Is it me or should speedo's be banned.

Coco Loco

Should speedo's be banned  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should speedo's be banned

• Yes
    • No

There's nothing wrong with "Speedos". Though I wear trunks for recreational swimming, I wear a speedo when I swim laps for excercise. "Speedo" by the way, is a brand name, not a type of suit, but like "Kleenex" (another brand name) it has become synominous. Regardless, it is really only the United States that has the hang up about "Speedos" (I am American). They should not be banned, just because one country can't get over it's hangup that the rest of the world doesn't have.

My two cents.

I have actually never seen anyone that looked appropriate in speedos. After some of those pictures (and I am not talking about the lime green one's:D ), I wouldn't mind those bods in speedos on my "family" cruise. And I am the prude, as I was called earlier.

I guess you just have to be exposed the the right one's. And yes, I am still a prude about some people not looking good in speedos AND I also agree that more women than men are seen in inappropriate swimwear.

The name calling on a fun site, just seems to get out of hand.

Linda

This is one of the best threads I've ever read. We took a 15th anniversary cruise (3 couples all married around same time) with friends last year. All week we played "who can spot the worst Speedo". Although I voted yes (had to pick one) in this, I suppose banning them would rob us of some great fun. I look bad enough in a regular swim suit. Can't imagine a speedo...

...wouldn't the general "appropriate" answer be...

"silver strappy shoes";)

CJW

Because don't they just go with EVERYTHING!

(And OH YES, Jane110, I'm winking here!):D

LOL!!! Yes, the predominant answer is always "silver strappy sandals"!

They'd look great w/ a man in a Speedo!

:D WELL,WELL,WELL!!! Here is,I believe, a cc FIRST!! Y'all have actually changed someone's mind on a subject! And they said it couldn't be done! After looking at some of these pics and reading the opinions, I am starting to warm up to the ole speedo.Never:eek: thought it would happen. I have often remarked to friends about how much I loved the lack of self-consciousness I saw on my cruise & in the Caribbean in general,so I guess I shall practice what I preach & embrace these hunks & enjoy the view!

No. Speedos should not be banned.

Personally I have seen more women in what I would consider inapropriate bathingsuits with less than perfect physiques; than men.

Not everyone, as a matter of fact very few people have perfect bodies that great in swim suits. That being said, a swim suit is for swimming or sun bathing, and as long as everything is covered, there should be no issue on the size or tightness of the suit.

What I take issue with is what some have decided to deem what is appropriate on a "family" cruise. I have news for the prudes out there. There are many different types of families, some feel very comfortable in small swim suits, some families vacation together in naturist locations, some are large, some are small...there is no one "family" cruise. So my suggstion to you would be to simply vacation in cold climates where everyone ( or almost ) wears parkas or snow suits.

Personally I bring both my board trunks and my speedo. I don't feel uncomfortable wearing either.

Dave:eek:

It's not that you need a perfect body to wear a speedo or any given bathing suit, its that I don't want to see the outline of the male anatomy in my face when I look up from my deck chair. If I wanted that I would go to strip joint. Everyone has their own judgement on what is appropriate for themselves and their families,whether it is a bathing suit, where they go to dinner, a school, or who watches their kids when they are out, and who are you to say they are prudes because of it.

Now... back to the fun of this thread....;)

Linda are you still here?

I haven't left totally, but computers are being rehooked today, so I am down for the most part.

Hope you are doing well and will catch up with you in a day or two, once the internet and computers are back up. Not having problems, just moving.

Linda

:D WELL,WELL,WELL!!! Here is,I believe, a cc FIRST!! Y'all have actually changed someone's mind on a subject! And they said it couldn't be done! After looking at some of these pics and reading the opinions, I am starting to warm up to the ole speedo.Never:eek: thought it would happen. I have often remarked to friends about how much I loved the lack of self-consciousness I saw on my cruise & in the Caribbean in general,so I guess I shall practice what I preach & embrace these hunks & enjoy the view!

LOL... I am considering for my next cruise to actually be on the lookout for them and make a game out of it since it will be just dh and I. I hope he doesn't mind my looking. :eek: I am getting a whole different perspective on this myself.:p

I did see a European man take off his speedo right after scuba diving totally nude and change into dry shorts infront of everyone on the dive boat. That was interesting to watch everyone turn around to avoid the scene. I just covered my mouth and laughed - I watched the whole thing. I just love diving!

I did see a European man take off his speedo right after scuba diving totally nude and change into dry shorts infront of everyone on the dive boat. That was interesting to watch everyone turn around to avoid the scene. I just covered my mouth and laughed - I watched the whole thing. I just love diving!

Why turn away haha. He was comfortable so why shouldn't you be? ;)

In France, Speedo wearing is compulsory in some cases. Guess some people won't be swimming in France...

In some countries, speedo-style briefs are often compulsory in public or resort swimming pools, as in the common French language sign "slip de bain obligatoire, shorts interdits" ("swimming briefs required, no shorts allowed"). This is considered a matter of hygiene and public health, as shorts which have been worn as streetwear prior to entering the pool may be dirty and hence pollute the water. In this instance, the management of the public pool/resort is assuming that the briefs have not been worn as general streetwear, as it they would generally not be considered appropriate attire in many public places, such as shopping malls.

Paragraph in context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedo_%28suit_style%29

Linda are you still here?

I'm back and completely hooked up (on the computer that is). I am sitting here in my new office (addition on our property) with no blinds on the windows and being blinded by the Western sunset. Oh, life is rough.

Linda

I have also seen men strip down totally nude and rinse off in the Solarium showers and the procede to put their robes on... I don't mind it- I think its cool to have such a freedom about their bodies. More people should feel free about their bodies. We go to Orient Beach and we don't mind the nudity or what they wear- I have seen alot of sizes of speedos there (some fit, some dont) too bad I have no picts of that.

Hi Linda....I can fix that window treatment problem...Its what I do for a living.

Crockett...Thats funny. I remember one time in St. Maartin on an excursion that specifically said 'may see some nudity'.....WE took a catamaran to a beach and as we were getting off a number of small boats pulled up with people including children that were completely nude. There was a group of "..... Thumpers" on our trip and they were completely outraged. It was almost funny untill it got REALLY annoying with them and their beliefs. I asked the captain about it and he told me to 'go for it' it was allowed and he didn't care one way or the other. So I walked up to the beach in front of them and their children and dropped my drawers ( board shorts...I didn't have a chance to buy a new speedo that year).

They were outraged ( I was VERY amused :D ). And upon complaining to the captain he simply told them 'Its not only allowed, but practiced daily...Didn't you READ the description of the trip?....WHile they didn't tip him in the end, I made up for it simply to make the point " get over it or stay home"....I did it again the last time we were there and this time others joined in. It was a lot of fun and I made many friends.

Coco Logo....We'll agree to disagree. Where in MA are you from? I was born in North Amherst then spent my life in Hadley. My family owns a ( Polish Mafia ) trucking Company that is very visable....Matuszko Trucking which has recently moved to Sunderland. All kidding aside my only distain from your post was the "Family Cruise" comment.

BTW: I have been in situations where I have looked up only to see not only the outlines of a womans anatomy in a light colored swim suit, but was surprised by the fact that she didn't call the gardener before the cruise to have her lawn mowed....I didn't say any thing, I just chalked it up to cultural differences.

I see Europe, or European being referred, as if it a country, it's not, it's a continent, with 45 countries, each with their own culture and language,

If speedo's are in fashion in Spain and France, you won't see them in Germany and Holland (as an example)

Nudity is ok in Western Europa but it's not appropriate in the Slavic countries,

Some countries are more similar to the States as to their neighbours,

[

, I just chalked it up to cultural differences.

And that's exactly what it is, cultural differences. In Italy my family cannot understand why the Americans swim in such long swim suits! Everyone wears a speedo there. Probably because everyone there usually , as in the Caribbean and in other European countries swim in the ocean instead of in pools and speedos are not cumbersom like baggy swimsuits are. Also it is very hot in the summer in these places and they think that Americans wear far to much to the beach.

Coco Logo....We'll agree to disagree. All kidding aside my only distain from your post was the "Family Cruise" comment.

Not quite sure what you mean as you're the one who made the comment on people who have decided what is appropriate for a "family cruise" and how they are prudes. It's their cruise too, and if they belive something is inappropriate for them or their family because they are modest people or whatever, then that is their right, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be cruising or that the not so modest shouldn't be there either, everyone is just expressing their opinions... but like you said, we'll agree to disagree.

Archived