Queen Victoria Grill Class press release

desirod

I'm torn.

Do I agree with Ken or the OP? :confused:

Talk about between a rock and a hard place! :eek:

Matthew

Neither, Matthew.

You are going to revel in the fact that you can afford to go grill on the QV, and that you know how to tie your own bow tie! <G>

Yes - but which way round do you mean? Which country has the greater income disparity.......I fear (some of) the cousins are in denial about 'class' in America - heck, in some of your school textbooks it disappears after the revolution.....try telling that to Hurricane Katherine survivors in New Orleans.....It is Cunard US that grinds out the 'class' stuff - Cunard UK knows we'd fall about laughing at it.....

Peter

Obviously, Cunard is trying to appeal to those poor souls who need status symbols to convince themselves of their worth, and I am not talking about Money. That whole PR bull-dingy is just chock full of superlatives, but more importantly BLATANTLY appealing to snobbism! I find, for the most part, that people who feel a need to put on airs, or acting better than others (bragging, showing off, athletic prowess, the best stereo, car, or the McMansion, what-have-you) are begging for people to reinforce how fabulous their (life/talent/money/whatever) is, because something in them intrinsically knows it is a sham (or fears it is) or they feel like a fake, or maybe even a little disappointed that their (wealth/power/looks/talent) hasn't brought them "true" happiness. I think this basically appeals to people who are insecure enough to want to be "reminded" of how important they are. That's really kind of sad and pathetic, if you think about it!

I really do feel sorry for people like that. I always think how truly "lonely" they must be. I work with a few egotistical people who pull power trips and act obnoxious at times just to have the power to irritate. It still aggravates me, but it is so sad that someone feels a need to act that way. These same people is full of braggadocio. They are the kind who might jump at the idea of exclusivity, not for the privacy, but for the ostentatiousness. In fact, my middle-aged manager who walks with a swagger and owns a mint Corvette- Kind of pathetic!

Oh well. They can look down on me all they want! I'll be down there having the time of my life!

Karie,

who has no problem with people spending their money any way that pleases them, but think Cunard is trying a little too hard to find people who would respond to that sort of "look how important you must be to be sailing grilll-class" appeal

I don’t think Cunard is turning back the clock 50 years. Look at RCL, when you book a suite you get perks like a free suites only cocktail lounge, on Celebrity suites get butler service among other perks. If you are willing to pay more for the same trip as everyone else I think these perk are expected. The ships are not class divided with lines never to be crossed.

Steve

Yes, and when you are on a HAL Deluxe Verandah Suite, it is simply marvelous (we lucked into a rate we couldn't refuse for an 8 day Christmas cruise a couple of years ago) you get the fresh flowers or fruit daily, the concierge service, the small private lounge, etc. but they don't write it up as though it will make you royalty, and you develop a halo.

Cunard seems to be TRYING to create class distinction!

Karie,'

who isn't buying it!

Yes, and when you are on a HAL Deluxe Verandah Suite, it is simply marvelous (we lucked into a rate we couldn't refuse for an 8 day Christmas cruise a couple of years ago) you get the fresh flowers or fruit daily, the concierge service, the small private lounge, etc. but they don't write it up as though it will make you royalty, and you develop a halo.

Cunard seems to be TRYING to create class distinction!

Karie,'

who isn't buying it!

Sums it up perfectly. The fault lies with the marketing, not the passengers. Cunard's blurb makes it sound like they're trying to appeal to the likes of Alexis in Dynasty.

Uh oh, 80's memory flashback....big shoulder pads......fabulous drama queens....glitzy frocks.....catfights......I, I, I've changed my mind. I wanna go posh on QV! :cool:

I had a difficult time deciding how to reply to this post, however, here we go:

I beleive all publicity trumps up whatever it is it is trying to press. Granted this Grill press is excessive, however, I did not look into it as anything more than excessive PR which is very normal. I do not think it was intended to create hurt feelings or the sense that some are better than others etc. I also do not think it was intended to stereotype Grill passengers as a collection of shallow hollow souls who are trying to replace something missing in their lives by looking down on others, that is a harsh view. I beleive Cunard lines is trying to address an issue unique to their ships, the fact they have an enormous difference in voyage fares and in return what people expect in paying those fares. In short they are combining premium, deluxe, and ulta deluxe cruise formats all on one ship (forgive the descriptions). All passengers expect wonderful cuisine, service, amenities etc. and deserve them (do not misunderstand me). However beginning fares on the Cunard ships are equal to very nice staterooms/suites on a HAL ship, the fares rise to deluxe suite/penthouse level on Hal ships to Crystal cruise level in the Princess Grill, and the Queens Grill prices go beyond Radisson Seven Seas, Crystal, and Silver Sea Cruises in many cases, where the level of service and amenities are very hard to improve on. Cunard PR has to make a case for passengers to view the Gills as worth the extra fares. They will be comparing Cunards product/amenities to some stiff competition and if they are charging more of course one will ask what will I get in return. On the ship's which Cunard's Grill experience is competing with passengers never have to wait for a seat at a bar, show, or sun lounge. Many times cocktails and glasses of wine and champagne are included in the fare and caviar is a stock item free for the entire ship. They are waited on hand and foot with some of the highest guest to staff percentages in the industry, and are able to dine when they wish. These things are acheived on much smaller ships with fewer passenger loads, not on ships with approx. 2,000 passengers onboard. I beleive the location of the Grill area was not chosen to "look down" on other passengers, but simply was logistically a logical location. The area has a concentrated area of service for Grill guests instead of facilities being spread around the ship.

I fear I have shaken the hornets nest, but know my intentions were for the best. Always remember not to stereotype a person, group, or country based on the actions of a few bad eggs (or pomp in a press relase).

I have read and reread the said press release and for the life of me I cannot find anything wrong with what is said other than the wordy and florid style. It is just a detailed description of all the services and facilities available to passengers booking 'exclusive' (i.e. expensive!) Queens or Princess Grill cabins - where's the problem in that? I think the people seeing nasty 'class' motives in this press release, or the concept of Grill cabins at all, have a problem that maybe they need to address privately rather than publicly rant about something that only signposts their own insecurites.

Ken

think i was on the same cruise as you did in 2005 on qe2. was she delayed in trondheim? i was stuck in my cabin for 2 days.

dave

I was on the May 29th 2005 QE2 Cruise to Germany and Norway (homeland cruising for me ;-))

We didn't got to Trondheim but visited Hamburg. Oslo (just wnet home to for change of clothes and get rid of unnecesary luggage, I live 15 minutes walk from the dockside), Stavanger, Bergen, Geiranger, Ålesund, Flåm and disembarked in Amsterdam.

There was a virus running around the ship but didn't catch anything. So it was a very nice cruise! :)

Reint

I think the people seeing nasty 'class' motives in this press release, or the concept of Grill cabins at all, have a problem that maybe they need to address privately rather than publicly rant about something that only signposts their own insecurites.

Ken

Errr, I thought this was a forum for discussion. The Cunard board's going to get rather boring if people address their "insecurities" "privately"

Naff marketing is naff marketing - and I've not read any posts which take a pop at actual Grill Passengers - only the sort of people that one imagines Cunard's florid publicity might be trying to attract.

Well, we booked our grill stateroom long before these superlatives came out. I enjoy going that way mainly because at home I'm the butler, maid and car service all rolled into one. When I'm on holiday, I want to live my fantasy life to the fullest. To me, the worst part of the voyage is when my pumpkin life reappears and I realize that the glass slipper only fits when we are at sea <grin>.

But one thing I'd like clarification on - I don't think the theater boxes are exclusively for Grill passengers. I think they are on a first come, first serve basis like Todd English - right? - perhaps someone with better info can shed some light on this.

Morrie

I don't think the theater boxes are exclusively for Grill passengers. I think they are on a first come, first serve basis

Correct - they are for sale to anyone with ready money for an 'experience' including drinks & nibbles. Those boxes which are not sold are supposed to be available on a 'First Come First Served' basis - but I've no idea how that will work......sounds like a bun fight in the making......:rolleyes:

Correct - they are for sale to anyone with ready money for an 'experience' including drinks & nibbles. Those boxes which are not sold are supposed to be available on a 'First Come First Served' basis - but I've no idea how that will work......sounds like a bun fight in the making......:rolleyes:

So, if one is interested in this (still not sure about it) is it something that should be booked ahead of time or once on board?

So, if one is interested in this (still not sure about it) is it something that should be booked ahead of time or once on board?

I don't think we know yet, including the cost, for example....this 'boxes' thing has sort of dribbled out....if they prove very popular then I expect pre-Voyage booking may be started....

Fetch the popcorn, would you, Grommit. With a bit of luck, a fight's going to start. Do you want to support the Gorillas this time?

Good lord. A giant man just moved your arm half a millimetre. Has that happened before? Too much cheese, I think.

Well, we booked our grill stateroom long before these superlatives came out. I enjoy going that way mainly because at home I'm the butler, maid and car service all rolled into one. When I'm on holiday, I want to live my fantasy life to the fullest. To me, the worst part of the voyage is when my pumpkin life reappears and I realize that the glass slipper only fits when we are at sea <grin>.

Morrie

So, Morrie,

In light of your usual home avocation, I can count on you to come up to my house, do my laundry and cleaning, organize my chaotic household and ferry me 'round? <G>

Karie,

who thinks what she REALLY needs is a wife!

It works for some men, why not?

So, Morrie,

In light of your usual home avocation, I can count on you to come up to my house, do my laundry and cleaning, organize my chaotic household and ferry me 'round? <G>

Karie,

who thinks what she REALLY needs is a wife!

It works for some men, why not?

And in exchange you will support me in the style to which my husband wishes I wasn't so accustomed? Absolutely!!!!!! ;)

I was on the May 29th 2005 QE2 Cruise to Germany and Norway (homeland cruising for me ;-))

We didn't got to Trondheim but visited Hamburg. Oslo (just wnet home to for change of clothes and get rid of unnecesary luggage, I live 15 minutes walk from the dockside), Stavanger, Bergen, Geiranger, Ålesund, Flåm and disembarked in Amsterdam.

There was a virus running around the ship but didn't catch anything. So it was a very nice cruise! :)

Reint

With respect, you weren't.:)

We were on the seven night 29/6/2005 cruise to Norway - Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund and Flaam.

Yours went on the 6/7/05......

Matthew

I just know the "box prices" of the ones in the "Viennies Opera House" and they are quite heavy, so it'll be interesting to me at what price Cunard will offer the ones on QV. Any idea?

But the Wiener Staatsoper has a rather better orchestra and singers than QV......

Matthew

I just re-read that press release, and I'm beginning to think the Marketing staff went over to someone's house, got rip roaring drunk on Jack Daniels and Jagermeiser, huddled around a computer (they wouldn't be able to read something handwritten the next morning) and created this masterpiece. They probably giggle amongst themselves any time they see it.

It probably took them 10 minutes of hyena-ish laughter-filled debate to decide how to spell "livery" and what it meant, exactly.

IMHO.

I have read and reread the said press release and for the life of me I cannot find anything wrong with what is said other than the wordy and florid style. It is just a detailed description of all the services and facilities available to passengers booking 'exclusive' (i.e. expensive!) Queens or Princess Grill cabins - where's the problem in that? I think the people seeing nasty 'class' motives in this press release, or the concept of Grill cabins at all, have a problem that maybe they need to address privately rather than publicly rant about something that only signposts their own insecurites.

Ken

I couldn't agree more! I think the reading in of class motives says more about the psychological state of the reader than the press release.

Archived