Should we hire a guide who is "bonded"?

sharisoda

I was told by a travel agent that when we hire guides (esp. over the internet) we should be sure they are bonded. I have been on quite a few cruises and have hired guides who were mentioned here on CC. I never thought to ask if they were bonded and I've never had a problem.

I was told by a travel agent that when we hire guides (esp. over the internet) we should be sure they are bonded. I have been on quite a few cruises and have hired guides who were mentioned here on CC. I never thought to ask if they were bonded and I've never had a problem.

great idea, probably not going to happen. We are talking about other countries, not America.

Nita

As a former casualty and surety bond agent, you will be hard pressed to find many bonds outside the United Sates, unless you look into finanacial institutions.

The most common bond is issued for buidling contractors. Bonds are a way for the contractor to guarantee that his services to you will be delivered as advertised and to potect the consumer from incurring cost at the contractor's expense, which is why bonds are important for building contractors and their customers. It's also to make sure that if theft occurs during your association with them, the company is protected.

I'm guessing that for an excursion company to gain a bond, they would have to prove that they had sufficient funds to cover any type of accident or loss of property/life, as well as carrying enough insurance for themselves and their staff to protect against personal fraud. Bonds are not insurance for the protection of the private customer,they merely are a way of making sure a company has enough money or resources to cover its debts in case something happens.

You can certainly ask if a company is bonded, but that just means that they have enough money to not be going under any time soon, which would be to your advantage,but not necessarily for your protection.

Bonds are nice but they are really expensive and most touring agencies wouldn't have the time, money or inclination to go through the bonding process. Do your research, find out what their cancellation policy is and make sure that when you go on a private tour that you trust your gut instincts.

Charlie

Archived