questions about Playa Azul beach club

39august

To anyone who has visited this beach club in the past few months to a year: Are they still open? Has anything yet been done to/with the hurricane damaged hotel to the north (Cabanas del Caribe)? Has anymore sand been added back to the beachfront? We loved this place before Wilma destroyed it. We were there about 6 months after Wilma. At that time the beach was smaller than pre-Wilma. But everything else was great.

My boss just went about 2 months ago and stayed at that hotel. He had been to Cozumel before and spoke of the damage to the hotel near there and said they still had not done anything with that building. I am getting married there in February 2008 at Mr. Sanchos. I wanted to get married at Playa Azul but could not unless we were staying there and instead we are arriving by cruise ship. But yes, that hotel is still there and is very nice. He went there to go golfing and just booked again for next year in April for a tournament. He suggested a particular room above the tiki bar that overlooks the ocean. I can find out which room if you are interested...

Thanks for the quick reponse. Playa Azul Hotel does have a tiki bar on its beach. But I was referring to the Playa Azul Beach Club which is directly north next to the Playa Azul Hotel. In fact, if you use a credit card to pay for food and drinks, they take it into the hotel and the receipt shows paid to the hotel. I am familiar with the hotel and have seen pictures of it since Wilma and it still looks great. Would you ask him about the beach club itself, please? Several years ago there was a sign between the beach directly in front of the hotel and the beach club stating that the beach in front of the hotel was ONLY for hotel guests. The Playa Azul Beach Club has been a popular spot of locals for years.

• 5 months later...

I had wanted to check out Playa Azul when we were in Cozumel in January '07, but wound up going to Chankanaab (?) instead. We are headed back to Cozumel in July '08 and I'm searching for non-rocky and pretty beach for our children to play at and for my DH and I to lounge. I'd love to know if anyone has been to Playa Azul recently, so they can describe its current status or provide some pictures.

Archived