Immunizations for Western Caribbean cruise?

HokiePoq

We're on the Veendam in December and hope to go on excursions in Belize and the other two central American ports. Do you have to get immunizations?

Will they send this info in the cruise documents when we get them? Will that be soon enough to establish immunity? I tried the links from their webpage and wasn't sure after looking through CDC webpage.

(I'll ask my doctor but not sure that he would know, either.)

Here is a link to the CDC site relative to travel within Belize:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationBelize.aspx

Belize does not require any special vacinations unless you have recently travelled to an area that has a lot of yellow fever. This is to protect them from the fever. Belize is a common port on many cruise ship intineraries and the overwhelming number of annual passengers/visitors do not concern themselves with the possibility of acquiring an illness during their brief stay.

Only you and your doctor can determine if it makes sense to acquire immunization based upon your own vulnerability.

Everyone who travels outside of the USA borders need to have Hep A and B plus Td (tetanus and diptheria) booster. This just makes sense to protect you no matter what you eat or drink. The Hep A is a two shot series and the B is a three shot series. Your blood work can be checked to see your titers (how well your immunity is working) to see if you need boosters if the series has been done a long time ago. Most Td are good for 10 years but if you are in health care or are doing mission work aboard every 5 years will give better protection.

LHC

Everyone who travels outside of the USA borders need to have Hep A and B plus Td (tetanus and diptheria) booster. This just makes sense to protect you no matter what you eat or drink. The Hep A is a two shot series and the B is a three shot series. Your blood work can be checked to see your titers (how well your immunity is working) to see if you need boosters if the series has been done a long time ago. Most Td are good for 10 years but if you are in health care or are doing mission work aboard every 5 years will give better protection.

LHC

Hep A and B are now required in some school systems. Might make sense for all whether or not you travel out of the country.

After cruising the world for over 30 years, and never getting a shot, we think we have the perfect solution. Alcohol! Lots and lots of alcohol. Alcohol kills most everything (including livers) so we liberally drink on all cruises and very seldom get sick.

Hank

After cruising the world for over 30 years, and never getting a shot, we think we have the perfect solution. Alcohol! Lots and lots of alcohol. Alcohol kills most everything (including livers) so we liberally drink on all cruises and very seldom get sick.

Hank

Sounds like a plan to me:) The quinine in the tonic water is also helpful against malaria!

bring some bug stuff with DET. I use the wipe on ones. On our Mayan tour in Dec. in Guatemala the guide sprayed his with his own supply but it didn't seem to be buggy. Sometimes rains alot in Belize so if you get off the ship for a tour put some on. Do not drink the water or eat there. Enough food on the ship! We loved seeing these ports tho.:p

Hank

GREAT POST, Hank!

Like I tell my husband.... "It's vacation! Let's smoke and drink!". :D

Everyone who travels outside of the USA borders need to have Hep A and B plus Td (tetanus and diptheria) booster. This just makes sense to protect you no matter what you eat or drink. The Hep A is a two shot series and the B is a three shot series. Your blood work can be checked to see your titers (how well your immunity is working) to see if you need boosters if the series has been done a long time ago. Most Td are good for 10 years but if you are in health care or are doing mission work aboard every 5 years will give better protection.LHC

They now have a combination Hep A/B shot...I was able to get it from our State Public Health Dept last year..The charge was, $218 for 2 Yellow Fever shots (DH & me) plus my Hep.A/B combo shot.. DH refused to get the Hep.A/B shot until our Dr. told him he was nuts, not to get it..LOL.

Even though our our Doctor's practice is part of our large Regianal Hospital, he could not get the combo shot...Instead gave DH a two shot series last year...I don't understand why Hospitals & Dr.'s practices who are associated with Hospitals, don't have access to the new Shots that can be obtained from the Public Health Dept..

Archived