What NOT to pack

danya83

[quote name='bickee']Can I ask why it matters if I overpack? Am I hurting the environment somehow? Nobody gets hurt if I have 5 suitcases. ;)[/quote]

I feel the same way. They don't give out cookies for those who used every last thing they brought.

[quote name='bickee']Can I ask why it matters if I overpack? Am I hurting the environment somehow? Nobody gets hurt if I have 5 suitcases. ;)[/quote]

You're absolutely right, pack what you want.

My theory is to pack light enough so it's not so much a pain in the rear to haul all the stuff along and to organize and put everything away when we get back home. I like to keep life more simple, it's about the vacation experience, not the clothes you are wearing.

I also firmly believe that if you have to ask what an item is for, you don't really need it. I'm on the side of never having packed a roll of duct tape and never having a need for it. I do have a few clothes pins hanging around in my carry on, I use them after wash out articles in the sink, so I don't have to pack so many articles.

I also don't believe in packing empty bags, unless they can fold down into themselves. I read all the time here on CC about packing an empty bag for souvenirs.

So, I'll breeze right by the people struggling with several heavy suitcases and be done unpacking in 10 minutes or so when I return home. Plus the fact that I haven't gone out and spent the same amount for "cruise clothes" as I have for the cruise.

Keep life simple and enjoy your vacation time. Believe me, you won't have time for many of the "things" you pack into your suitcase.

[quote name='Laura05']Originally Posted by [B]Laura05[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11243547#post11243547"][IMG]http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]I have heard some say they use the tape for the hairdyer button.[/I]

I really have no idea... that is why I said.... (I have heard some say). Just repeating what I read. I personally don't use a hairdryer normally..unless I am in a big hurry. But I am never in a hurry on a cruise. :D[/quote]

The hairdryers on board are the kind that only work when you have your finger on the button. The second your move your trigger finger, it shuts off. So you end up stuck holding the dryer in one position only, which makes it difficult and tiring.

[quote name='douglinc@msn.com']Pack only half the clothes you think you need and twice the money!

Doug[/quote]
AMEN! Although we always pack duct tape, bungee cords, magnetic clips (instead of clothes pins), sticky notes, highlighters, a power strip, nightlights (it is darker than the inside of a cow in the middle of the ocean), and a small electric fan. Also, a laptop, GPS, air card, and chargers for various devices. So if you need it, find me...I probably have whatever you didn't pack.

Oh yes....and I pack snorkel gear and some clothes.....NO panty hose (nor ties for DH), though!!!!! That part we keep pretty simple...

I say bring what you want and what you want to take it in. I have 3 pretty pink pieces of luggage that can piggy back and I can do it myself.
I can unload in less than 10 min. I can also pack it up fast to.
I do bring duct tape it is also pink. I love cruising and I think that your suggestions are great and will be looking forward to them until I cruise again in dec.
Darlene

[quote name='0ldog']Medimusal - Plenty of fruit and prunes on the ship.
.[/quote]

And if you forget to take (swallow) your Medimusal, you can always put your collected sea shells into it & it'll look just like sand from your favorite port with your collected shells...from experience :p

Don't bother with:

night lights - you can turn on the bathroom light and crack the door

powerstrip - short extension cord is more useful - never wanted a powerstrip

pop up laundry hamper - put dirties directly in suitcase, so you're packing as you go (I turn dirties inside out to mark them) and have less work on the last day.

shoe bag - I'm a ziplock girl. They keep things from spilling/bursting in your luggage, and they don't need to be totally unpacked. If you don't need the ziplock, it doesn't get unpacked, and I hate the packing to leave part.

clothes line and pins - There's a line in the shower, and you throw the suits over it. If you have a safety pin, you can close a pesky curtain with that.

Matching shoes for each outfit - stick to basics that are versatile. The most compliments I got on a pair of shoes, and the only time men commented on them on a cruise, was when I traded my heels for Nikes after dinner on formal night. Seas were rough, and I was not going to be one of the walking wounded.

Don't we all love stuff that folds up flat! Yep our 3 section clothes hamper folds to a dinner plate flat size but pops up in a rectangle with 3 sections. One is for dirty clothes....one is for everything you take when you step out of the room (favorite flip/flops end up there); paperback books, etc. and then one for whatever you want! and it fits at the end of the bed.

Since we leave in 20 days for a cruise! love this! my lists have been made though forever!

Lou

[B]The reason I don't want to overpack has to do with the weight of the luggage. On our upcoming cruise DH will be in a travel wheel chair; we'll also have his walker. Add 2 pieces of luggage apiece to check and 1 apiece to carry on the plane, and I'm overloaded. But I'll need all of that for a holiday that will be 2 and 1/2 weeks. So, the less that's in each bag the better, and if I can figure out how to have 3 checked bags and only 1 carryon I will.[/B]

[quote name='bickee']Can I ask why it matters if I overpack? Am I hurting the environment somehow? Nobody gets hurt if I have 5 suitcases. ;)[/QUOTE]

.....if you're relying on your friends to help you haul all your stuff!! I am not a frugal packer by any means. DH & I each take a large suitcase; share a garment bag, and then have one carry-on.

Last year there were five of us going together (another couple and a single friend of ours), meeting at my work, and taking cabs to the port. One couple brought so many pieces of luggage we had to split it between THREE cabs. It was completely ridiculous and we were a little annoyed. Here DH is in the front seat; I'm stuffed in the backseat FULL of their luggage; and our other friend was wedged into her cab with MORE of their luggage. And these people are veteran cruisers, too! Not sure what they would have done if we hadn't been willing to take some of the stuff in our cabs!

So, it doesn't matter at all as long as you're hauling it yourself!!

[quote name='raina*faith'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=magenta]I get in trouble for this sometimes, but I'm not going to pack more books then I can read in a week! I usually do leave them onboard though.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

Oooh - this one gets me EVERY time!!

Have you been to [URL="http://www.bookcrossing.com"]www.bookcrossing.com[/URL] ? I think you might get a kick out of it.

Don't pack:

-One change of clothes for each day. I did this and almost ran out of clean clothes! Then again, I like showering twice a day when it's hot.

-Alcohol, unless you're prepared to possibly get it confiscated.

Otherwise, it's your vacation. Take twice the clothes and all your shoes if it makes you feel better about not forgetting something. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Have a wonderful and FUN cruise!!!

[B][quote name='raina*faith'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=magenta]I get in trouble for this sometimes, but I'm not going to pack more books then I can read in a week! I usually do leave them onboard though.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote][/B]

[B]I do that, too.[/B]

[quote name='bickee']Can I ask why it matters if I overpack? Am I hurting the environment somehow? Nobody gets hurt if I have 5 suitcases. ;)[/QUOTE]
I'm sure no one really cares. They're just giving tip. I, for one, need them. I want to pack as lightly as possible and that's going to be very difficult for me because there are a lot of things I need to bring.

[quote name='hawkfish']The hairdryers on board are the kind that only work when you have your finger on the button. The second your move your trigger finger, it shuts off. So you end up stuck holding the dryer in one position only, which makes it difficult and tiring.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for clarifying. A hairdryer is one of those things I *have* to bring, so that won't be an issue for me.

I think a lot of the tips for packing should be reviewed for your particular needs and style. I took a power strip and a clocks and they came in handy. However I also took duct tape and shoe racks and sticky notes and hilighters and NEVER did a darn thing with them. Just not my style I guess. Oh and even us guys pack too many clothes everytime.

[quote name='ebedore']I think a lot of the tips for packing should be reviewed for your particular needs and style. I took a power strip and a clocks and they came in handy. However I also took duct tape and shoe racks and sticky notes and hilighters and NEVER did a darn thing with them. Just not my style I guess. Oh and even us guys pack too many clothes everytime.[/quote]

I agree about the sticky notes and highlighters. I bought a shoe rack thingie but then bought some luggage that included a smaller version with a coat hanger type handle so take that.

One thing DH and I do pack are a couple of inexpensive (Dollar Store) coffee mugs. You can stuff socks or something else in them so they don't take up much space. We do this because the coffee cups that Room Service brings for breakfast are just too small.

[quote name='rosie40']Ironically, a single clothes pin was the one thing I wished I [B][I]had [/I][/B]last trip :D I book the triple cabin for my girls and Grandma. The head of upper berth is very close to where the curtains close together. It would have been nice if we could have pinned it shut to keep the light from shining on her pillow each morning. The darn thing just would not stay closed![/QUOTE]
My DW takes a hair piece called the claw???? She doesn't use it at night in her hair, but we use it to hold the the Curtain or Drape closed to keep out the morning sun.

[quote name='Crazy Flying Fish']HE-HE :D....a dollar store shoe holder that fits on the bathroom door. It holds all of the " little things that need places". Plus we don't forget to pack at the end of the cruise because if we think we forgot something, it is probably in the door hanging shoe thingy![/quote] We got one of these starting with our 2nd cruise, and now we wouldn't leave home for a cruise without one. We mostly use it for shoes, but we also end up putting other stuff in it. Don't care to be digging in my suitcase everyday. Believe me, most of the cabins on Majesty (for instance) sound like they would especially make you glad to have one of these. It saved a lot of sanity for us there a few weeks ago for sure.

[quote name='Sue L']they have a clothes line over the shower, so you can take that out, and ditto for the clothes pins. In 13 cruises I have never found a need for duct tape though many on the boards swear by it.[/QUOTE]

ON DUCT TAPE- I always carry it and usually use it. Last time a young man who was back packing through Europe noticed his backpack was ripping. We tour open the duct tape and had it fixed in no time.

gg

Archived