Ammolite jewelry !!!!!!!

puffer46

We will be on a 14 day cruise to the southern carribean in Jan. aboard the Crown Princess. I'm really interested in Ammolite jewelry, especially rings.... Has anyone bought any Ammolite and if so on which island? I do know that on St. Thomas there is a store "Ammolite by the Sea" but with 10 islands to visit just wondering if I could get better prices somewhere else. Ammolite is sooooo beautiful.....Thanks for any info. from fellow

cruisers. Linda

p.s. hope this is the right forum to post this question

We will be on a 14 day cruise to the southern carribean in Jan. aboard the Crown Princess. I'm really interested in Ammolite jewelry, especially rings.... Has anyone bought any Ammolite and if so on which island? I do know that on St. Thomas there is a store "Ammolite by the Sea" but with 10 islands to visit just wondering if I could get better prices somewhere else. Ammolite is sooooo beautiful.....Thanks for any info. from fellow

cruisers. Linda

p.s. hope this is the right forum to post this question

:) You might get more response if you post in the Fashions & Beauty forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

:) You might get more response if you post in the Fashions & Beauty forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Thank you... Wasn't sure where to post my question... I just checked out that forum and all I saw on there was questions about clothing or shoes. Nothing about shopping or jewelry. Now what ????????:confused: :confused:

I love Ammolite, too - have managed to collect a ring for myself and one for my husband, a necklace, earrings, bracelet, and one of the hard to find watches. We have been to the Caribbean at least a dozen times since I started collecting the jewelry - there are authorized dealers for Korite, the Canadian company that mines Ammolite on almost every island. Prices are similar. Colombian Emeralds carries the jewelry on almost every island and Kay Jewelers has a nice selection in St. Martin. By far and away, the place to go for Ammolite - has at least ten times the inventory of any other store - is Ammolite by the Sea in St. Thomas. Ammolite has gone up in price quite a bit, since we started buying it, but compared to other stones, it is still pretty reasonable. Look around, but you won't find the huge selection anywhere else.

I am a might suspicious of Ammolite. It only comes from Canada, so, I ask,'Why do we see so little of it here in Canada?' Cruise ships love it, just as they do Tanzanite. I would stay with the tried and true gems, from your local jeweller, unless you wish to gamble!

john

I am a might suspicious of Ammolite. It only comes from Canada, so, I ask,'Why do we see so little of it here in Canada?' Cruise ships love it, just as they do Tanzanite. I would stay with the tried and true gems, from your local jeweller, unless you wish to gamble!

john

I thought I was the only one who saw things this way. I agree with you 110%. If you really want something made from one of these stones and love the color, go for it. If you think it is a great investment, I would certainly check it out with a good jeweler in the USA.

Nita

My mom bought a beautiful necklace on board the Spirit. They had several pieces to choose from. Maybe the ship you are sailing will offer some, and they have a one year guarantee should you encounter any problems with the piece after you get home.

I can't believe I didn't know of ammolite before reading this thread. Now that I've been researching it online, I fell in love with it and haven't even seen it in person yet. Of course it has to be so expensive. I guess along with my larimar obsession (which is pretty cheap), I might have to add ammolite. Thanks - NOT. ;)

Ammolite by the Sea in St. Thomas is a great place to start. Most of the islands have stores that sale annolite. I got mine in St. Thomas. My mother got a really nice pendant in Nassua. She first noticed the stone in Alaska and regretted not making a purchase.

Another amazing stone to look for is a white fire opal. I've only seen them in one place. I can't think of the name of the store, but it's the jewelry store across from Diamonds International in St. Martin.

Thanks to all who had some input about Ammolite jewelry. I have checked out some Canadian web sites for this jewelry. So now atleast I have some idea of prices to go by when in the islands. I still want to buy a piece because it is so beautiful but will be very careful not to get taken in (so to speak). Like I've heard many times, if you like it, then buy it.:D

Ammolite By The Sea seems to be the place to find this stone. I was able to purchase a set of studs in Jamaica last spring at Casa de Oro, but I'm still looking for the matching cuff links. A search online says that the only place in Florida to get it is in Pensacola. I'll be in St Thomas one day next week, hope to find them there. Only 4 more days until I cruise, and they can't wait to welcome me onboard my funship Carnival Triumph!

Thanks to all who had some input about Ammolite jewelry. I have checked out some Canadian web sites for this jewelry. So now atleast I have some idea of prices to go by when in the islands. I still want to buy a piece because it is so beautiful but will be very careful not to get taken in (so to speak). Like I've heard many times, if you like it, then buy it.:D

I agree with you. Because of this thread I have been doing my homework so if I do buy some ammolite then I will know what I am doing.

I won't be in St. Thomas on my next cruise but I will be in St. Marten. I wonder if they also have Ammolite By The Sea. I will look it up right now and try to answer my own question. :rolleyes:

I don't believe they have an Ammolite by the Sea, but St. Marten's has Kay's Jewelers. Kay's (family owned, not related to the Kay's Jewelers in the US), has a great selection of Ammolite. The best store is the one by the pier where the ship docks - it has a larger selection than the branch downtown. We have been buying jewelry there for years - usually use a salesman named Prince. They have a great selection of Mexican fire opals, as well.

I know this won't help you to locate a store but I just returned from an Alaskan cruise. Ammolite was on my list to buy this year. Last year it was tanzanite. The first store I went to, wanted to sell me studs that had no variation of color. He told me it would be the best I could get for the money I wanted to spend. That sent up a red flag warning in my brain. The next store I went to, had just what I wanted. Earrings that had the variation in color. There are three ratings to ammolite....A++, A+, and standard. Mine are standard as that was what I could afford. I am very pleased with my purchase. But I did do my homework before I left. I knew that variation in color was the most important quality. I picked up my purchase in Juneau and had a wonderful clerk. She was very helpful and patient. I think the way you are treated speaks volumes about the store and their merchandise.

I don't believe they have an Ammolite by the Sea, but St. Marten's has Kay's Jewelers. Kay's (family owned, not related to the Kay's Jewelers in the US), has a great selection of Ammolite. The best store is the one by the pier where the ship docks - it has a larger selection than the branch downtown. We have been buying jewelry there for years - usually use a salesman named Prince. They have a great selection of Mexican fire opals, as well.

Thank you for this information. I like getting recommendations for stores where people have shopped and had good experiences, especially for years.

• 1 month later...

john

Since I wrote this I have been to one of the three 'Factories' that exist, and I must say that I was reasonably impressed.

The pieces are very nice, and, as in art, I buy what I like. However while the rare blue and purples, did not impress, but the reds and greens did. It is however best valuewise to buy a piece that has at least two colours in it.

Notice, I don't call them gems, they are not sold by weight, but by grade, most ammolite being no thicker than a persons finger nail! This being said, I can't advise on price, but I had an entire store that sold nothing else, from which to chose. I would advise that you get the manufactures' certificate withany purchase.

Now the 'down side'. It is stated that the mining is interfering with the water supply in the city of Leathbridge, so once the lease on the mine runs out it will not be renewed, and I was told they can only mine for another eight years. This is putting the price up, but the point is, even if the mine is closed, the remaining ammonite, yes that its name in the ground, still exists.

john

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to all the islands and Ammolite by the Sea has more ammolite then all of the other stores combined. That appears to be all they sell. Price seems as good as any place and its guaranteed for life. Last time I was there, they complained that the supply is getting smaller and smaller and the costs keep going up and up. They still did seem to have all price ranges, however.

Worth a look if your interested.

I've been to all the islands and Ammolite by the Sea has more ammolite then all of the other stores combined. That appears to be all they sell. Price seems as good as any place and its guaranteed for life. Last time I was there, they complained that the supply is getting smaller and smaller and the costs keep going up and up. They still did seem to have all price ranges, however.

Worth a look if your interested.

Thanks for the "heads up" about Ammolite by the Sea. Fortunately on our BtoB cruise, St. Thomas is our first port of call and our last port of call. So I think I'll check St. Thomas first and then check out the rest of the ports as well. If I don't see something I like better at the other islands I always have St. Thomas as our last port to purchase my Ammolite. Thanks again.

Linda