Fresh water vs. Salt Water

Melb1127

Freedom and Liberty are both FRESHwater. :D I've been there, swam there and I am 100% sure. :)

Thank you! I can't believe how much I hated the salt water pool on the Empress! I won't cruise another ship that has salt water...which leaves out all of Carnival and most of RCL, right?

I have seen some info on how RCL chlorinates the freshwater pools on the Freedom class ships.

They are using what is known as a salt water chlorine generator. A small amount of salt is dissolved in the water (about 3000 ppm which is less salty than the tears in your eyes), an electrical direct current is passed hetween plates in the chlorine generator which disassociates the NaCl (salt) into sodium and chlorine ions, the chlorine sanitizes the water and eventually recombines with the sodium ions to again make salt. The process then starts over. I use a similar system on my swimming pool and it works perfectly. There is no burning of the eyes when you open them under water, and I only have to add salt occasionally during the swimming season to replace what salt is lost due to back-washing or draining evolutions.

You should know, however, that the water has a slightly salty taste.

Hypo

I love salt water pools because of how easy it is to float in the water. We get into that Solarium Pool with out friends and just float and talk and soak up the sun.....

At the hotel pool post-cruise last week, I sank like a stone! :eek: Thank goodness they had float/mats.....

Leslie

I am always amused at the folks who hate salt water in the pools on a cruise ship, and then, in another post talk about snorkeling or swimming at some beach in the Caribbean.

Where do you suppose that they get the salt water that fills the pools?:rolleyes:

Hypo

I love salt water pools because of how easy it is to float in the water. We get into that Solarium Pool with out friends and just float and talk and soak up the sun.....

And, yet, I had the exact opposite experience on the Liberty of the Seas! :D

We'd been at Labadee and I spent a bunch of time with my younger son in the water doing snorkeling and out at the Aqua Park, so I was used to the buoyancy from the salt water.

The next day, our last day on the cruise, I thought I'd try the Solarium pool since I noticed they had a small section with a depth about a foot deeper than the rest of the pools' 5'11". I jumped in and was surprised how hard it was to get back to the surface! I had forgotten that it was freshwater and I had lost a significant amount of buoyancy from the previous day! :)

Archived