Which Do you Prefer (San Pedro Question)

Lollipop's Mom

We are flying into LAX. Do you find it is best to stay at an airport hotel and get a shuttle/towncar/cab into San Pedro in the morning, or take the shuttle/cab over to San Pedro after the flight and shuttle to the pier in the morning?

Would love to hear your opinions on whats preferable and why you liked it?

[Lollipop's Mom;11474740]We are flying into LAX. Do you find it is best to stay at an airport hotel and get a shuttle/towncar/cab into San Pedro in the morning, or take the shuttle/cab over to San Pedro after the flight and shuttle to the pier in the morning?

Would love to hear your opinions on whats preferable and why you liked it? Last year we were going to stay by LAX and take a shuttle in the AM to the pier. We changed our mind and stayed in San Pedro overnight and it was much better. Hotel took us to the pier in AM....

We are flying in the day before & I debated between either staying at the airport or near the pier.

We opted to stay at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. Our plane arrives around 3pm or so.. thought it may be more fun going to San Pedro (I know there is not much to do), but I've read there are some great restaurants.. plus it'll be fun waking up in the morning & seeing all of the ships nearby. And if we can, sleep in a little later & not have to worry about traffic, etc and getting to the ship on time;)

Do you find it is best to stay at an airport hotel and get a shuttle/towncar/cab into San Pedro in the morning' date=' or take the shuttle/cab over to San Pedro after the flight and shuttle to the pier in the morning?[/quote']

We prefer to get as close to the terminal as possible, as soon as possible.

We also stayed in San Pedro the night before. It was awsome waking up in the morning and seeing our ship out the window waiting for us!! We stayed at the Crowne Plaza and if you get your room on the right floor and side, you will have a view of the ship. We sailed on Vision of The Seas.

Good luck!:)

We are flying into LAX. Do you find it is best to stay at an airport hotel and get a shuttle/towncar/cab into San Pedro in the morning' date=' or take the shuttle/cab over to San Pedro after the flight and shuttle to the pier in the morning?

Would love to hear your opinions on whats preferable and why you liked it?[/quote']

My answer would be different if you were spending multiple days pre-cruise...Then I would stay at LAX and use it as a base to visit all the tourist sites--which are mostly north of LAX (actually, I'd stay in Santa Monica...but this was given the choice LAX or Pedro)...

But, for a one-night pre-cruise stay, I'd take Pedro any time...here's why:

1) As has been noted, better to get the longer and more stressful or traffic-laden ride out of the way first and already be near the pier when you get up the morning of the cruise...

2) LAX hotels are pretty much under the runway...in a fairly industrial setting with little in the way of restaurants or places you might want to visit...You always get the feeling that you're just killing time, waiting on something...You probably end up eating in the hotel restaurant...

3) If you stay in Pedro, you have some options that are much more pleasant...You can go out to a restaurant in Pedro...or you can catch a cab over to Long Beach and eat there...If you're checked in early enough in the day, you can catch that cab over to Long Beach early...visit the aquarium, walk around Shoreline Village or go see the Queen Mary--then have dinner...Or you can wander a little of San Pedro--go to Ports o' Call Village, have dinner on the waterfront at Acapulco...Either way, you head back to the hotel, sleep in if you want, have a little breakfast and then take the quick hop down to the pier and start your cruise...

We've opted to stay in San Pedro before our cruise in March. Our flight won't arrive in LAX until around 9PM (if we're lucky!). Any thoughts on the best (but not necessarily the cheapest) and most direct way to get to our hotel from the airport?

I would think a towncar or cab would be the fastest and most direct. You can have a towncar service waiting with a sign. The driver will handle all your luggage and you just get in the car. Might cost about $100. Or just go out with your luggage and grab a cab. From what I have read it might be about a $50 cab ride. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

We are flying into LAX. Do you find it is best to stay at an airport hotel and get a shuttle/towncar/cab into San Pedro in the morning' date=' or take the shuttle/cab over to San Pedro after the flight and shuttle to the pier in the morning?

Would love to hear your opinions on whats preferable and why you liked it?[/quote']

On our last cruise on the Monarch last dec we stayed at the Cwown plaza. the monarch leaves on Monday. What I did Sunday nightr was go down to the water and watch the Vision leave. at night with all teh lights it was really quite a view.

We've opted to stay in San Pedro before our cruise in March. Our flight won't arrive in LAX until around 9PM (if we're lucky!). Any thoughts on the best (but not necessarily the cheapest) and most direct way to get to our hotel from the airport?

We like town car service from LAX to our home, which is about 15 minutes from the pier. We use Sky Limo (800) 359-1800 or you could try Execu-car (800) 413-4020. I think it would run less than $100 - we call after we retrieve our luggage and they're there within 10 minutes. Then you don't have to worry about the meter running - they just take you either on the freeway (which SHOULD be ok at that hour but there are no guarantees) or surface streets.

We like town car service from LAX to our home, which is about 15 minutes from the pier. We use Sky Limo (800) 359-1800 or you could try Execu-car (800) 413-4020. I think it would run less than $100 - we call after we retrieve our luggage and they're there within 10 minutes. Then you don't have to worry about the meter running - they just take you either on the freeway (which SHOULD be ok at that hour but there are no guarantees) or surface streets.

Thanks, Jean. I'll give those two a call when we get closer!

On our last cruise on the Monarch last dec we stayed at the Cwown plaza. the monarch leaves on Monday. What I did Sunday nightr was go down to the water and watch the Vision leave. at night with all teh lights it was really quite a view.

We're booked at the Crowne Plaza for 3/1/08 with a RT LA to Hawaii on Princess on 3/2/08. This year we stayed that the Holiday Inn San Pedro, and it was nice (they had us picked up at the airport, took us to the cruise terminal and then arranged for our pick up and transportation back to LAX on our return.)

The Crowne Plaza will be doing the same, but it's closer to the cruise terminal and walking distance to the harbor shops, etc.

Archived