Fall Foliage question

rcprncss

I was interested in the 6 night Fall Foliage cruise in October out of NY. The stops are:

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Bar Harbor, Maine

Boston, Massachusetts

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Any recommendations/tips on this cruise itinerary? I have not sailed with NCL before either.

Thanks! :)

I was interested in the 6 night Fall Foliage cruise in October out of NY. The stops are:

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Bar Harbor, Maine

Boston, Massachusetts

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts

Any recommendations/tips on this cruise itinerary? I have not sailed with NCL before either.

Thanks! :)

We did a 7 day last year in early September. Foliage was just as green as on Long Island. We wore shorts for the whole cruise. Only place the color was changing was on top of Acadia National Park and very cool to boot.

You should be good early October. It gets really cool up there after that.

Make sure you have the lobster bake in Maine. It was fantastic. Best lobster we ever had.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

Exactly when the foliage turns color is up to Mother Nature. We are starting to see a few leaves change now, but that doesn't predict what the actual timing will be. As mentioned, probably the first two weeks of October will be good for color. However, it will be cool on board ship when at sea. Mornings will be cool, but will warm up as the day goes by. Polartec lined jacket or heavy sweatshirt will work unless it's raining. Then a waterproof jacket will be needed.

At Boston, take the HOHO tour bus for the greatest mode of transportation and the ability to see all the sites in one day. I don't know about the trees on the Common, if they change color or not. Martha's Vineyard has cliff's but not much foliage; it should be a neat place to just ride a bike if you are able bodied.

As far as NCL, they are last on my list for cruise lines; Budget class. However, many people love them. The ship will be your mode of transportation and hotel accommodations as well as for food. Freestyle Dining is OK, but NCL doesn't have a great system for keeping the lines down to a minimum. We did not like their buffet at all. The staff however, are the friendliest we have ever encountered. They really nickle and dime you for drinks and photo's, so be aware.

Have a great trip.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

You'll find more info about this over on the Roll Call Boards and the both the Canada and New England Boards. We will be on the Spirit, Oct. 28 and will most likely miss peak season for this cruise but the price is right! And, it will probably be peak season in NYC around that time so work in a visit to Central Park as it will be lovely! Be sure and join your roll call!

Don't miss "The Campgrounds" in Martha's Vineyard. This is a collection of beautifully preserved victorian cottages in a park like setting. It's only a short walk from the pier.

I was there in the summer and it was beautiful, but the area should be magnificent in fall colors

We did this cruise last year in September. A great cruise lovely weather (apart from the late Boston afternoon). Living where we are, we get the autumn foliage anyway so it wasn't a problem.

You will enjoy this cruise anyway have a great time.

Please feel free to check out the pics in my signature.

We did this cruise last year in September. A great cruise lovely weather (apart from the late Boston afternoon). Living where we are, we get the autumn foliage anyway so it wasn't a problem.

You will enjoy this cruise anyway have a great time.

Please feel free to check out the pics in my signature.

Thanks so much! I enjoyed your pictures!

Hi, I am from Martha's Vineyard and if I can answer any questions please let me know!!

My husband and I will be on the Spirit Sept. 23 which stops at Martha's Vineyard on the 28th. Are there are taxis available at the pier that we can hire for an hour or two to show us some of the island rather than the 3 1/2 hour tour offered by NCL? Walking is difficult for me but we would really like to see some of the island.

Archived