Teen going on seperate shore excursions?

SereneOne

Yes or No?

We are first time cruisers and are hoping to go on our first cruise May 4th on the Mariner to Haiti, Jamacia, Grand Caymans and Mexico. We are waiting to hear back from RCI to see if our special needs toddler can participate in their kid program, if not we are going with Carnival to Belize, Mexico and Bahamas. (RCI kids have to be completely potty trained to be in the kids program, our daughter is, but with her physical birth defects, her bowels can get sluggish and sometime has an accident. Carnival has no rules about this.) We have a teen son who will be 18 this November. We where going on tours that our toddler could do...in Haiti, we where going to do the hour walking tour (carrying her) and then spend the rest of the day on the beach....he is going to rent a waverunner and enjoy the waterpark they have there. In Jamacia, we where going to go on the Ocho Rios tour, see the Falls and such and shop, eat. He wants to do tubing or snubaing or what not. In Grand Caymens we figured we would do the submarine thing and visit the Turtle Farm and StringRay Farm tour...again, he wants to do something more action oriented. In Mexico, we want to tour the Mayan ruins...he wants action, action, action. Is it safe for him to be booked on another excursion on the cruise line? There will be other cruisers from the ship...my number one concern is his safety, but I do understand him wanting to enjoy himself on his cruise. Also, is there "stuff" for 18yo to do on board? There is a teen disco, but you can't be more than 17...and the adult dance lounge I am thinking would mainly be 30's and up. This is his graduation gift but we are also celebrating me graduating college, our 12 year anniversary and hopefully a honeymoon we never had.

Thanks for any advice!

My name is Sheri and I look forward to getting to know other cruisers!!

Yes or No?

We have a teen son who will be 18 this November. We where going on tours that our toddler could do...in Haiti, we where going to do the hour walking tour (carrying her) and then spend the rest of the day on the beach....he is going to rent a waverunner and enjoy the waterpark they have there. In Jamacia, we where going to go on the Ocho Rios tour, see the Falls and such and shop, eat. He wants to do tubing or snubaing or what not. In Grand Caymens we figured we would do the submarine thing and visit the Turtle Farm and StringRay Farm tour...again, he wants to do something more action oriented. In Mexico, we want to tour the Mayan ruins...he wants action, action, action. Is it safe for him to be booked on another excursion on the cruise line? There will be other cruisers from the ship...my number one concern is his safety, but I do understand him wanting to enjoy himself on his cruise.

Although I don't sail Carnival, I believe many cruiselines have excursions targeted for teens. The only place I might have a concern with is Jamaica (crime). I would make sure he had a "buddy" even on a cruise sponsored excursion.

Also, is there "stuff" for 18yo to do on board? There is a teen disco, but you can't be more than 17...and the adult dance lounge I am thinking would mainly be 30's and up. This is his graduation gift but we are also celebrating me graduating college, our 12 year anniversary and hopefully a honeymoon we never had.

Thanks for any advice!

I am sure there will be people 18-21 for your son. he will have a wonderful time!

I am sure there will be people 18-21 for your son. he will have a wonderful time!

Thanks! He hangs out with kids around 16-19...I hope they won't be too mature for him...but hey, in nine months and him turning 18 in three months, maybe he will be with an older crowd by then. :)

Thanks! He hangs out with kids around 16-19...I hope they won't be too mature for him...but hey, in nine months and him turning 18 in three months, maybe he will be with an older crowd by then. :)

And ther will be plenty 16 thru 19. Not to worry:)

My daughter has alway had a great time on the cruise ship meeting people. I would worry about my teen doing an excursion off the ship without me there especially in Jamacia.

On one of our cruises my husband was offered drugs. We were also approached and hassled alot on some of the islands. My daughter was a little overwelmed at times.

My daughter has alway had a great time on the cruise ship meeting people. I would worry about my teen doing an excursion off the ship without me there especially in Jamacia.

On one of our cruises my husband was offered drugs. We were also approached and hassled alot on some of the islands. My daughter was a little overwelmed at times.

That was my worry.:( He likes to act like he is so tough, but I tell him he is not so tough. I am switching to Carnival bc of my special needs daughter. She can now participate in the kid program so we will be doing more exciting shore excursions but has to stay with us! I thought the teen club did not let 18 yo inside...I guess in a big ship they will find ways to get together other than the club. Never been on a cruise so I have no idea.:o

We sort of have the same situation, as you and your DS. Our DD just turned 18 in July and our cruise is in December. AFAIK, 17 is the age limit cut off for most (we've only sailed NCL) teen clubs. I think at their age, our kids will be "forced" to meet their own age group (since they can't participate in the teen club. Thus, lots of teens gather together in a organized setting) by themselves. Not necessarily bad (or good) but probably more difficult.

I'm also wondering about the possibilty of her doing a seperate excursion. She hasn't asked about it, but we really haven't looked at the excursion and decided on anything (also, we tend to only book thru the ship). I think though, if she was comfortable going with a seperate excursion then we went on, and she wanted to, we'd let her. After all, she is an adult :eek: (her and a friend just drove to CA, from Denver, spent a week in San Diego, and drove back...as scary as it was (for her father and I...okay, mostly me :o ), we all survived. Yes, there were a couple of mishaps, but she probably learned a few things too.)

I'm trying to be positive here. Maybe this (a quasi controlled ship booked excursion) is another step towards our goal of raising a independent, self-sufficient young lady.

Have you thought about maybe bringing a friend for him? We have tried to alway bring someone my daughter's age to hang out with. She has always had more fun and I feel a little more comfortable with her being on her own.

I'd say let him go and do what he wants provided that he s a responsible kid. Heck, I think I was living on my own in a mahor city at 18! There is nothing worse than hanging with a teenager who is not having a good time. I'm letting my husband play golf on our cruise for much of the same reasons!

In the end you really have to do what you feel comfortable doing. Is an option for you and your husband to go on two different tours (eg., one goes with the daughter and the other goes with the son).

Again, this really is a personal decision.

Keith

If it were me, I would bring along a buddy for my 18 year old. Either his best friend or a cousin. He would have a lot more fun if there was someone to share his experiences with.

If you don't bring a friend, I think that you and your hubby should split up and one of you go with him on each excursion as the above poster mentioned. With him being 18, this might just be the last time that you do a family vacation together. Make memories!

Excellent suggestions! Thank you all, you are wonderful.:)

We have switched to Carnival and Meg can be in their Camp Carnival, no problems. So our Itinerary is Belize-Cave Tubing and RainForest Walk, Costa Maya-the Kohunlich Ruins, which he wants to see also, Cozumel is snorkeling, seeing a lighthouse and navigational museum while on a jeep tour, and Nassau is going to Breezes resort...if we can we will try to squeeze in one of those submarine excursions. He is totally cool with these and we will all go together. How many are allowed in a balcony room? We have four-dh, me, son and daughter. We could possibly add a friend if they allow a fifth in a balcony.

We are first time cruisers and are hoping to go on our first cruise May 4th on the Mariner to Haiti, Jamacia, Grand Caymans and Mexico. We are waiting to hear back from RCI... if not we are going with Carnival to Belize, Mexico and Bahamas.

SereneOne - Sheri... I hope this is not getting creepy, if you check the replies to a few of you last posts, it might seem like I am stalking you... I do not mean to, but I noticed your counter indicated May 3/08... we will be on that same cruise. I just wanted to catch up to you and invite you over to the May 8/08 Roll Call thread at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11295878#post11295878 All of us there would love to get to meet you etc...

SereneOne - Sheri... I hope this is not getting creepy, if you check the replies to a few of you last posts, it might seem like I am stalking you... I do not mean to, but I noticed your counter indicated May 3/08... we will be on that same cruise. I just wanted to catch up to you and invite you over to the May 8/08 Roll Call thread at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11295878#post11295878 All of us there would love to get to meet you etc...

Oh no, I appreciate it! I was wanting to get to know other people before we went on the cruise. Thank you.:)

Archived