Family Reunion Cruise

Luvsdaislands

I love the idea of a family cruise, but I don't know where to start. What sort of things should we have decided before I contact a TA? I tried last year to convince my family to go on a cruise - I ended up going solo. I'm glad that I didn't waste a TA's time with that fiasco (except for me - I had a great time!) Should we pick the cruise beforehand, or just have an approximate idea of the date and location? Any ideas would be helpful...

:)

joanne

This is how I started:

I first thought about my family and their ability to pay for a cruise, the age ranges, activity levels, interests, etc. and then I looked at a few cruises and prices. I narrowed it down to RCCL and CARNIVAL, and finally went with CARNIVAL because it is cheapest and has lots of activities that I believe fits my family's lifestyle.

Most of family is in the NorthEast...DC/MD/VA/NC/NY/NJ etc. so I looked for a cruise leaving out of a nearby port. I personally did not like any of those cruises because they were either too long or did not cruise to a desired port. So I settled on leaving from good ole FLORIDA.

So I sent for a CARNIVAL brochure, contacted my travel agent and gave her a heads up. (I was going to use a family member that is an agent but thought about FAMILY AND MONEY and decided it's best a stranger handle the money, LOL) I am currently still trying to decide with port in Florida to leave from...leaning towards MIAMI.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just in the early part of planning a group cruise. The minimum will be 10 people, my immediate family. The maximum could be pushing 80 to 100. I'm guessing that 20 to 30 will actually come.

I sent out Emails giving people the basics on times, general prices and different types o ships.. I got their feedback. Interestingly accountants can't go in July nor Oct. Then I used that information and narrowed down the choices to a few. More feedback. Educators will pull out of school in the fall rather than pay summer prices. Then I picked the ship and date.

I couldn't please everyone. I pleased myself and enough others such that we are going to have a great time. Just with our 4 children we could not come up with a single time we can all 6 guarrantee we can come and afford.I got 5 out of 6 and the 6th might be able to do it but won't know till next March. So getting 50 to 100 all work out would be a miracle. The others will be missed. This may encourage them to band togeher and form a group for another cruise at a time and place that works for them. Don't burn your bridges.

I've requested quotes from a few different Cruise Travel Agents and am waiting to hear what they have to offer in price and support for the group development. Once we have that we will choose one Agent and start the booking and final recruiting process.

I didn't think about asking for meet and greet areas. I really like the idea of a end of group meeting to share stories. I think the family story and history time is agreat idea. I didn't think to ask for a group rate at a hotel before the trip. I didn't know the cruise ships have people on board to help organize activities for the groups.

I really like hearing what others are doing or have done.

I look forward to hearing more.

I've got 13 months of planning and coordinating to go.---Thanks all!!

For those of you planning a family or group cruise, here are a few tips-

1. for every 16 full paying adults, you get one free berth. You pay only for the taxes and port fees for that person. Depending on the sailing and the amount of amenity points you get, you can lower that to 1 for 14, 1 for 12, and even 1 for 10 if there are enought points. You can also use the points for OBC, free pics, bottles of wine, etc.

2. For groups that large, go with a TA who handles groups. Collecting payments, handling special requests, etc are better handled by someone who knows the ins and outs of the cruise line.

3. For the larger groups, request the TA accompany your group to meet and greet, and make sure everything goes smoothly. They can work with the staff on the ship to accomodate parties, functions, special activities, and help with port activities as well. They can get reduced prices for tours as well.

4. Princess offers an all inclusive program for groups as well. With enough passengers, they can make it include liquor from a wine package with dinner every night to all day drinks. If you want to do this, then everyone in the group has to purchase it, not some.

Yes, I am a TA who handles groups and destination weddings, but also love talking travel so if you have any questions, please ask :D

seawyllow--I am planning a group cruise w/family on the RC Jewel 10 night Panama canal cruise. We have 8 cabins booked, and may have 1 more. I have a great on line TA. She does many group cruises. She has told me that if we have 16 passengers going (8 cabins booked), we will get 1 free berth. She will also give us some extra on board credit (from her commission I guess, she always gives me extra OBC.). What I plan to do with the free berth is divide it up evenly for each cabin. I plan to make it an even number, and the little extra, I will take as payment for all my work put into this planning. All 8 cabins are now booked, and we may have 1 or 2 more book.

My only question now is, should I expect to get anything else from my TA or from the ship? Maybe a small private party to be held? I would rather just have this perk in OBC for everyone, but if the cruiseline throws something in, we will gladly take it! TIA!

seawyllow--I am planning a group cruise w/family on the RC Jewel 10 night Panama canal cruise. We have 8 cabins booked, and may have 1 more. I have a great on line TA. She does many group cruises. She has told me that if we have 16 passengers going (8 cabins booked), we will get 1 free berth. She will also give us some extra on board credit (from her commission I guess, she always gives me extra OBC.). What I plan to do with the free berth is divide it up evenly for each cabin. I plan to make it an even number, and the little extra, I will take as payment for all my work put into this planning. All 8 cabins are now booked, and we may have 1 or 2 more book.

My only question now is, should I expect to get anything else from my TA or from the ship? Maybe a small private party to be held? I would rather just have this perk in OBC for everyone, but if the cruiseline throws something in, we will gladly take it! TIA!

The perks you get would have been booked by the TA when she took the group space out for you, such as the free berth which is standard. The on board credit would also be from the cruise line for the group space as a perk, which is great. Ask your TA if there are enough points left over for a dry snack no host cocktail party for your group in one of the venues, or may a free photo for every cabin in your group.

Ask! The worst they can say is no, but I think you should be able to get the cocktail hour.

Whay have others done regarding Dinner that worked well? Our Group will range from young to old so I was going to suggest that each cruiser make a choice of A) Early Dinner, B) Late Dinner, C) Open Seating. The dinner groups would arrange a group table or tables at their chosen dinner time. The Open Seating diners would have to choose a time to meet together to be seated together. Open Seating provides flexibility but it would seem that somebody would have to be responsible for the coordination if they want to share each others company. How has it worked for others?

Hello everyone,

I am planning a Family Reunion Cruise for my family of about 200 people.

Has anyone planned one before??

Has anyone be on one before??

What was your experience??

What kind of together family functions did you attend/plan? i.e., talent show, meeting, etc.

All help is welcome!

Luvs

I'm in the process of planning my Family Reunion for next year so far we have 28 people booked. Since my people are from the Northeast we went with a Carnival ship leaving from NY. If anyone wants to book a room I give them the group booking number and tell them to "CALL CARNIVAL" Carnival collects all payments etc. the only thing I have to do is send out reminders for dead lines and what ever cruise tips I come across. Carnival has a special site called "Cruise Connections" you can send emails from the site and start your own message board.

Since I don't feel like I'm doing anything time consuming, I decided to share the credit for the free berth with the family.

Hello everyone,

I am planning a Family Reunion Cruise for my family of about 200 people.

Has anyone planned one before??

Has anyone be on one before??

What was your experience??

What kind of together family functions did you attend/plan? i.e., talent show, meeting, etc.

All help is welcome!

Luvs

Christine: Thanks so much! I don't want to ask for too much, but would like anything we are entitled to. I know how commission works. My job is commission only!

I didn't have to ask for perks, the Carnival rep came right out told me what perks were being offered. My group is getting champagne and chocolate covered strawberries per cabin, shared cocktail party and $100 OBC per cabin.

Archived