FYI-Just what NYC needs-a taxi strike-September 5

greatam

I just took a look at the Village Voice classifieds. Quite a few rent stabilized apts for about $1000.00 per month. Mostly 2 br, 2 bath in SoHo, Chelsea, West Village (my favorite neighborhoods). Non rent stabilized is about $2000 for the same type apt. Lots and lots of 6 month/1 year sublets available in the $1500 price range.

Now THIS is a bargain: $2300, Ocean front, 2 bd., 2 bath WITH PARKING. No, it is not in Manhattan, but Rockaway is a VERY up and coming neighborhood. And in NYC, with the great mass transit system, this would be very doable. http://newyork.backpage.com/rentals/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=oid%3A2510097&name=apartments%20for%20rent

The last time the taxis pulled a one-day strike, it was actually quite pleasant in Manhattan without all the taxi congestion.

I was thinking the same thing. You could cross the street without taking your life into jeopardy. Also it was eerily quiet without the cab drivers blowing their horns every nano-second.

I just took a look at the Village Voice classifieds. Quite a few rent stabilized apts for about $1000.00 per month. Mostly 2 br, 2 bath in SoHo, Chelsea, West Village (my favorite neighborhoods). Non rent stabilized is about $2000 for the same type apt. Lots and lots of 6 month/1 year sublets available in the $1500 price range.

Those are bait and switch ads or the apartments don't actually exist. You could call about them but the broker would tell you the apartment is already gone. Apartments in Soho, Chelsea and the West Village would never go for those prices, especially two bedrooms and two baths.

There are a lot of people who need roommates to afford Manhattan. It's usually two or three people to a one bedroom and not a big one.

The Rockaways are not very close to Manhattan.

To Zone - sorry about yelling. The prices really are outrageous. What's advertised is just not real. I'm lucky I own my apartment but I bought it years ago. I couldn't afford to buy it now. I have many friends who have had to move out of Manhattan because their rents skyrocketed. It's very hard to find a rent stabilized apartment now.

Back to the original idea of this thread - yes without taxis it would be much easier to cross streets and it would be much quieter. On the other had, without all those additional taxi cars on the roads, speeding would be much more of a problem. I still don't think the strike will actually happen.

I could easily live off $52,000 a year in Manhattan. I wouldn't have to worry about car payments, insurance, upkeep and taxes which cost me about $1000 a month which I would spend on rent.

Good luck finding a place to rent for 1,000, unless of course you want to rent a studio to split with a few friends. :-) Don't forget the high sales tax, and higher state and local income taxes. It evens out. :)

Lawsy namegame, please find a new accountant! Or a tax shelter:D

I have to agree, I work in NY and about 25-30% of my check is gone before I even get it. The income tax rate is higher. I am a former accountant, so I don't need a new one. :)

I have to agree, I work in NY and about 25-30% of my check is gone before I even get it. The income tax rate is higher. I am a former accountant, so I don't need a new one. :)

So now let's figure 30% goes out for taxes. I have to pay towards my health insurance, long term disability, etc... I also have money taken out for my TDA. On $52,000 a year, that wouldn't leave me much leftover. Housing in New York City really is quite expensive. $1,000 doesn't exist even for a studio. Most people who move here have terrible sticker shock. Let's not even discuss how expensive it is to buy food here. The supermarkets are way more expensive than elsewhere.

Manhattan has very few real supermarkets. Most of the country would be shocked at the size at what they call supermarkets. Gristides(spelling) which is in Manhattan rapes the public.

examples...they call chicken breasts on sale at 4.99 a lb(and they are Purdue)...Pathmark will have the same sale at 1.99 a lb.

Pathmark is cheaper than Stop N Shop in New England.

you can see the sale prices for yourself at www.pathmark.com use zip code 10003.

In Manhattan many people now use fresh direct.

But NY is expensive to live.

Single family house taxes are low but you wouldn't want my car insurance bill...yes I own a car.

Good luck finding a place to rent for 1,000, unless of course you want to rent a studio to split with a few friends. :-) Don't forget the high sales tax, and higher state and local income taxes. It evens out. :)

Please read my prior post.

A lousy studio in Manhattan will set you back $1300/month these days. Most large leasing agents (which control the vast amount of rental inventory in Manhattan) will not rent to you unless you can verify that you have annual income exceeding 50x the monthly rent.

In decent areas of Brooklyn and Queens, you can still get a 1BR for $1000/month though.

I could easily live off $52,000 a year in Manhattan. I wouldn't have to worry about car payments, insurance, upkeep and taxes which cost me about $1000 a month which I would spend on rent.

A lousy studio in Manhattan will set you back $1300/month these days. Most large leasing agents (which control the vast amount of rental inventory in Manhattan) will not rent to you unless you can verify that you have annual income exceeding 50x the monthly rent.

In decent areas of Brooklyn and Queens, you can still get a 1BR for $1000/month though.

where? I bedrooms go for $1500- 2000 in the outer boros or more.....I rent a studio for to a tenant for $1700 per month...in Brooklyn and that is on the low end.

uhhh...10003...too scary. that's the zip code to the office. where the heck is the pathmark around union square? all i have is food emporium and trader joe's.

Pathmark is down by the seaport, a little north of the seaport actually. It's too far for you to walk to on your lunch hour. :rolleyes:

Pathmark is down by the seaport, a little north of the seaport actually. It's too far for you to walk to on your lunch hour. :rolleyes:

I used 10003 as I know its NY City so people can see the NY prices as opposed to NJ or CT and the flyers are different not for a store location....there is a Pathmark store locater on the website.

I lived in Manhattan when I was making much less than $52k a year.

Then I got my own place in Hoboken.

Rents are still decent in Jersey City and it's an easy PATH ride into the city. It can be done and still live a decent life.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=73234

take the subway or a bus. Call a car service. In Manhattan you can easily get around by subway and the subway can easily absorb(except during rush hour) any increase caused by a strike. Car services will be running although they may be harder to get through to. There are about 12000 cabs. So even if they were full at any given time that is only another 15,000 people for the subway other transportation to absorb. Considering 2 million ride the subway everyday, this is a mere pittance.

I was seriously convinced that this strike would not happen. Most of my co-workers think it will happen. What do the rest of you think?

I believe there will be a strike that won't be too effective. I expect about 1/2 the cabs will be gone for a couple of days and there will be some violence towards those still driving....BTW the correct number of cabs is about 13500....

I believe there will be a strike that won't be too effective. I expect about 1/2 the cabs will be gone for a couple of days and there will be some violence towards those still driving....BTW the correct number of cabs is about 13500....

I'm also starting to think this might actually happen. I wonder what the gypsy cabs will do? This strike doesn't affect me as I have a two working feet and a metrocard, but it might hurt people coming into New York.

I'm also starting to think this might actually happen. I wonder what the gypsy cabs will do? This strike doesn't affect me as I have a two working feet and a metrocard, but it might hurt people coming into New York.

Gypsy cabs don't exist like they did lets say 20 years ago. All black cars or local car services work out of a base station and send the cars to the person who call them. Gypsy cabs actually meant those non licensed cars that cruise around the neighborhoods(usually where yellow cabs refused to go) and picked people up from a street hail(which is illegal for a non-yellow cab to do in NYC)....they have almost ceased to exist although sometimes the car services do pick people up who hail them on the street. I am sure if there is a strike the City(and the TLC) will allow the car services to pick up street hails. people call the car service and they are not gypsy's...

I guess they are on strike. I am currently working in Alaska, but one of my NYC drivers called in late to the Bronx office because he had to get kids, wife and Mom to work and school. I doubt they take taxis every day, but a good "excuse" to miss a few hours work.

From the looks of this picture, it is hard to decipher whether this is a gang banger or a taxi driver. No wonder they get such a bad rap!!!

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/runninscared/archives/2007/09/city_prepares_f.php

Archived