Beach in Ketchikan

12Cruise

Isn't there a beach in Ketchikan? It seems I've read this somewhere. If so, what is the best way to get there and back - via cab? Or is it walkable?

Our stop in Ketchikan is from 6 AM until 1:30 PM so I thought this would be something to do for a short bit of time.

Thanks for your help.

12Cruise

Norwegian Star 06-27-04

There are "beaches" accessable from the road. Several pull offs. Not beaches of sand, rocky that I saw. Can access both north and south of Ketchikan, need a rental car, in my opinion.

Thnx BQ - That's what I was afraid of...too much trouble for me for the length of time we'll be there...we'll stick to our original plan of exploring the town and taking a nice hike.

12Cruise

Norwegian Star 06-27-04

We went snorkeling in Ketchikan. It was an excursion through the cruiseline. We entered the water at a rocky beach about 4 miles from town.

Perhaps you could rent bicycles to ride along the coast.

Thnx geoherb, that's a good idea and one I hadn't thought of. We are booked in Juneau for Capt' Larry's Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier and will only have about 1 hour to check Juneau out, which isn't much time.

So we are really looking forward to exploring (if you will) the towns of Skagway and Ketchikan. We learned from our first cruise that if we do excursions at each port then we do not get to spend anytime in the actualy city itself...and that's why we are going in the first place, to see these places.

We'll put 'possible' bike ride down on our list for Ketchikan.

Thanks again for the suggestion and I hope you have a great day.

12Cruise

Norwegian Star 06-27-04

I have to disagree- In Alaska booking tours in each port is an excellent idea and the touring options are VAST and supurb. The "downtown" areas can be interesting with research and knowing where to go. Plenty of gems that most people never see. A lot of shopping is the first impression unfortunately.

BQ - That is what makes this world such a wonderful place - different strokes for different folks. icon_smile.gif

We personnally do not like to be Excursion Extensive....we like to explore the towns that we are actually in, maybe meet some of the towns people, and to do it on our own time. And shopping is not a high priority for us. That is something that happens as we walk by a store or vendor.

And then, if we are lucky enough to go back, then we may do an excursion from that port and maybe not.

For us it is not relaxing in the least to do an excursion in every port...but that's just us. We may be Type A's in the office but on vacations we are Type Zzzzz's

Thanks and here's hoping you are having a great day!

12Cruise

Norwegian Star 06-27-04

Archived