Where is Hertz at AAFES BLDG 689 FORT BUCHANAN, SAN JUAN?

Middleager

I was trying to book a car rental. It came up with

AAFES BLDG 689 FORT BUCHANAN, SAN JUAN, , PR

as one of Hertz' car rental location. The price is a lot cheaper than at the SJU Airport location.

I tried to google mp or mapquest this location, but could not find it. I also called them 787-793-2693 directly and asked where they are located. The guy wasn't much help and only said the address of 689 FORT BUCHANAN is correct and that's where they are located and that's where I pick up the car. He said he doesn't know how to tell me where they are located other than confirming that address.

Can anyone help me with this location?

Thanks.

as one of Hertz' car rental location. The price is a lot cheaper than at the SJU Airport location.

I tried to google mp or mapquest this location, but could not find it. I also called them 787-793-2693 directly and asked where they are located. The guy wasn't much help and only said the address of 689 FORT BUCHANAN is correct and that's where they are located and that's where I pick up the car. He said he doesn't know how to tell me where they are located other than confirming that address.

Thanks.

I'll try to get you started and close, but the Hertz website is down and I had trouble cutting and pasting a map image...

Fort Buchanan is a large area directly South West of Old San Juan. It is across the harbor. Maybe this link will help...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=san+juan&state=PR&zipcode=

You'll need to zoom in until you see Fort Buchanan which is a military base (you can't miss it). I'm wondering if that location is actually on the base (looking at the building # in the address you provided) and what your access to it would be. Hmm? You might want to call them again and ask them if they are actually on the military base and where civilians can enter to rent a car from there.

I think the location is just off route 165, but I need to double check to be sure. At a bare minimum, that should give you a general location and feel for approximately where it is.

Not sure why you need directions to get there. If you're flying in, then you just ask the cab driver to take you there from the airport.

If you're coming from a cruise, the drive from Old San Juan to Buchannan can get tricky if you are "navigating" as you drive. The best bet is to follow directions to "Bayamon" or to "The Expresso" Rt.22. When you come to the Plaza Las Americas area, start looking for signs to Ft. Buchannan. If I remember correctly, the entrance to Buchannan is not too far from the beginning of the express way.

Thanks.

The Hertz location is at the base exchange (PX). It's really out of the way for a visitor, and like the others have said, if you're a civilian I don't know what the procedure would be to enter the base. Between the ride over (if it's rush hour the traffic towards Bayamón is awful), getting the car and navigating your way back to your hotel (assuming Condado or Isla Verde), it would be at least a couple of hours :eek: .

The Hertz location is at the base exchange (PX). It's really out of the way for a visitor, and like the others have said, if you're a civilian I don't know what the procedure would be to enter the base. Between the ride over (if it's rush hour the traffic towards Bayamón is awful), getting the car and navigating your way back to your hotel (assuming Condado or Isla Verde), it would be at least a couple of hours :eek: .

Depending on the plan, it might not be that bad. You bring up a good point in that if you are taking a taxi to Buchanan, you might find it costly to get there depending on what time of day you arrive and leave. If you are going from the airport to Buchanan between 3pm and 7 pm, then it is probably a bad idea. Ditto if you are going from Buchanan back to the airport between 6:30 am and 10 am.

I'm not sure if you can rent a car from AAFES (Army Air Force Exhange Service) unless you have a military ID card. If getting on post in San Juan is anything like it is here in the States, you must have a base sticker otherwise you will be subjected to inspection. Even those with base stickers are sometimes subject to inspection.

I guess if you take a taxi over there, then you'll go through the inspection line with them. Keep in mind though, those lines can sometimes back up and be long. If the meter is running on the taxi the whole time, it could cost you plenty and like I said, I'd check first to make sure you can rent from an AAFES vendor without a military ID card. - SF

Thanks for all the help.

It sounds like it's too much of a bother to get there, especially I'm not U.S. military. The difference in weekly rental is almost $100, but that's not worth the extra hours and hassle in navigation.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks.

hi there maybe if you let me know your rental dates i can help you with the locations and fares for hertz there are others locations near..ft buchanan its to far and they will not let you in unless you have an military id.

carmen

hi there maybe if you let me know your rental dates i can help you with the locations and fares for hertz

carmen

I have a mini-van booking with Hertz pickup from SJU airport Aug. 20 at 2pm, returning to Sheraton Old San Juan location 2pm on Aug. 26. The charge is $306 + tax/fees. We are staying at Caribe Hilton (got great rate from priceline), so I can also pick up the mini-van there in the afternoon of Aug. 20 when we arrive.

Priceline and Hotwire are showing $45/d if buy it now. If you can find some better rate, I'm all for it.

I have a mini-van booking with Hertz pickup from SJU airport Aug. 20 at 2pm, returning to Sheraton Old San Juan location 2pm on Aug. 26. The charge is $306 + tax/fees. We are staying at Caribe Hilton (got great rate from priceline), so I can also pick up the mini-van there in the afternoon of Aug. 20 when we arrive.

Priceline and Hotwire are showing $45/d if buy it now. If you can find some better rate, I'm all for it.

usually rates are better out of the hotel/airport areas but all location are only open from mon-fri and the only location open on wkds are buchanan..sorry but if you have a mini van already booked keep it bacause they dont have many mini vans..you are very lucky..

carmen

Archived