Queen Victoria Grill Class press release

desirod

An exclusive world virtually unknown to all but the most seasoned and sophisticated travelers, the Cunard Grills represent the pinnacle of seagoing service, luxurious accommodations and comfort. Now, in the grand Cunard tradition, Queen Victoria is poised to put her own stamp on the Cunard Grills, affording travelers the opportunity to experience the storied Golden Age of Ocean Travel in the same memorable way that royalty, heads of state and celebrities have done for generations.

A theme park for the nouveau riche

When she enters service in December 2007, Queen Victoria will usher in a new era of Cunard innovation while showcasing the distinctive features that make a Cunard vessel the world standard-bearer. Nowhere is this more evident than in the renowned Queens Grill and Princess Grill, the pair of exclusive dining rooms and their corresponding Grill-category accommodations. Located on Deck 11, the Grills share the concierge-staffed private Grills Lounge, as well as the exquisite Grills Courtyard for al fresco dining and afternoon tea, and exclusive Grills Upper Terrace (on Deck 12), where White Star(SM) staff will provide cool towels, Evian spritzes, fresh fruit, sorbets and tea sandwiches to sun-seeking guests.

Among the Grills' most distinguishing features is its more private location. Access is by private elevator and the Grills themselves are enclosed by gently curving panoramic glass walls on the seaboard side and cantilevered above Deck 10 over the side of the ship.

"Aboard our newest ship, we are taking our historic Cunard Grills experience to the next level," said Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line. "Whether a traveler seeks a once-in-a-lifetime adventure steeped in luxury or is a longtime guest who has become accustomed to our Cunard ways, the experience aboard Queen Victoria will 'wow' them with its range of services, amenities and anticipatory White Star(SM) Service."

Within the Queens Grill and Princess Grill, guests enjoy plush ambiance and single-seating dining that rival the finest restaurants in the world. Cunard has long been regarded as a culinary leader and nowhere is its supremacy more apparent than in the Grills.

A combination of art deco and classic design

The decorating comittee could not decide on imitating the Edwardian of the Regatta and the Art Deco of Mary 1, so to placate the political infighting they put the 2 together that please nobody. The result is visually an ice cream and ketchup milkshake

distinguish the exclusive 132-seat Princess Grill and 142-seat Queens Grill restaurants. With a color palette of cream, gold and blue in the Queens Grill and gold, green and coral in the Princess Grill, the overall Grills aesthetic is an exquisite balance of rich wood-paneled walls in muted shades of cream and brown, bronze mirrors, and pale cream-colored ceilings, accented with faux gold paneled moldings around backlit coves. During the day, the entire length of the dining rooms is illuminated with natural light emanating from floor-to-ceiling windows, creating spectacular views of the seas below. At night, the rooms take on a dramatic ethereal quality bathed with soft lighting from decorative glass up-lights creating a golden glow around the room. The finest Wedgwood bone china, Waterford crystal, sterling silverware and Fili d'Oro Italian premium linens complete the scene, creating an elegant and timeless atmosphere.

The Grills offer extensive menus dedicated to the day's diverse specialties and much loved a la carte favorites such as Lobster Thermidor, Dover sole, and Chateaubriand. In the Queens Grill, the menu functions merely as a guide because, in grand Cunard tradition, the staff takes pleasure in accommodating any request, on or off the menu, if available.

There is a special atmosphere every evening within the Grills, where nights begin in the exclusive of the Grills Lounge with pre-dinner cocktails and canapes striking just the right relaxing note. Overseeing everything from tableside flambe to the smooth operation of each Grill is a dedicated senior maitre d'hotel and sommelier who offers expertise and access to the ship's wine cellar.

Grill guests who prefer to dine in the fresh sea air may book a table on the Grills Courtyard, an intimate Tuscan-inspired

Ceaser's Palace inspired, but made of fine foam plastic

space featuring seating for 40 on a first-come, first-served basis. The Courtyard also offers pre- and post-dinner cocktails and afternoon tea. In addition, Grill guests may arrange private cocktail parties and special occasion dinners for small groups in the Courtyard.

In the Grills Lounge, guests enjoy traditional afternoon tea, full bar service, pre- and post-dinner cocktails and drinks with petite after-dessert offerings accompanied by live entertainment.

Nothing at sea compares to Queens Grill accommodations. The ultimate in luxury, these Q1 - Q7 stateroom suites aboard Queen Victoria feature butler service with butlers who have been trained to the exacting standards of the International Guild of Professional Butlers. These ever-efficient butlers stand ready to assist with unpacking and packing (using tissue paper between folds to ensure a flawless finish), uncork the requisite bottle of French Champagne on departure and serve en-suite canapes every evening, among their myriad duties.

Exploiting 3rd world labor. Mr and Mrs. Overnightmoney screaming at the servants day and night

Beautifully decorated in light woods and neutral shades of beige accented by nautically-inspired artwork, the Queens Grill accommodations include Grand and Master Suites, Penthouses and Queens Suites. They range in size from 508- to 2,121-square feet and each features a sofa and a generously-sized balcony. In addition, Grand Suites include a large dining table.

Other singular services and amenities of Queens Grill suites include fresh flower arrangements, fruit baskets and bottled water replenished daily, personalized Cunard stationery, turndown service with Sweet Dreams chocolate surprise on formal nights, bath salts, a manicure kit, umbrella and binoculars. The grandest Queens Grill accommodations (Q1 - Q4) take luxury to the next level with in-room DVD players and library of films, and priority disembarkation.

Likewise, Princess Grill accommodations promise a peerless experience. The P1 - P4 stateroom suites aboard Queen Victoria range in size from 335- to 513-square feet and feature spacious private balconies, beautifully decorated living areas, two beds that can covert to a Queen bed and a bath with shower. Upon embarkation, Princess Grill guests enjoy a bon voyage bottle of sparkling wine and sugar-iced strawberries, as well as a fresh fruit basket and fresh orchid in stateroom.

Queens or Princess Grill accommodations provide a range of perks and privileges, including single-seating dining in their respective dining room or en-suite; access to the private Grills concierge and Queens Grill Lounge and Terrace; priority embarkation and luggage delivery with separate Grill check-in, Fili d'Oro fine linens, duvet and pillow concierge, flat screen TVs, whirlpool bathtubs, daily abridged newspaper, shoe shine service, terry cloth bathroom and slippers, and selection of fine bath amenities.

The 90,000-ton Queen Victoria will offer the very best of Cunard's heritage and traditions,

what about their worst like classicsm, elitism, one-upsmanship and decedance

along with all modern day luxuries including some exciting innovations. These will include the first private viewing boxes at sea in the Royal Court Theatre,

just rub it in the face of everyone of how much money you spent. Mrs Bucket will eb sure to get the closest box to the stage so people can see her although she cannot see the stage

the first Cunardia museum exhibit at sea, housing Cunard artifacts and memorabilia along with the first two-storey, library at sea featuring an elegant spiral staircase.

From the outside, her distinctive black and red livery will hint at the sophistication that differentiates a Cunard liner. This will be most evident in the ship's adherence to liner traditions of the past, with elegant public rooms, many on a grand scale, featuring rich wood paneling, intricate mosaics and gleaming chandeliers. There will also be a grand, colonial-style conservatory complete with a retractable glass roof.

hmmm colonialism conservatory

As well as being the second largest Cunarder ever built, Queen Victoria's arrival is particularly noteworthy as it will mark the first time that three Cunard Queens have been in service together in the company's 168-year history (she joins the world's grandest liner, Queen Mary 2 and the world's most famous liner, QE2).

This queen should abdicate. It is everything the QM2 is not.

Add the QV to Cunard Screw-ups

I'd happily add this press release to the 'Pompous, pretentious prattle' pile - but I think it may be a tad premature to right off a ship because of some marketing intern's verbal diarrhea.....though I agree the colour scheme for PG sounds a bit Miami Beach.......:eek:

Peter

I'd happily add this press release to the 'Pompous, pretentious prattle' pile - but I think it may be a tad premature to right off a ship because of some marketing intern's verbal diarrhea.....though I agree the colour scheme for PG sounds a bit Miami Beach.......:eek:

Peter

I agree. WAY too many adjectives (and even some adverbs). You can't take this kind of press release to heart. Reminds me of the way real-estate listings are written.

Kathy

though I agree the colour scheme for PG sounds a bit Miami Beach.......:eek:

Peter

If it has been done properly art deco, I wouldn't expect the colour scheme to be any different!

I am excited that there is a new Cunarder, and will wait till we have been on it to comment.

[/i]

A theme park for the nouveau riche

[/i]

The decorating comittee could not decide on imitating the Edwardian of the Regatta and the Art Deco of Mary 1, so to placate the political infighting they put the 2 together that please nobody. The result is visually an ice cream and ketchup milkshake

Ceaser's Palace inspired, but made of fine foam plastic

Exploiting 3rd world labor. Mr and Mrs. Overnightmoney screaming at the servants day and night

what about their worst like classicsm, elitism, one-upsmanship and decedance

just rub it in the face of everyone of how much money you spent. Mrs Bucket will eb sure to get the closest box to the stage so people can see her although she cannot see the stage

hmmm colonialism conservatory

This queen should abdicate. It is everything the QM2 is not.

What tosh .... Inverted snobbery at it's worst :rolleyes:

If it has been done properly art deco, I wouldn't expect the colour scheme to be any different!

I am excited that there is a new Cunarder, and will wait till we have been on it to comment.

Well said - at last someone who puts their brain in gear before they open their mouth :D

Ken

Sounds like the OP has a personal grudge against the QV and weathly people in general. Why do people judge the rich and how they spend their money? It's their money and they or their family worked very hard/smart for it! If I could afford to do so I would sail QG, especially if traveling with my children. Having a butler to help with unpacking and all the other little comforts they provide would be heaven! I certainly wouldn't be screaming at them, rather I would be kissing their feet in thankfullness! (Not exactly what a rich snob would do ja?) And if I was sailing in QG the theather boxes would be perfect for our family. The girls would be able to play quietly behind us while we enjoyed the show or when older enjoy it with us without their "Mommy Look" whispers annoying anyone else. I would also guess that if the OP could afford it they would sail QG too!

I'm torn.

Do I agree with Ken or the OP? :confused:

Talk about between a rock and a hard place! :eek:

Well, I'm looking forward to sailing on Queen Victoria. Queens' Grill, of course. It would be wholeheartedly enthusiastic were it not for the fact that she is replacing Queen Elizabeth 2.

But I think she has the making of a good cruise ship. She'll be distinctive too. And, I understand, those (like that idiot Kindlychap c.2005/6) who wrote her off as a repainted Arcadia will need to wipe egg from face.

Nuff said.

Matthew

I'm torn.

Do I agree with Ken or the OP? :confused:

Talk about between a rock and a hard place! :eek:

Well, I'm looking forward to sailing on Queen Victoria. Queens' Grill, of course. It would be wholeheartedly enthusiastic were it not for the fact that she is replacing Queen Elizabeth 2.

But I think she has the making of a good cruise ship. She'll be distinctive too. And, I understand, those (like that idiot Kindlychap c.2005/6) who wrote her off as a repainted Arcadia will need to wipe egg from face.

Nuff said.

Matthew

I'd wipe that egg now if I were you Matthew :D

It sounds Absolutely fabulous - just up your street, once you're through official mourning of course ;)

Ken

Wealthy people: They talk of the exclusive grille class.

Ambience Traveler,

Anyone with a $10,000 credit card limit or greater can take a cruise in grille class.

Nothing wrong with paying extra comforts and space if that is a priority. Problem is when people rub status symbols in every one's face. Paying more is not an excuse to look down on someone pays less for less. Unlike the Mary 2 and Lizzie 2 where the class divisions are nearly invisible, the QV it is way too blatant.

It used to be how the other 1/2 lived, now it is the other 10%. Consider a flat screen TV, a cruise, and a nice car is available to a working man. The power elite and billionaires usually do not take cruises but private yachts.

Ken C, I disagree on this subject with you here and on other boards. Then again classism is has a big culture gap between England and America.

Then again classism is has a big culture gap between England and America.

Yes - but which way round do you mean? Which country has the greater income disparity.......I fear (some of) the cousins are in denial about 'class' in America - heck, in some of your school textbooks it disappears after the revolution.....try telling that to Hurricane Katherine survivors in New Orleans.....It is Cunard US that grinds out the 'class' stuff - Cunard UK knows we'd fall about laughing at it.....

Peter

Yes - but which way round do you mean? Which country has the greater income disparity.......I fear (some of) the cousins are in denial about 'class' in America - heck, in some of your school textbooks it disappears after the revolution.....try telling that to Hurricane Katherine survivors in New Orleans.....It is Cunard US that grinds out the 'class' stuff - Cunard UK knows we'd fall about laughing at it.....

Peter

True Peter,

One could do a dissertation. Hurricane Katrina is the mismanagement of the USA government. There is greater socio-economic mobility in the USA, on the other hand those at the bottom have it far worse due to lack of social safety nets than just about any developed country. I love my country but disagree with certain government policies.

Some British perspective

For example British Victorian society’s system of “class” based on birth, access to education and capital and the snobbish social exclusions used to reinforce their privileges, compared to other pecking orders around the world and in

ancient civilisations could spin out to a doctoral thesis!.....................................You can’t buy genuine friendships, guaranteed health or even a faithful lifetime lover!!.........................................

......In the UK, we had M.P. Alan Clark, who once sneered at another politician (Heseltine) who hadn’t been privileged enough to inherit wealth, position and family heirlooms with the put-down: “He’s the sort who had to buy his own furniture”. What an appalling arrogant snob! He screwed around openly, humiliating his wife and according to his own published diary, often lived

on the edge of bankruptcy. However, like all “Flash Harries”- example Lord Archer, and (“sword of truth”) former Member of Parliament Jonathan Aitken in the UK, using wealth or position to look down on others can come home to haunt. They both went to jail! No CLASS!!!!......................................................the Grills experiment on Cunard will bring interesting results. For some, a Cunard cruise is just what they're doing for a holiday this time, but the choice could have easily have been any other of a number of options.

For other, stepping across the

gangplank on a Cunard is the realization of a life's dream and year's of scrimping. It would be disheartening to find that you were on one of the most fabled lines in the world but you are still

not worthy of that line's better treatment. Premiums to suite customers work much better when other's are not aware that they are

2nd class.

Folks, take it easy. :rolleyes:

This is simply a press release.

A press release is never to be taken seriously, as it's only purpose is company propaganda.

Cunard, like most cruise lines today, seem to be focusing their marketing energies on new passengers, not repeaters, and that is clearly where this press release is aimed.

Relax.

We all know that much of Cunard's marketing for QM2 and QE2 is over-the-top fluff.

Some of the comments here are just as over-the-top.

Why are new customers "Gorillas"?

Why are Grill butlers the exploitation of third world labor?

Ridiculous things to say, and no doubt said butlers would take exception, when they're done laughing.

This is simply a press release.

I completely agree.:)

In any case, it seems fairly uiniversal that if you pay ore you get better facilities. Pay more in a hotel and you will get better room. It is not a reflection of your moral worth, or indeed your wealth, simply that you have made a choice to spend more. Is what happens on Cunard's and other people's ships different? And does it matter much?

The class thing is a rich vein of humour that can be endlessly mined. Treat it thus and no more. Happyscot has opined.

You guys really love your Cunard boats. It's nice. I'm tempted.

I've only been on two cruises, both hilarious disasters. I'll tell you about them some time when I'm sober.

Could be a while.

In any case, it seems fairly uiniversal that if you pay ore you get better facilities. Pay more in a hotel and you will get better room. It is not a reflection of your moral worth, or indeed your wealth, simply that you have made a choice to spend more. Is what happens on Cunard's and other people's ships different? And does it matter much?

Perfectly put!

Cunard are in danger of making themselves a laughing stock with these press releases. I can't blame them for majoring on what they perceive as their 'trump card' but they should tone this down before it backfires on them. Their PR is certainly not to be taken too seriously. I find it amusing!

K.

Wealthy people: They talk of the exclusive grille class.

Ambience Traveler,

Anyone with a $10,000 credit card limit or greater can take a cruise in grille class.

Nothing wrong with paying extra comforts and space if that is a priority. Problem is when people rub status symbols in every one's face. Paying more is not an excuse to look down on someone pays less for less. Unlike the Mary 2 and Lizzie 2 where the class divisions are nearly invisible, the QV it is way too blatant.

It used to be how the other 1/2 lived, now it is the other 10%. Consider a flat screen TV, a cruise, and a nice car is available to a working man. The power elite and billionaires usually do not take cruises but private yachts.

Ken C, I disagree on this subject with you here and on other boards. Then again classism is has a big culture gap between England and America.

Desirod, I have the credit card but not the means to pay it off quickly so it would be bad stewardship on my part if I did use it to book QG. Also, I have met "average" people who put on far more airs then the many weathly people that I have met. The wealthy know they are rich and don't have to prove it. It is far more often the case that you have the suburban set trying to impress their neighbors with what they can buy while secretly being under loads of debt. I personally know a woman who used to arrive to our meetings by private helicopter. She was the most down to earth woman you could ever meet (in fact she and her husband were high school drop outs before he invented something and became wealthy) and didn't do it to impress or rub her wealth in our faces. She did it because it saved time and her husband was the pilot and they could. I am sure there are exceptions, there always are!

Wow, they sure spread it on thick, didn't they? That has to be one of the most nauseating press releases ever.

Wonder if anyone actually falls for that "upper crust" drivel? I tried to read the entire thing but had to stop halfway--where's the barfing emoticon at?

"On the Queen Victoria a select number of passengers will be more equal than others..."

Archived