. They do ask for feedback. I guess we can e-mail tptb and suggest a feature that enlarges the viewing so we can read the journaling. I know sometimes webpages do have a feature that you can adjust the font size. Let's give it a try.

I did not realize how wonderful these books would be when I started this thread, but now I am hooked. The company I use now is called Blurb. Several books later and I am not disapointed. The cost per book is excellent and from the looks of their website alot of profesional photographers use Blurb too. If you realy want to sell your work their site offers this option too. I am working on a 350 page book right now. Several background,frames, layouts etc. are available along with several book sizes to choose from. Since the pricing is so good, I am now able to put alot more photos is my books since I a not limited to only a few pages. I highly recomend looking at this site...I don't think you will be disapointed.:)

I did not realize how wonderful these books would be when I started this thread, but now I am hooked. The company I use now is called Blurb. Several books later and I am not disapointed. The cost per book is excellent and from the looks of their website alot of profesional photographers use Blurb too. If you realy want to sell your work their site offers this option too. I am working on a 350 page book right now. Several background,frames, layouts etc. are available along with several book sizes to choose from. Since the pricing is so good, I am now able to put alot more photos is my books since I a not limited to only a few pages. I highly recomend looking at this site...I don't think you will be disapointed.:)

I have a few questions to ask.

What is the web address of this site? *** Is it free or is there an annual fee for signing up?[ *** Is there any program or software to download? ***

And once you finish your book can you share with us? Just post the link, I'd love to view it.:D

Yes it is free. Once you go to the website you can download their program (free) and you are all set to create.

To give you an idea for pricing: 10X8 Standard Landscape.

a 440 page book will run between $79-100. 200 pages $44-65. When you visit the web site you will see the selection available is extensive. From soft cover to Printed cover and inbetween.

I have included a link to my first 2 books. The site only lets you preveiw the first 15 pages which is the only negative, but you can get the idea. I am starting to put 1 picture per page now, but the option to have many is available.

The covers I had put on are called a hard cover image wrap and they are directly attached to the book, not a wrap - my only advise is not to do black for this type of cover as you can really notice creases the more people look at it. A entire photo looks very good as I did in my second book.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/299747/b628c6ec2ea75a7184c1ed4983ac4a9d

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/299750/fd40238191366cc1f2313cdf8d1ed519

www.blurb.com

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thank you. Unfortunatly some of my best photos are not within the first 15 pages.

I liked your book as well. Very Clever inserting the map.

You may find that Blurb does not give you as many embelishments as Shutterfly, but the price and quality has won me over.

Yes it is free. Once you go to the website you can download their program (free) and you are all set to create.

a 440 page book will run between $79-100. 200 pages $44-65. When you visit the web site you will see the selection available is extensive. From soft cover to Printed cover and inbetween.

I have included a link to my first 2 books. The site only lets you preveiw the first 15 pages which is the only negative, but you can get the idea. I am starting to put 1 picture per page now, but the option to have many is available.

The covers I had put on are called a hard cover image wrap and they are directly attached to the book, not a wrap - my only advise is not to do black for this type of cover as you can really notice creases the more people look at it. A entire photo looks very good as I did in my second book.

www.blurb.com

Thanks for the link and the info. As soon as I have a book worth making I will give this a try. I love both your preview books. WOW!!! Those first 15 pages are beautiful. I did watch the 37 minute How To video. looks easy with many options. Thanks again for sharing. :D

Thank you. I am fairly new to photography and these books have given me such a wonderful way to display my photos. The book I am working on right now is all about the city I live in, I look at everything diferent now and see how I can put it in a photograph. I love looking through the books on Blurb the creativity is endless.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently made a photobook about autumn here is the link if your care to view it. Let me know what you think?

I have recently made a Shutterfly page and if you would like to visit, here is the link:

http://joannectraveladventures.shutterfly.com/

Link to this page

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/aboutme/start.sfly?alias=JoanneC131

Welcome Autumn

Description:

Nature | 8x8 Story Book | Pages:20 | Posted:Nov 5,2008

While exploring my neighborhood I couldn't ignore the beauty of the season. The trees, the scarecrows and the doors that all were calling out "Welcome and come on in". I had to get my camera and snap away the beauty that Autumn has to offer.

Link to photo book in the Shutterfly Gallery:

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDFg3bOW7Vy1YgVKw6Cu

Nature | 8x8 Story Book | Pages:20 | Posted:Nov 5,2008

I am working on our Triumph Eastern Caribbean cruise books. Yes, books. There will be 4 books all maxed out at 101 pages each. I am tweaking them a little every day as I have time to go on the site and do them. They will cost a fortune, but we will love them. I am also working on a smaller album of the same cruise to give as gifts to the people we cruised with. They are 101 pages too, just the smaller album.

I think I have definitely gone overboard with them all, but sure am having fum compiling them. Soon, they will be done.

I am working on our Triumph Eastern Caribbean cruise books. Yes, books. There will be 4 books all maxed out at 101 pages each. I am tweaking them a little every day as I have time to go on the site and do them. They will cost a fortune, but we will love them. I am also working on a smaller album of the same cruise to give as gifts to the people we cruised with. They are 101 pages too, just the smaller album.

I think I have definitely gone overboard with them all, but sure am having fum compiling them. Soon, they will be done.

IMHO, these books are worth the money. The will last for years to come and can be enjoyed with family & friends over and over again. You can always take advantage of the free shipping and 40% off that they offer from time to time. Once your books are finished post a link so we can view them. By the way who knows how many pages my book will be next year when I go on my 14 day cruise. :eek: ;) So far I have only done 20 page books but I know the next vacation will have at least twice as much.

• 4 weeks later...

www.blurb.com

I checked out your books and they looked great.

My DW and I are going to do a blurb book instead of a photo album from our recent cruise. Good tip regarding the black cover! Let us know if you have any other helpful tips!

I'll post the book when we complete it.

Michael

Hi,

I was wondering about the 2 page spread of the indoor pool. Was there a 2 page template that allowed you to do this, or did you crop your photo into 2 halves and put one on each page? I just love the effect!

I only have experience with Shutterfly so far but the quality of your book looks great so I may have to check it out for my next one. I'll have to see if they ship to Canada.

Thank you, you will not be disapointed with Blurb. I never planned the pool page when I took the pictures, but I was able to make 2 seperate photos work. I set each page to a full photo then manipulated the photos until it worked out to look like one. I did this with several other photos in the book and ithey looked like I planned it that way. Now I know it works, I take pictures to do this.

Yes, Blurb ships to Canada. I have had no problems having them shipped to me. I use Picassa 3 (an excellent program offered by Google) to crop and make changes before putting them in the book. The books I am making now have only one picture per page and usualy have a black background, but I notice looking through the books on Blurb site, alot of great photograpers use white. I now take photos to tell a story about my trips and it has made me look at my suroundins alot closer and with a more creative eye.

Question for CrusierForever:

I want to add some pictures that are not digital to a photobook in Shutterfly - should I scan them into a folder and then upload them - or just take pictures of them and go from there? I know you have some really great B&W old photos on your webpage and you had to get them uploaded into Shutterfly one way or another! LOL! How'd you do that!?! :)

Thanks for the help!!

Question for CrusierForever:

I want to add some pictures that are not digital to a photobook in Shutterfly - should I scan them into a folder and then upload them - or just take pictures of them and go from there? I know you have some really great B&W old photos on your webpage and you had to get them uploaded into Shutterfly one way or another! LOL! How'd you do that!?! :)

Thanks for the help!!

Thanks, those are photos of my mom, dad and grandparents too. Glad you liked them.:)

What I did was scan them and then added them into my photo library as jpegs. I then added them into a folder on Shutterfly. The only problem is my scanner isn't that great so I couldn't make a book out of the pictures. Some showed a warning symbol. So I just added them to my site. I am thinking {and if anyone know the correct answer to this please post it} that you can go to a Wal-mart and have them put your old pictures on a DVD they will do the scanning and then upload to Shutterfly like any other digital photos. .

NonniIncatasciato1926.jpg

NonniSalesi-1.jpg

Your scanner might have configuration settings that allow you to scan at a higher quality - this is slower and results in larger files so it probably is not the default.

You could also try taking a picture of your b&w pictures with your digital camera. If they are set up correctly (flat, no glare, etc), and you get the lighting done well, they might turn out well. Maybe Pierces has some thoughts on this.

I know I did a similar trick for the slides I had that I wanted to digitalize (without having a slide scanner). I set up my camera, then projected each slide and took a picture of it. Most of them turned out okay.

Your scanner might have configuration settings that allow you to scan at a higher quality - this is slower and results in larger files so it probably is not the default.

You could also try taking a picture of your b&w pictures with your digital camera. If they are set up correctly (flat, no glare, etc), and you get the lighting done well, they might turn out well. Maybe Pierces has some thoughts on this.

I know I did a similar trick for the slides I had that I wanted to digitalize (without having a slide scanner). I set up my camera, then projected each slide and took a picture of it. Most of them turned out okay.

Thanks so much for the ideas & tricks!! I think I will try taking pictures of the pictures. My camera has the close up detail function - at least it's worth a try!

One year we were snowed in at our house and my Mom brought down her old projector and reels of old old film..... and we set up a theater by using a white wall .... we ran the old films and with her (wow this sounds funny) high tech VHS camera & tri-pod we filmed the old reels and I played some classical music in the background and we now have old film on old VHS tapes!! HA! Now I need to get the VHS tapes on DVD's! Holy Cow! What we do to preserve these priceless memories! LOL!!

Happy New Year to this great CC Board!!

Archived