Zuiderdam-needs that re-fit!

colmil

In addition to needed maintenance, I understand that the aft end of the ship will be re-worked to add cabins, making layout and cabin numbers similar to the newer Noordam. If you check details of the ships in the HAL brochures, you'll see that the Noordam's as-built passenger capacity is slightly larger than the other Vista Class ships.

If I recall correctly there is quite a bit of discussion about the refit in another thread entitled "We don't need no stinkin' refit."

Not like Noordam - like Westerdam.

Noordam has the Explorations Cafe on Promenade Deck, Westerdam now has it in the Crow's Nest.

Noordam's aft balconies are evenly stepped - Westerdam does not, and neither will Zuiderdam and as a result their capacity is slightly lower.

One strange thing that we could not figure out......there were small *holes* in the floor in various random places throughout the ship. Since they were covered in carpeting you didn't notice until you stepped in one. :confused:

This is not the first we've heard of this:

Apparently there has been an issue with the concrete that Fincantieri used on Zuiderdam - the mix was not properly prepared and the result is that the concrete that is used to level the decks atop the steel plating is crumbling in spots. Some parts were replaced during Zuiderdam's first drydock 3 years ago and it sounds like there's more that needs replacing.

When was her last wet-dock?

I agree ... HAL generally earns their moniker "the Spotless fleet." Not that there aren't exceptions to this, of course.

Greg--

I think you recall seeing her in Tortola this past January: we both noticed how worn Zuiderdam looked next to her newer sister - even while Noordam was receiving touch up paint to her blue hull and Zuiderdam's hull was faded and worn away at the bow down to the primer...

...IMO, it's the wear and tear of the 7-day itineraries as opposed to the 10/11/12 day itineraries of some of the other ships where the crew have more time to better maintain the ships.

Noordam has the Explorations Cafe on Promenade Deck, Westerdam now has it in the Crow's Nest.

Noordam's aft balconies are evenly stepped - Westerdam does not, and neither will Zuiderdam and as a result their capacity is slightly lower.

Good evening,

Didn't WESTERDAM get the '' add-on'' aft, with 14-16 new verandhas staterooms, during drydock this past spring ??? I seem to remember some posts with pix of the new add-on portions being fitted on....and some comments about O'dam and Z'dam being next in line oveer the next couple of years....

Just wondering....

Cheers

:)

Greg--

I think you recall seeing her in Tortola this past January: we both noticed how worn Zuiderdam looked next to her newer sister - even while Noordam was receiving touch up paint to her blue hull and Zuiderdam's hull was faded and worn away at the bow down to the primer...

...IMO, it's the wear and tear of the 7-day itineraries as opposed to the 10/11/12 day itineraries of some of the other ships where the crew have more time to better maintain the ships.

Recall!???I've got photos of that ship "meeting" here!!!!! :D (Link only ... don't wanna bother

I didn't notice that much wear on her paint-job, but I wasn't looking closely for that and I don't doubt it. Still, it's sad. There are 8 dam ships that have been in the fleet longer than the Zuiderdam, and yet they are very well maintained. One of them is the lovely Volendam, which we will be enjoying in just a few weeks!

I am sure the vistas see a high amount of wear and tear. On our trip last year Oosterdam was fresh out of drydock , and they were still replacing carpeting all over. Upholstery, and carpet seem to be things that take quite a beating. Sorry to hear she wasnt looking her best. I'll post my impressions of current condition of Oosterdam when we return

This is my third trip with Holand America. The ship was clean and fine. After serving 1500 people routinely for four years things do show wear and normal use. The food was excellent. ( I am a restaurnant professional for 40 years) I stayed in a SY suite and found the beding the same as the Marriott on shore. Hotels routinely remodel evcery 4-6 years. Just think over 1400 nights (52 weeks time 4 years) with 200 plus changes of guests. Wear and tear will show. I will sail on Holland again this winter.

This is my third trip with Holand America. The ship was clean and fine. After serving 1500 people routinely for four years things do show wear and normal use. The food was excellent. ( I am a restaurnant professional for 40 years) I stayed in a SY suite and found the beding the same as the Marriott on shore. Hotels routinely remodel evcery 4-6 years. Just think over 1400 nights (52 weeks time 4 years) with 200 plus changes of guests. Wear and tear will show. I will sail on Holland again this winter.

Thank You Travelwarm!

I am less worried about Z's condition for our November sailing after reading your post. Though it does sound as though she is ready for drydock!

Jim

Thanks for the correction. I'd assumed, incorrectly, that the Vista Class ships would end up about the same - guess I should take a closer look at the deck plans.

Bob

On my September 2005 onboard Zuiderdam, I did notice some of the things that had been mentioned in the posts leading up to the cruise - the uneven floors and the plumbing issue/smell down by the theater.

The uneven sections in the floor - they were quite like 'holes' under the carpet - were something I hadn't come across on any other ship before, but I quickly learned where they were and they never bothered me.

The sewer-like smell - not overpowering by any means, but certainly detectable, was also accompanied by a wet section of carpet that often had a yellow 'wet floor' pylon on it and a wet vac nearby even when crew wasn't there. It was just near midship, between the elevators and the curving hallway going past the theater on port side. I believe there was a ladies room there as well. Obviously I'd prefer not to have musty/sewer smells on any ship, it really didn't bother me either, since I only passed it occasionally and it wasn't really that strong.

It was a great cruise, a beautiful ship, and compared favorably to any of my other cruises. At the time, the Standard of Excellence upgrades had not yet occurred, so my upcoming November cruise on Zuiderdam will hopefully be even better, with the nicer matresses in place in the SY/SS suites. I'm expecting to find the holes in the same places they were before...maybe a new one or two...and might find that sewer odor on occasion. But i must admit, I don't really study the number of blemishes in the furnishings on any ship. The only problems that would detract from my cruise and make me wish for a drydock would be if any of the public rooms were closed, chairs or tables were busted and couldn't be sat on, or doors/fittings were jammed opened or closed. A little wear and tear on paint or finishes wouldn't be enough to spoil the excellent service, food, and cabins for me!

My DH and I sailed on the Noordam this past May and were so impressed by HAL that we convinced my Mom & sister to join us on Zuiderdam in November. Since Mom & sis have not cruised at all, I was hoping for a GREAT first impression. Sounds like I might not get it on the Zuiderdam. Maybe I should have done more research on this board before selecting this ship...

Thanks for the correction. I'd assumed, incorrectly, that the Vista Class ships would end up about the same - guess I should take a closer look at the deck plans.

Bob

A quick look at the before and after refit deck plans got me to wondering how placing the Explorations Cafe in Crow's nest affects dance floor area in Crow's nest. Hard to tell by comparing the small scale deck plans.

I know that in the Noordam's configuration, with Explorations located elsewhere, dance floor space was barely adequate lot of the time and inadequate for events such as Black & White Ball during the '06 big band TA, not surprising as big band theme probably attracts a disproportionate number of dancers. Any experience with floor adequacy on Westerdam?

I'm just curious, as my '08 crossing on Zuiderdam will be before the April '08 refit.

• 2 weeks later...
The singer in the Piano Bar is great, really good nights entertainment.

If that's the case, then they must have booted off Crazy Man Dan, who was the worst pianist/singer I have ever seen on a ship, especially for someone chosen to lead sing-a-longs. He banged the keys loudly, his voice boomed, but he couldn't get anyone to sing along to the songs he chose and he complained that he didn't know the songs that everyone wanted to hear.

My DH and I sailed on the Noordam this past May and were so impressed by HAL that we convinced my Mom & sister to join us on Zuiderdam in November. Since Mom & sis have not cruised at all, I was hoping for a GREAT first impression. Sounds like I might not get it on the Zuiderdam. Maybe I should have done more research on this board before selecting this ship...

If you totally avoid certain public areas on the ship, such as the bar area that surrounds the atrium just as you return inside after the muster drill—a tattered and hideous disaster area that will make a HORRIBLE first impression—you may do OK. We met first-timers who were very happy with their experience, though I think you and DH will be disappointed to see the condition of the ship compared to the newer Noordam.

The officers and crew when we were on her last month were top-notch. Guest Relations people, our cabin attendant, our Indian Maitre' d Atul, all were just terrific, as was Captain Timmers.

The Promenade Deck with teak loungers was wonderful, as always.

Room service food was served piping hot and on time. Our stateroom (SS category) was well laid out, and the bed was comfortable, though I personally hate the toilet SEAT design, which I was told is identical throughout all the newer Vista class ships.

We thought most of the food was very good, with some notable exceptions.

The seating seemed very crowded, though. And the dining room seemed quite loud to us.

We liked the showroom a lot and enjoyed a couple of the individual acts.

We just avoided the few seats with bad sightlines. As mentioned above, we disliked the Piano Bar guy so much his name ended up on our questionnaire with negative comments.

What we absolutely hated about the ship was the stinky odor of the cigarette smoke that we encountered, especially from balconies on our deck.

Will we go back on a HAL Vista class ship as long as there is smoking permitted on balconies? Not a chance.

We were on the Zuiderdam for the second time in May 2005.

At that time there were many uneven areas in the hallways. DH is in a wheelchair, and he would notice when the floor had low spots.

The HM said the problem was with the materials used for the floors and the problems would be corrected when the ship went into drydock. Not sure when that was.

The low, uneven areas in the passageways are still there.

:D

Yes, quite strange since there wasn't a pattern to it......down a hall here and there, various public rooms here and there.....we said "ooops" quite a lot. (I'm so glad you noticed too....I hesitated mentioning it lest people think I'm a bit looney!) ;)

Hi there. You aren't looney. The floors are definitely odd, to say the least.

I was on the Zuiderdam for the 8-18 sailing out of Vancouver. I did notice a couple of low spots in the floor also, but every ship I've been on has had some kind of wear and tear so didn't think much of it. Our cabin was immaculate and the furniture didn't show any wear at all. The beds were heavenly and the regular balcony cabin was good sized.

I thought she looked beautiful and very well maintained, and I loved the simple elegance of the Waterford Crystal Seahorse in the Atrium.

Constellation last year had a lot more rust showing and peeling paint.

These ships are not new and really can't be compared to the Noordam or Freedom of the Seas. If you want a new ship decor and furnishings, then book a new ship.

On my last HAL sailing on the "old" Noordam in '99, we even found her to be beautiful and she was really old and showing her age, but that lent to the ambiance of a voyage, not just a vacation.

We were on the 9/1 sailing of Zuiderdam and yes, there are areas that need to be addressed. However, things are not in appalling condition. As noted, it is the carpets and upholstery that show the most wear. We noticed stains and/or worn areas on furniture in public areas, along with extremely worn vinyl (?) upholstery in the sports bar. None of it is overwhelmingly bad, though. It simply looks a little tired. What did suprise me a little was the state of our veranda furniture (SB 8135). A lot of the fake rattan was unravelled or unravelling and it did look tacky - if you looked. (On the positive side, they re-painted part of the veranda while we were in port one day). We also noticed the missing paint and rust in the doorway of the bathroom - unavoidable when you were sitting on the throne. It was only on one side and your eye was drawn to it since it was a completely different color from the paint on the rest of the door frame. It was only about a 3" x 3" section, though. So, there were little things.

The only thing that I think could be potentially troublesome would be the uneven flooring under the carpet, which I noticed on deck 8 - and perhaps on deck 7. I think a person with serious mobility issues could possibly have problems, depending on the severity of their disability. Still, for most people, it is of minimal concern. (I have a relative with a nerve disorder who literally cannot feel her feet, but I'd expect to see her on a scooter or in a wheelchair if onboard a ship anyway).

It's very possible that there are other areas that need attention, but since I don't go to Lido and was in the Vista Lounge exactly once, I didn't notice them - and I wasn't actively trying to keep track of stuff other than to remember because someone here on CC was bound to ask about it. I admit I expended minimal effort on remembering these things, though.

We'd happily re-board Zuiderdam in her current state, but if a person is really detail-oriented, they might not want to sail her until after the dry dock. We all have our little pet peeves and if this is one of yours, I'd try a different ship. JMHO :)

There have been problems with the cement floors on some ships, for some reason the floors have deteriorated. I have heard this also about other Vista ships and hopefully they will at least do patches prior to drydock if they become dangerous.

April 3rd to 25th, 2008.

No - I was talking about the drydock that was scheduled sometime after our May 2005 sailing.

The concrete was to have been repaired at that time.

As were the refrigerators -- on our sailing some issue with the coils caused some of the refrigerators to break down. No ice cream, fresh dairy, etc. for days.

I was on the August 18-25, 2007 sailing of the Zuiderdam. It is in definite need some TLC. I didn't think any cruise line would let a ship get to that kind of condition. That being said, it won't ruin your vacation.

- inside of elevators are scuffed up and scratched

- carpets are worn out

- furniture has stains or is broken

- decals and paint around the main pool are chipping or peeling off

I've been on Carnvial, Celebrity, and RCL ships, and this was my first cruise on HAL. I had a decent time, but I won't be sailing on HAL in the future.

I was on the August 18-25, 2007 sailing of the Zuiderdam. It is in definite need some TLC. I didn't think any cruise line would let a ship get to that kind of condition. That being said, it won't ruin your vacation.

- inside of elevators are scuffed up and scratched

- carpets are worn out

- furniture has stains or is broken

- decals and paint around the main pool are chipping or peeling off

I've been on Carnvial, Celebrity, and RCL ships, and this was my first cruise on HAL. I had a decent time, but I won't be sailing on HAL in the future.

Geez - you make it sound like my cruise aboard Mercury last year...

...at least you didn't get Noro!

Archived