Millennium Pulverised Rocks

Cruise Junky

Yes, I know, old news, but thought you'd appreciate the local read on it. I'm posting from the south of france and in yesterdays newspaper was the following article.

" Rocks exploded when a cruise-liner scraped the sea bed in Villefranche bay after a computer clitch. Divers found an entire propeller blade from the 300 meter millennium cruise ship on the sea bed at a depth of 6 meters. The ship has a draft of 8 Meters. Diver Patrick Semerdjian, an expert on the area, said "block of rock weighing several tons have been exploded over a wide area by the impact. All the plant live on or near the rocks was completely wiped out. They are now just bare stone pieces lying around on the ocean floor. The rocks were broken and there were traces of red paint from the propeller which is proof of the violence of the impact. These rocks were absolutely pulverized. At the time of the impact, Celebrity Cruises, which owns the Millennium, made little of the collision. The company said the impact was "not serious" and had been caused by faulty software in the engine room. New computer equipment has been installed and the other cruise liners built on the same model have also been changed."

That 90,000 is GRT (Gross Registered Tonnage), which is not a measurement of the weight of the ship. That would be Deadweight Tonnage, which is an entirely different number, as is Displacement Tonnage.

That 90,000 is GRT (Gross Registered Tonnage), which is not a measurement of the weight of the ship. That would be Deadweight Tonnage, which is an entirely different number, as is Displacement Tonnage.

Thanks Micheal ... I see I compared volume & weight.:)

Archived