FYI-Just what NYC needs-a taxi strike-September 5

greatam

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_235170645.html

I LOVE the part about "illegal aliens" driving cabs. How in the h*** did they get driver's licenses? To the best of my knowledge, NY State is NOT one of the states that issues licenses to illegals.

"Many drivers fear the IRS will use the data to audit drivers and alert the INS about illegal immigrants driving cabs."

yes and they were given two increases partially dependent on putting in the technology that is required...(its expected their tips will rise as the technology and credit cards make it easier)...

1. Not all the cab drivers are supporting this but you can expect that many drivers will be afraid to drive that day.

2. The other cab union came out against it.

3. Mayor Mike won't change this one...

Take the subway! School is still not in session and it will be fine. They will allow car services to pick up street hails.

PS the Bermudian cab drivers did strike....same reason

This is not the first time NYC taxis have threatened to strike. I don't think it's going to happen. If it does happen, for the people who refuse to take public transportation (which is probably the best in the nation), then there will be many livery drivers and private car companies picking up passengers. The streets will be much less crowded, congested, and noisy.

I LOVE the part about "illegal aliens" driving cabs. How in the h*** did they get driver's licenses? To the best of my knowledge, NY State is NOT one of the states that issues licenses to illegals.

"Many drivers fear the IRS will use the data to audit drivers and alert the INS about illegal immigrants driving cabs."

They are able to get licenses because they have fake "legal docs". I used to live in NJ and new a man that got pulled over my MP's at Picatinny Arsenal where he worked part time. He acidentally pulled out the wrong set of ID's! He had 2 sets of DL and SS and neither one used his real name. This was 20 yrs ago and I am sure they are much more sophisticated today!

They are able to get licenses because they have fake "legal docs". I used to live in NJ and new a man that got pulled over my MP's at Picatinny Arsenal where he worked part time. He acidentally pulled out the wrong set of ID's! He had 2 sets of DL and SS and neither one used his real name. This was 20 yrs ago and I am sure they are much more sophisticated today!

I am well aware of this-I probably have one or two people come into my office monthly with fake docs. However, even if they had a CDL (commercial driver's license), I must fill out the I-9, check with DHS to make SURE they can work around the ports. IF they need hazardous materials certification, that is an additional check with fingerprints, etc. Most are usually VERY surprised when I actually take the time to check.

To get a taxi license in quite a few jurisdictions requires fingerprinting, background check, etc. Evidently NYC (being a "Sanctuary City") does NOT check for legal workers. A shame!!! And I don't want to hear that these are jobs "Americans" won't due-low wage, crappy work environment, etc., etc.

MOST taxi drivers make a pretty good living. A friend in Los Angeles owns 10 taxis leased to a company. She states her drivers average over $750.00 per week. Not a low wage job!!!

MOST taxi drivers make a pretty good living. A friend in Los Angeles owns 10 taxis leased to a company. She states her drivers average over $750.00 per week. Not a low wage job!!!

Sorry, but if that was NYC rates, it is a LOW wage job. $1000/week is only $52,000/year, no way to live on that in NYC or most of the surrounding areas in my opinion. I make way more than that, upstate, where costs are way less than half and I'm definately not affluent.

Sorry, but if that was NYC rates, it is a LOW wage job. $1000/week is only $52,000/year, no way to live on that in NYC or most of the surrounding areas in my opinion. I make way more than that, upstate, where costs are way less than half and I'm definately not affluent.

The 2005 median income for the United States was $46,326 for one income households. The middle 1/3 income range for americans was $30,000 - $62,500. So, $750 a week is $39,000, or middle income for the United States. Maybe NYC is an over priced place to live, but not all the cab drivers live there.

I have 7 local (NYC office) drivers that make between 50-$60,000 per year. NO, they certainly aren't affluent, but they certainly would not be classed as "low wage workers". Two are young and live with Mom and Dad, three live in rent controlled apts and two own their own homes. And only three have cars.

Los Angeles housing is EVERY bit as expensive as NYC housing (except Manhattan). AND EVERYONE is Los Angeles needs a car-public transit sucks. You can still buy a single family home in Brooklyn for less than $500,000 which is the average price for a single family in "normal" family neighborhoods in LA. Sure, you may get a slightly bigger house and yard in LA, but the price (and mortgage payment) are still the same.

And cab drivers in NY make CONSIDERABLY more than those in LA. Cabs in LA are generally only taken by tourists, poorer people, or those whose cars are broken down. Los Angeles is also not notorious for tips to cabbies. I think NOTHING of handing a NYC cab driver $40.00 for a 30.00 cab ride. In LA (if I took a cab-unlikely), I would ask for $5.00 back. Don't ask me why-it's just a different mindset in NYC/cabs.

You have to look at the way many cab drivers in NYC operate, leasing their cabs for a 12-hour shift from the medallion holder/owner of the cab. Until they make enough each day to make that daily payment, they haven't made a penny. They also have to buy their own gas, which is why they are reluctant to run the A/C in the summer. Drivers who rent are classed as independent contractors, not employees; they get no medical insurance, no social security payments are made except what they themselves pay into the system at twice the rate they would pay if they were employees, and they're not covered by unemployment insurance. But in comparison to the Chinese delivery guys in NYC, who are truly at the bottom of the pecking order, it's probably not bad. You'd have to consult them.

You have to look at the way many cab drivers in NYC operate, leasing their cabs for a 12-hour shift from the medallion holder/owner of the cab. Until they make enough each day to make that daily payment, they haven't made a penny. They also have to buy their own gas, which is why they are reluctant to run the A/C in the summer. Drivers who rent are classed as independent contractors, not employees; they get no medical insurance, no social security payments are made except what they themselves pay into the system at twice the rate they would pay if they were employees, and they're not covered by unemployment insurance. But in comparison to the Chinese delivery guys in NYC, who are truly at the bottom of the pecking order, it's probably not bad. You'd have to consult them.

A good percentage of cabs drivers in large cities in the USA lease their cabs and pay for their own gas. The next step up the ladder is to buy a cab and lease it to the company. Then you buy several cabs and lease them to other independent contractors. The American dream. But you must be smart and ambitious. EXACTLY the way I started in transportation and the way my friend started in Los Angeles. Wasn't easy, but nothing worthwhile is.

Independent contractors, no matter what industry, pay their own taxes and social security. Being an independent contractor signifies that you are self employed, hence you pay both the employee's portion of social security AND the employers. It is NOT twice the rate, it is EXACTLY what is paid for EVERY worker in the US.

Why would you need unemployment insurance? If you are an independent contractor, you can't FIRE or LAY OFF yourself (the purpose of unemployment insurance). If the company cuts your contract, you probably really screwed up and shouldn't be in that industry. And quite a few companies in all industries that use independent contractors make available health insurance under the company's group policy. Yes, the contractor pays for it out of his pocket.

I have quite a few independent contractors either leased with their own equipment to my company or they lease equipment from me. They are free to choose the loads they want, rather than our dispatchers designating a load to haul. They are also free to buy fuel where they want, get repairs where they want, and take time off when they want.

Works the same way in the taxi industry-verified by my friend who owns the taxis in Los Angeles. And the $750.00 per week is AFTER her drivers pay for lease payments, gas and other misc fees. There are also LARGE tax deductions available for independent contractors. As a general rule, independent contractors in the same industry pay less in taxes than employees as a percentage of gross income, even paying both portions of Social Security.

My independent contractors leasing equipment from me who drive coast to coast make more money than my employee drivers running the same routes. However, they have total responsibility for the equipment, loads and every aspect of their business. IF they have a major breakdown in the middle of nowhere, not only do they have to figure out where to get $6000-7000 for the repair, but they have to find another truck to deliver the load. It is definitely NOT for everyone-I have seen more fail than succeed in 30 years in business.

The last time the taxis pulled a one-day strike, it was actually quite pleasant in Manhattan without all the taxi congestion.

personally, from a non-factual...non-researched based opinion. working in NYC will bring you money. it's all out there. just have to want to work.

just like Frankie said...

if i can make it there...i'll make it anywhere. those cabbies are a lot more richer than people think. maybe not millionaires. but just think. they drive people around and get paid. that's it! not a bad deal considering, huh?

I could easily live off $52,000 a year in Manhattan. I wouldn't have to worry about car payments, insurance, upkeep and taxes which cost me about $1000 a month which I would spend on rent.

I could easily live off $52,000 a year in Manhattan. I wouldn't have to worry about car payments, insurance, upkeep and taxes which cost me about $1000 a month which I would spend on rent.

I AGREE! that is the total reason why people in manhattan live there. sure you don't have a home to show off like on HGTV. but think of the things you don't have to do.

- mow the lawn

- paint

- fix plumbing (or call for a plumber)

- you have a doorman who will do more for you than just open doors

it's just a different lifestyle in NYC...compared to any city really. and $52k is definitely enough.

BlueHerons, I hate to break it to you but $1,000 for rent in Manhattan just doesn't exist. You'd be lucky to find something for $2,000 a month. That would be for a studio, not even a one bedroom.

it's just a different lifestyle in NYC...compared to any city really. and $52k is definitely enough.

No it's not! At the basic minimum you'd be paying $24,000 a year for rent. You have utilities, cable, phone, etc... Add another $3,000-$4,000. Now that's $28,000 out of pocket. How much do you think one takes home out of $52,000 per year? Remember that we also have city taxes here. Maybe you take home $35,000 if lucky (I'm not an accountant). That leaves you $7,000 to eat, socialize, commute to work (yes you have to pay for subways), etc. It is just not doable to live in Manhattan on $52,000 a year, unless you happen to already live in Manhattan and have a rent stabilized apartment.

BlueHerons, I hate to break it to you but $1,000 for rent in Manhattan just doesn't exist. You'd be lucky to find something for $2,000 a month. That would be for a studio, not even a one bedroom.

I know that which is why I would be puting it towards my rent.

I lived in Manhattan part time for a couple of years and my company rented me a hotel apartment on West 57th. I'd be happy paying $3000 a month rent.

Doubtful I'd be living by myself so half of my rent would be subsidized.

I know that which is why I would be puting it towards my rent.

I lived in Manhattan part time for a couple of years and my company rented me a hotel apartment on West 57th. I'd be happy paying $3000 a month rent.

Doubtful I'd be living by myself so half of my rent would be subsidized.

It would still be really hard on $52,000 a year. Unless of course the other person you live with makes $150,000 a year.

How much do you think one takes home out of $52,000 per year? Remember that we also have city taxes here. Maybe you take home $35,000 if lucky (I'm not an accountant)..

Lawsy namegame, please find a new accountant! Or a tax shelter:D

Lawsy namegame, please find a new accountant! Or a tax shelter:D

Seriously, if Uncle Sam takes out 25% (in New York I think he takes out more like 30%), and say you want to put a little bit into a tax deferred annuity, it doesn't leave you with much.

Seriously, if Uncle Sam takes out 25% (in New York I think he takes out more like 30%), and say you want to put a little bit into a tax deferred annuity, it doesn't leave you with much.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the city income tax was between 3% and 3 1/2%? Not trying to split hairs at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the city income tax was between 3% and 3 1/2%? Not trying to split hairs at all.

I tried to copy a table into here and it didn't work. Between $25,00 and $60,000 would be an additional 3.9% city income tax.

No it's not!

roommates, my dear. rommates. it's tough to live alone. but it is do-able. i mean you won't be living large. but you'll be living.

and why are you shouting? that's not good for my eardrums you know! and i know you know! hehehehehehe...yer so cute! but seriously...i think we hit a nerve with namegame. sorry sweetie. (((HUG)))

but it's still possible...hehehehe.

I don't live in Manhattan but a lot of my friends do and they make no where near $52,000 even with overtime and they're doing fine. They live in nice apartments in nice areas and they're still able to take vacations and go out. If you have a roommate and your expenses are low it can be done.

Archived