Need your opinions please!

Melb1127

I just got off of the Empress of the Seas today and was very disappointed. My main disappointments were the quality of the food and the lack of attentiveness and friendliness by the staff (everywhere).

So here's where I'm looking for your humble opinions...do you think the staff was "ho-hum" because the ship is nearing it's final days? Also, can anyone tell me if the food is better on the Liberty or Freedom because we would love to try one of those ships next year but are extremely reluctant.

Thanks for your help!

I've always enjoyed the food on the RC cruises I've been on......not sure what seems to be up with Empress......must be just a fluke!

I've also always had great staff with the exception of one headwaiter...he was just plain arrogant (not really rude, just 'attitudinal') but when he realized that part of our problems were the large party next to us, and the entire waitstaff in the immediate area confirmed it to him, he warmed up.

Maybe it is just that particular ship.....I wouldn't let it deter me from trying Freedom or Liberty......

I wrote that I found the teens to be out of control on this ship. Screaming and yelling. One group was in the elevator and when people would walk in they would have something nasty to say. We were on the Mariner by the way.

GREAT!!:mad: My first ever cruise is on Mariner.... Aparently if there is nothing to be done with these kids...or young adults that are out of control...and the staff doesnt help...what can we do....wild animals protect their young and family....hmmm what will I do?:confused:

GREAT!!:mad: My first ever cruise is on Mariner.... Aparently if there is nothing to be done with these kids...or young adults that are out of control...and the staff doesnt help...what can we do....wild animals protect their young and family....hmmm what will I do?:confused:

Since you are going in Nov. it might not be too bad. We were in the middle of Aug. and all the kiddos weren't in school yet. She's still a beautiful ship and you will love her.

Congrats on the passing of the bar exam! My sister went through that and I remember how stressed she was. I'm in my final year of nursing school and will take NCLEX next summer - I'm nervous about that as well. Again, Congratulations!!

Ditto on the congrats! I took and passed my NCLEX in July...talk about stress! I'm so glad it's finished and I know how you must feel since you passed the bar!

Yes, I noted it on my survey and was going to write a letter to RCL. I'm not looking for anything in return...just the hope that they can make it better for the upcoming passengers.

Ditto on the congrats! I took and passed my NCLEX in July...talk about stress! I'm so glad it's finished and I know how you must feel since you passed the bar!
Thanks, it's definitely a relief.

Yes, I noted it on my survey and was going to write a letter to RCL. I'm not looking for anything in return...just the hope that they can make it better for the upcoming passengers.

I'm glad that you noted it on your survey because I know they do read and respond to those surveys. A well written letter explaining the issues can also go a long way. I always operate on the assumption that if I haven't told them - then they may not know about the problem (even though in most cases they should).

As to your original question, I've always had a fabulous time and fabulous service on all my RCCL cruises. The few times there have been any issues, the staff has gone above and beyond to make it right - after it was brought to their attention. I definitely think your experience on Empress was a one-off.

I just got off of the Empress of the Seas today and was very disappointed. My main disappointments were the quality of the food and the lack of attentiveness and friendliness by the staff (everywhere).

So here's where I'm looking for your humble opinions...do you think the staff was "ho-hum" because the ship is nearing it's final days? Also, can anyone tell me if the food is better on the Liberty or Freedom because we would love to try one of those ships next year but are extremely reluctant.

Thanks for your help!

I heard this same complaint when the Horizon and Zenith were leaving Celebrity's fleet. The main gripe was that many passengers felt the crews heart just wasn't into their job towards the end. I can understand why this might be the case since many of the employees future's were in limbo. Not knowing where they would be going next or if they would possibly be out of a job? I know when I have worries on my mind it affects my job performance. Do I think the performance of the crew could be affected by Empress leaving the fleet? Yes, I certainly do.

I wrote that I found the teens to be out of control on this ship. Screaming and yelling. One group was in the elevator and when people would walk in they would have something nasty to say. We were on the Mariner by the way.

Did you respond in a way to keep them engaged, or did you do something unexpected to make them scatter? Looking mortified or offended will result in them laughing and continuing their behavior. Looking them deep in the eyes with an expression-less face and continuing to stare (silently) changes the situation. I've even been tempted to remain long before my stop, just so they get the message.

I was on Mariner in July. There were also alot of teens and early-twenties on that sailing, but I didn't experience any trouble from them at all.

BadBoysDriveAudi: Another tactic is to simply ignore them. Move on and don't let them ruin your day.

Congrats on the passing of the bar exam! My sister went through that and I remember how stressed she was. I'm in my final year of nursing school and will take NCLEX next summer - I'm nervous about that as well. Again, Congratulations!!

WTG on the bar. And good luck studying and taking your NCLEX.

Did you respond in a way to keep them engaged, or did you do something unexpected to make them scatter? Looking mortified or offended will result in them laughing and continuing their behavior. Looking them deep in the eyes with an expression-less face and continuing to stare (silently) changes the situation. I've even been tempted to remain long before my stop, just so they get the message.

First let me say that I am a teacher and have been for over 20 years. I have the "teacher" look downpat. The comments in the elevator weren't abou me. I wa already in the elevator, when another group of people walked in. One of the boys yelled out" OOOHHH someone smells bad" My had snapped around so fast and the teacher look was hard and furious. I think I stated this, but we were on Princess in April and if you had a problem with the teens on the boat, one of the youth security people were right on it.

About the food. it's my understanding that they changed the menu fleet wide. They all have about the same items on the menu, they just change the nights. The food never was delivered hot. I know there are a lot of people to serve each night, but some stuff was simple cold, and it wasn't suppose to be.

Yeah and it was our Anniversary and we had said that twice when signing up.... got nothing.

With ships today having 2500 to 4500 passengers, often it will seem like the sevice is impersonal. It is difficult for a large organization to ascertain what are the "wants" of every passenger. The cruise lines used to have free cakes, singing waiters for birthdays and anniversaries, but, it got to be such a ridiculous occurence on the ships with every table wanting a "free cake", that they started charging for the cakes.

It has been our experience, that if you want something special, just ask for it. Once you make your desire known, they will usually try to accomodate it; albeit for a price (sometimes). If you ask for something special, and it is provided gratis, then you should tip accordingly.

Hypo

I've never encountered this kind of behavior on any ship I've been on so I think it's hit or miss.

I heard this same complaint when the Horizon and Zenith were leaving Celebrity's fleet. The main gripe was that many passengers felt the crews heart just wasn't into their job towards the end. I can understand why this might be the case since many of the employees future's were in limbo. Not knowing where they would be going next or if they would possibly be out of a job? I know when I have worries on my mind it affects my job performance. Do I think the performance of the crew could be affected by Empress leaving the fleet? Yes, I certainly do.

We were on one of the last sailings of the Zenith last year and did not notice any difference between that one and any of the other 5 times we were on her. I'm not saying that the performance of some couldn't be or wasn't affected, only that we did not experience any lack of service or friendliness.

I've never encountered this kind of behavior on any ship I've been on so I think it's hit or miss.

When we sailed on the Mariner in August, there was a Carnival ship in one of the ports with us. I guess most of the passengers were irate due to the fact that they had itinerary changes caused by Dean. I understand there were all kinds of fights and a few of the crew members ended up with broken bones.

There seems to always be something that isn't up to our expectations because we have several cruises to compare. We liked the food ok on the Freedom, some things weren't that great but weren't bad. Most of the staff were ok too, our cabin steward never showed his face, but didn't hesitate to accept the tip envelope we left on the bed. We didn't let any of the things that were less than optimal ruin our trip. It was also our anniversary cruise ( 25 y) so we were in our own world anyway:D

We sailed on the Freedom this past February and had a great time. No issues with food or service. I was not expecting outstanding service in the dining room for this cruise, because I earned it through my job, and the last time we were on a cruise that I got through work, the dining room service was really lacking- I think because they knew the company was paying the tips no matter what. It was very impersonal, and not at all up to the standards of our other cruises.

However, on the Freedom, it was really great. Even though we could change tables and sit wherever we wanted in our section, our servers were wonderful. Food was great, and overal a fabulous ship.

I'm sorry you had issues on your trip, but I will say it is not the norm for RCCL.

Alicia

Sovereign of the Seas—July 2000

Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003

Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004

Mariner of the Seas—May 2005

Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006

Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007

Voyager of the Seas—March 2008-- CAN”T WAIT!!

There seems to always be something that isn't up to our expectations because we have several cruises to compare. We liked the food ok on the Freedom, some things weren't that great but weren't bad. Most of the staff were ok too, our cabin steward never showed his face, but didn't hesitate to accept the tip envelope we left on the bed. We didn't let any of the things that were less than optimal ruin our trip. It was also our anniversary cruise ( 25 y) so we were in our own world anyway:D

Congrats on 25 years. About the room steward. When we first started cruising, that was the way it was. You never saw him, unless you rang for him, and that was a good thing. I always consider it a good think when the stweard comes in when I am gone and everthing is perfect when I come back. On the Mariner, he told us that we could call on the phone and he would take care of whatever we needed. we had to search for ours on the last night to give him his tip. We told him to come into the room and he was very reluctant. My daughter had gone to the towel folding demo and made him a towel turtle for thanking him for everything he did.

Your cabin steward cleaned your cabin all week so he shouldn't hesitate to accept the tip.

When we sailed on the Mariner in August, there was a Carnival ship in one of the ports with us. I guess most of the passengers were irate due to the fact that they had itinerary changes caused by Dean. I understand there were all kinds of fights and a few of the crew members ended up with broken bones.

I simply don't get a lot of people. You sign up for a cruise in the heart of hurricane season, and you expect *not* to be affected? Yes, it's disappointing if your port of call(s) changes, but to take it out on the crew? At some point, people just need to start thinking...

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein

... Most of the staff were ok too, our cabin steward never showed his face, but didn't hesitate to accept the tip envelope we left on the bed.

You tip them daily? My last cruise, I just tipped our cabin steward the last night of the trip. He was exceptional and I made sure he was rewarded handsomely.

Are you referring to the Liberty cruise?(Think it was Liberty)...

There was one particular group on board that evidently were terrorizing some passengers. Fights broke out..etc..etc.. One poster said that Carnival did nothing.

What did those passengers want the cruise line to do? Sail into a hurricane?:rolleyes:

I simply don't get a lot of people. You sign up for a cruise in the heart of hurricane season, and you expect *not* to be affected? Yes, it's disappointing if your port of call(s) changes, but to take it out on the crew? At some point, people just need to start thinking...

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein

We always go with the flow. It's disappointing, but such is life. You can't do anything about the weather.

Are you referring to the Liberty cruise?(Think it was Liberty)...

There was one particular group on board that evidently were terrorizing some passengers. Fights broke out..etc..etc.. One poster said that Carnival did nothing.

What did those passengers want the cruise line to do? Sail into a hurricane?:rolleyes:

It was the Carnival Valor

Archived