Belize on the Spirit

nasvhillecruise

Does anyone know if the Spirit docks or tenders in Belize (forgive me if I have terminology wrong). We're going on our 1st cruise next March, & based on what I've been reading on these boards, Belize is a "tendering" place. I'm going crazy deciding on excursions at this port, & whether we tender or dock may make a difference. THANKS!!!

Does anyone know if the Spirit docks or tenders in Belize (forgive me if I have terminology wrong). We're going on our 1st cruise next March, & based on what I've been reading on these boards, Belize is a "tendering" place. I'm going crazy deciding on excursions at this port, & whether we tender or dock may make a difference. THANKS!!!

Definitely a tender port.

We went there last year & it is a tender port. English is the language. I don't see how being a docking port or a tendering port will make a difference. The only way off the ship is by tender.

Two of our friends move there in February and we will visiting them next April. It's an up and coming tourist spot. The best diving in the world.

Happy Cruising

I don't know what the Spirit's itinerary is, but it's very doubtful that every port would require tendering. Belize is currently a tendering port. From what I've read, it's due to the barrier reef that surrounds the area, preventing the cruise ships from getting through due to their size.

For me, the difference between tendering and docking can make a difference in my excursions. I'm much more likely to book my excursions through the ship if I'm at a tender port -- especially if it's a long excursion too. It may not really make any difference, but psychologically I'm more comfortable knowing that I'm on a ship's excursion when I have to tender.

Please don't flame me here, cuz I've never been on a cruise, & am obviously clueless. But when you say every port is a tender port, does that mean you don't ever just walk off the ship?

You'd be correct. You can just 'walk off' at some ports. Not all of them require a tender. I have no idea what the above poster is talking about.

Think you misunderstood Baitman19. Think he was only refering to Belize.

I would keep in mind that when Tendering you need to realize your time in port is going to be shorter. If you book a private Tour, you have to consider how long it may take you to get off in the morning. As long as you are in line for the Tender before the last tender is scheduled, they will not leave you there.

in 2002 my family sailed the western caribbean on the Sun. in belize we opted to take the Tikal excursion (basically we didn't see belize at all).

this excursion takes you to the belize airport where you hop on a single engine plane to guatemala. from there you take a 45min bus ride to the Tikal national park. here you walk 1.5mi to marvel at the Mayan temples. the entire trip was scheduled for 9hrs. we were 1hr late getting back.

so here we are, the last 12 pax to streak across the water from belize back to the Sun. The benefit of a cruise sponsored excursion.

Congratulations on deciding to cruise. Yes, the first may be the most exciting because it is an unknown experience, but in MHO the BEST. We took the Dawn from NYC to the Western Caribbean back in 2005. Off the top of my head I can't remember if you tender or dock at Belize. What I do remember is the shore excursion we took through NCL to the Old Belize River and the the Myan Ruins. It was one of the best tours I have ever taken. Traveling up the river we saw monkeys swinging from tree to tree, many different color and type of birds and wild life, Iquana in all sizes and color..male and female and we learned how to tell the difference by color. The guide was SO great! Then off the boat 26-30 miles up the river to a building on the river's edge to a Hot chicken, salad and vegetable and beverage lunch ( I had expected a cold possibly boxed lunch) and then onto a bus for the ride to the ruins. Again, the guide very good with information and patient with our group's many questions. We are returning to Belize in Nov. 2007 on the Spirit and we are looking forward to getting there. Remember to to take an insect repellant!

Now with that said, the big thing to remember when leaving a ship for any tour is........the difference between the ship's tour ( may be more $) and a privately arranged one or a tour via a cab at the port.......if you are on a ship's arranged tour they will not leave port with out the entire tour and all their tours returning onto the ship.......no matter how late the tour returns for whatever reason. If you are on a private tour that you have arranged or a cab tour or just walking around the port , if you are not back and it is time for the ship to leave......IT DOES! It is up to you to get yourself to the next port of call to return to the ship or and I have see this occur, take the pilot's boat out to the ship and after the pilot comes down the ladder on the side of the ship, then YOU HAVE AND MUST CLIMB UP THAT SAME LADDER TO GET ON THE SHIP way out away from the port.

Unless you are traveling with people who are seasoned cruisers, you may feel more confortable only doing a ship's shore excursion. Also I believe that for all ship excursions, there is a ship's personel with the tour, if not in your bus then on another bus of the same tour. Lastly, where ever and what ever you decide to do, enjoy it. It is your vacation and your memories that you are making. Hope this helps.

We did the Sun out of New Orleans last Nov. on the same cruise. Costa Maya was docked, as was Santo Thomas and Cozomel. Belize was Tendered. We're doing again on the Spirit in Feb. That may change if Dean comes through and destroys the piers again!

It is a tender as mentioned and it is FUN! Long tender and if you can get the "Amy" boat - she is great and sit on top. We could ride the tender back and forth all day and have fun! :) haha Anyway the Shark Ray Alley tour is awesome and so is the San Pedro town they take you to for lunch. These type tours pick you up from the ship on their own boats so no need to tender... :) By the way if you are in no hurry just wait about an hour and then everyone can tender off without tender tickets - I just wake up as usual and have coffee and breakfast and by then the general tendering is done and I don't have to do the mad rush of tender tickets... :) Debbie

Cozumel is not necessarily a tender port. We walked off the Grand Princess in January, so not a tender. Two docks are operational, just depends how many ships in port that day.

I would definitely not do a long private tour in Belize. As another poster shared, we also did a ship sponsored tour to Lamanai (8 hours with a long bus ride north and then a boat ride) and we were 1/2 late getting back. We had the last tender all to ourselves! Whew -thanks goodness they wait for ship excursions.

Cozumel is not necessarily a tender port. We walked off the Grand Princess in January, so not a tender. Two docks are operational, just depends how many ships in port that day.

I would definitely not do a long private tour in Belize. As another poster shared, we also did a ship sponsored tour to Lamanai (8 hours with a long bus ride north and then a boat ride) and we were 1/2 late getting back. We had the last tender all to ourselves! Whew -thanks goodness they wait for ship excursions.

How would you rate the Lamani tour? I thought it was great, even though it rained while we were in the boats. Check out my Sun photos links in my signature below.

We've also done the Lamanai excursion and I thoroughly enjoyed it -- except for the extreme heat and humidity. Coming from Utah, we're used to heat, but not combined with that kind of humidity. The day we were there (in May) it was about 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity. My young-adult aged kids comlained the entire time about how hot they were. My DH and I enjoyed the trip, however -- after all, you're in the jungle. I wasn't expecting the cool breezes from Alaska!

The boat ride was probably the best part of the trip, as far as the kids were concerned. We did see a couple of alligators, and a termites nest and some monkeys. As far as the ruins, I was fascinated, and so was my DH - but the kids were whining too hard to enjoy it much.

I thought the lunch they served was quite good, and overall, we were glad we'd taken the excursion.

We loved the Lamanai excursion and would do it again. There is so much that is still covered up. I have a hard time imagining what it looked like when it was being lived in, or how they could build those structures- wow. The local tour guides were a lot of fun and we learned alot about the wildlife in the area too.

Yes, the humidity was alot for us too (being from dry Utah) even inJ anuary! Thank goodness for the boat river ride back to the bus- loved the breeze- they were going really fast on the way back since we went over at the actual Lamanai ruins.

Thanks for all the posts & explanations!!! Now you guys have me scared of doing the Nacho & Cynthia zipline/cave tubing tour. So many people on these boards rave about them & their tour is about $40 or so less than the ship excursion, BUT it is a LONG tour & I don't want to be left.

Also, I'm pretty sure my son (5 yrs old), can go on Nacho's tour, whereas he's too young to go on the ship's version of the same tour. So, what do you seasoned professionals suggest?????

Sorry if I'm rambling & asking for so much advice, but the answers/advice/tips provided on this board are awesome! Since the Belize excursion is my prime worry in life right now, I guess life's pretty GOOD!!! :D

Nashvillecruise,

In defense of the private tour operators, and to give you a little hope :), most tour operators that work with cruiseships are very good about keeping within the ships time schedule. Otherwise, they would be out of business quick, from complaints on this board for starters. Email Nathan's and let them know of your concerns and what the ship times are for tendering (you can find that on your itinerary). See what their response is. If they show that you will be getting back to the port for drop off at least 1 hour before the scheduled time on your itinerary, then you are probably safe. considering you have read great reviews about them on these boards means they are reliable.

Hope this gives you some peace of mind.

Nashvillecruise,

In defense of the private tour operators, and to give you a little hope :), most tour operators that work with cruiseships are very good about keeping within the ships time schedule. Otherwise, they would be out of business quick, from complaints on this board for starters. Email Nathan's and let them know of your concerns and what the ship times are for tendering (you can find that on your itinerary). See what their response is. If they show that you will be getting back to the port for drop off at least 1 hour before the scheduled time on your itinerary, then you are probably safe. considering you have read great reviews about them on these boards means they are reliable.

Hope this gives you some peace of mind.

I'll agree with Karen. The private tours know the ship's schedule, and will almost always get you back to the ship in time. A bus or van can break down, leaving you in the lurch, but that rarely happens. Most passengers that miss getting back to the ship on time are off on their own having too much fun, and miscalculate when to start back to the ship.

Have a great cruise. :)

electricon & karen2cruz,

Thanks for easing my fears. What you say makes sense: tour operators who make their customers miss the ship would not stay in business long. I'll think I'll take the chance. & if something happens & we miss the ship, I'll just have a more exciting tale to tell about the cruise. To me, that's an adventure, not a disaster!

electricon & karen2cruz,

I'll think I'll take the chance. & if something happens & we miss the ship, I'll just have a more exciting tale to tell about the cruise. To me, that's an adventure, not a disaster!

I like your attitude. Let the adventure begin!

Hopefully a different, nicer adventure.

Archived