Table for 2

cappi

My husband and I will be celebrating our anniversery on our first cruise! Secondary to our hectic occupations, we have only one opportunity for a vacation per year. We are seriously considering table for two in dinning room. Is this looked down upon? Given little amount of intimate vacation time we have together, we really want to be alone. I know that we'll be missing out of great opportunity meeting new people. How are tables arranged? Are there few tables for two scattered around the main dinning room? We'll be going on the Constellation in 11/04.

We always have a table for two and have never had a problem. Just make sure it is requested when you book (or as soon as possible). Contrary to what you will hear, we also have never had a bad location either. We do it for the same reasons you are, so go for it and enjoy. We have plenty of opportunity during the day and after dinner for socializing with new friends.

Marilyn

Tables for 2 are scattered throughout the dining room, but there are many more tables for 4-10.

Since this is your first cruise, I would highly recommend you consider requesting a large table. Trust me, you and your DH will have PLENTY of time to yourselves on the cruise. In fact, if you're like most couples you might even start getting just a little bit on each other's nerves by the 4th day!;)

For this reason, it's actually nice to know that at least at dinner you'll have a little break from each other! :)

What you should plan to do is to reserve a table for 2 at the specialty restaurant one of the nights. It will be the most romantic dinner you have ever had, and the food can't be beat.:p

Socializing with new friends at dinner is one of the ways that cruising is different (and I think better) than most other types of vacations. There's no pressure to be a social butterfly. Just be yourself and the rest will follow. By the end of the cruise, if you're like most folks, you'll find it hard to say goodbye to your tablemates. :(

Ultimately it's your vacation and your choice. But I remember my first cruise feeling exactly like you do. Now I wouldn't have it any other way: I always request a large table.

Cappi,

My wife and I just got back from Century, and we had a table for 2. Interestingly, we didn't ask for it, but had requested a table for 6.

Usually, this gives us a chance to meet at least 2 new couples and interact over dinner.

We were surprised to see the table for 2, but enjoyed every minute.

There was a 2 next to us and we would have a little conversation every so often, so it all worked.

If we had asked for the table for 2...

We have had a table for two on our last two cruises and requested it again for this cruise. We have found plenty of opportunity to meet fellow cruisers all day long. We were also able to talk to others in the dining room when we wanted to. The tables are not that far apart. We only take one big vacation a year and we really look forward to our time together. it has worked for 27 years .

Hi cappi,

My wife and I always request a table for two, however, after 16 cruises we have learned it's best to check with the Maitre d' as soon as we board the ship. On Celebrity, they usually set up in one of the lounges, and the daily activities sheet will list the time, and location. Not once, have we eaten at the table they originally selected for us. On the Constellation, I would request (once on board) one of the tables for two, upstairs on the railing. There are only four on these tables, but they give you a great view of the entire dining room. If these are not available, ask for the port side, lower level table for two, next to the window. We sat upstairs, on the railing, on the Constellation and Millennium, but on the Summit, we requested the lower window table because of the Alaskan View(always daylight). My wife and I love the intimate time together eating dinner. We can focus on the food, and each other. We aren't antisocial, we will meet plenty of people through out the cruise. Make sure you make a reservation at the alternative restuarant(Ocean Liners) for at least one night--great dining experience!

Enjoy! Kel

I love my husband very much, we will be married 38 years tomorrow. But.....I do enjoy the company of others during dinner and that has never intervered with our ability to have a private conversation as well. My husband is a great joke teller, I have heard those jokes more times than I want to think about. We do like our private breakfast together. but we are both very social and some of the highlights of our trips have been the wonderful people we have met on board. When our luck has run out as far as table mates are concerned we still manage to have a good time, we do have each other. But when the chemistry is running strong at your large table, magic happens. :)

About 7 years ago my husband and I were on the Regal Princess for a seven day cruise to the Eastern Carribbean. I don't remember if I requested a table for two or what, but Princess set us at a table for four. Some evenings we were by ourselves and some evenings they had officers on the ship dine with us. Princess did an excellent job catering to us. We had the ship's navigator and the ship's doctor one night and an entertainer on the ship for another night. The other evenings we were alone. I loved it!!!! This was my favorite cruise.

Some very good info and options here. The table for two on a longer cruise is or can be a little lonely regardless of how long or short your relationship is.

I have dinner at a table for two with my husband 365 days a year...it's never lonely, in fact it's often the highlight of my day...I think you're doing it wrong!

We have always requested, and always received, a table for two. Like others have posted, our daily life and our work schedules simply don't allow for us to dine quietly together, so we really enjoy the luxury of each other's company while dining on our trips. We have never felt looked down upon in any way. In fact, I think that we have received a bit more personal attention that we might have received if we would have been seated with six or eight others. We have been on several cruises that were more than two weeks long, and we never got tired of each other's company nor have we ever wished that we would have chosen a table with more companions. There are many, many oportunities to meet and mingle during the rest of the cruise, so we prefer to keep our dining time as our private, together time. Whatever choice you make, I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful cruise and a happy anniversary!

Just your personal preference. We don't eat in the dining room every night. We do room service, the specialty restaurants and even the casual dinner option every once in a while.

We prefer the table for two because we enjoy being on our schedule, not feeilng like we have to be there each night or be social if we're not in the mood. We just enjoy our time together.

Don't worry about what anyone else does, just do what's best for you and most of all enjoy your vacation! :)

Personally I think sharing dinner at a table of 8 is one of the best parts of a cruise. By the second or third night you feel like old friends and share the fun of each day's experiences. You can always order room service and have dinner on your deck, if you have one, or snuggly in your room if you don't!!

We're honeymooning on Summit and want a table for two as well. I wish there was a way to indicate that in your reservation! My TA said they requested it and they figure since we're honeymooners we'll get one, and I really hope so.

Sorry, we like to be social... but I don't particularly enjoy eating with strangers, even if they may become friends. I'd rather chat with someone at the martini bar or by the pool. I want to talk to my fiance over dinner. It's kind of the appeal of a date; who brings extra people along for a date?

How can you get bored with your husband? I eat dinner with him almost every night and it's one of the highlights of my day. We've lived together for 3 years and haven't gotten bored yet, at least!

Don't really want to order room service, either- that takes away some of the romance. And paying for the specialty restaurant every night would get pricey!

On our last cruise we got a table for two for the first time after 4 cruises at larger tables. I loved it!

I agree that when everyone is friendly and gets along, it can be great fun to share a larger table. However, a few times we have been matched with people of different ages, lifestyles, etc. that weren't terribly compatible with ours. While everyone was quite nice, sometimes the conversation would lull, and it would be rude to just turn to my spouse and start our own private conversation.

I am one of those people who feels responsible for maintaining a fun, lively conversation at the dinner table, and if everyone doesn't pull their weight, it can be very hard work!

It was wonderful to just relax with my husband without trying to draw others out or encourage them to participate in the conversation.

How can you get bored with your husband? I eat dinner with him almost every night and it's one of the highlights of my day. We've lived together for 3 years and haven't gotten bored yet, at least!

At home, I see my SO for just a few hours a day, after work and before bed. There's no time to get bored!:D

On a cruise, we are with each other 24 hours a day. We spend most of the day together, by ourselves. And sometimes we even get on each other's nerves:eek:!

So, at night, for a couple of hours, it's a nice change to have dinner with other passengers.

We eat dinner alone together every night at home, and it's fun to do something different on vacation.

To each his or her own. . .but I still think that everyone should try eating at a large table at least once!:)

Personally I think sharing dinner at a table of 8 is one of the best parts of a cruise. By the second or third night you feel like old friends and share the fun of each day's experiences. You can always order room service and have dinner on your deck, if you have one, or snuggly in your room if you don't!!

I also feel that sharing dinner with our new found friends is one of the most enjoyable parts of a cruise. My husband and I are very lucky because we have always been able to find a common bond with our tablemates.

Archived