HELP!! It has been 10 years!

Dear CC Board,

It has been 10 years since last cruise. Been on 3 RCCL cruises, all with lovely wife, no children. Got a wild hair a day or so ago, and it is driving me nuts!

I am thinking if it is not too late that I may book a 4 or 5 night cruise over the Christmans holiday for wife and I and our 4 children, ages 12-22. Kids have never cruised, and we can not get away for a week, so I am looking into Soverign, Majesty, Monarch, or am open to suggestions.

Please help me........(1) Is this a bad idea?

(2) Is the make-up of passengers this week to many kids? (Of course I plan on bringing 4, but I am not after a Disney cruise)(not intended as a knock on Disney)

(3) Have the cruise lines cut down on amenities over the past 10 years that we will not recognize it as a great time?

(4) Is the food and service still unforgettable, or are those lost arts?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Eddie Wilson, (and the Cruisers, well 4 of them)

I don't think you are crazy, but then I love to cruise.:D If you are looking at a 4 or 5 night cruise also look at Enchantment of the Seas, I think she is a nicer ship than Monarch and SOS, I have not been on Majesty so I can't comment on that one, but I think she is a sister ship of Monarch and SOS.

We have done Enchantment the last two Decembers and had a great time, service and food is good, but not what you remember 10 years ago, but it is still good.

Your kids will love cruising.

I agree with Enchanment if the itinerary is not your primary concern. But we have cruised on Majesty (four-day cruises) three times and she was completely renovated this year, so she would be an acceptable alternative.

Enchantment has a Chops premium restuarnat, a kind of steak house. That would be an experience for you if you are looking for excellent food, but children are not welcome under fourteen there.

Majesty has a fun Johnny Rockets diner your children might really enjoy. It also has a Sprinkles ice cream bar.

But Enchantment is a much bigger ship than Majesty, so it does have more amenities.

My favorite ships remain the Freedom Class behemoths and the elegant Radiance class ships, but I still think ships such as Enchanment and Majesty have much to offer.

Whatever you decide, I think you will be peasantly surprised how ships are these days.

I also would recommend the Enchantment. However, I will warn you that Christmas and New Years cruises are VERY expensive compared to most other times of the year.

With the age spread of your children, you may not have a choice to avoid this peak time. Once the kids are in college, you can book for the week before Christmas since many campuses start winter break by mid-month. Most high schools and middle schools don't start winter break that early.

Good luck and enjoy your family time together no matter what you decide.

Archived