Arriving at OAK for cruise?

hybrn8

Our options for travelling to SF to get on a cruise ship are flying into Oakland or SFO the night before the cruise. We are leaning toward Oakland but need some practical advise - is there a shuttle from the airport to downtown SF hotels? If not, is there an area near Oakland airport where we can comfortably spend the night before catching a cab to the pier the next day? Looking for hotel where there are some options for dinner within walking distance or which has ready/easy access to BART for a quick trip into the city. Many thanks.

there are shuttles that can take you to SF. its about a 30 min ride over the bay bridge from oakland with no traffic

try bayporter express

or super shuttle

theres also usually shuttles there waiting ..

but i would call ahead to check pricing ,

if you take bart, the closest bart stop by the pier 35 is about a 6-8 block walk and its hard with luggage,, i would go for a shuttle , or maybe even a limo might be the same price

check out SFgate.com

as far as hotels , theres a few by the airport in oakland,

La Quinta Inn Oakland Airport/Coliseum

Hilton Oakland Airport

the rest of them are more in the downtown oakland area and jack london square, i wouldnt personally stay there.. you know , its oakland..

either stay in the ones above, they are right at the airport. or go over to the city ...

any more info let me know

take care

Melissa

might want to use it to go into city for dinner. Flight arrives about 5PM and I don't really foresee doing anything too ambitious after a long travel day. I have tried to get info on the shuttles online but didn't get anywhere so guess best bet is to call them direct. Path of least resistance is my motto when vacation is imminent! Will check the Hilton. Thanxxxxxxxxx.........

If I had a choice and were cruising out of SF, I would fly into SFO. It will be easier and faster to get to the place where your ship sails from. (BART now goes directly from SFO into the City.) There is so much more to see or do in SF than OAK. The only reason I would consider OAK would be if the plane ticket was MUCH cheaper.

Okay I've read all these posts and here is my perspective. I've worked in downtown Oakland for the past 7 years. I have good friends who have lived in downtown Oakland for even longer. It is NOT the horrible, scary place people remember from the 60's and 70's.

OAK is my airport of choice. Ususally it costs less to fly in/out. Parking is readily available and affordable. Lots of shuttles available...even to the closest BART station. And because it is a smaller airport, you don't get lost, security lines move quicker and it's a snap to get your bags. Additionally geographically OAK flights don't experience weather delays because of fog like at SFO.

The two hotels listed above are fine and the Hilton offers a free shuttle. Downtown Oakland and the Jack London Square area have some very nice hotels with free shuttles. I encourage you to explore your options. Downtown Oakland has gone through a rennaissance the past dozen year and now feature world class restaurants and entertainment. Jack London Square is one of my favorite places to hang out after hours: between restaurants, bars and night clubs, terrific live music is not hard to find.

If you are traveling on a budget, I encourage you to explore the option of Oakland.

You may fly into SFO or Oak but either way I'd suggest considering staying overnight somewhere near the SF Pier where the ship will lewave from (possibly the sheraton at fisherman's Wharf). That area is central, very close to mass transit (BART or Bus, trolley), lots of places to walk to & restaurants. It seems your other choices would be hotels near the airports, whether it is near Oakland or SFO and trust me, neither of those locations can hold a candle to being in SF near Fisherman's Wharf. Now, don't get me wrong, Oakland is a wonderful place, BUT, it ain't SF. And just to show my heart & wallet is in the right place, GO CAL BEARS (BERKELEY).

Our options for travelling to SF to get on a cruise ship are flying into Oakland or SFO the night before the cruise. We are leaning toward Oakland but need some practical advise - is there a shuttle from the airport to downtown SF hotels? If not, is there an area near Oakland airport where we can comfortably spend the night before catching a cab to the pier the next day? Looking for hotel where there are some options for dinner within walking distance or which has ready/easy access to BART for a quick trip into the city. Many thanks.

Okay...my take...

First, my company is HQ'd in Downtown Oakland...I fly in and out of Oakland all the time...I'm heading up there again in two weeks and staying at the Marriott Downtown...Why? Because I have to for business...otherwise, no way I'd stay there...Even when on business in Oakland, I prefer to stay at Jack London Square (Waterfront Plaza)...There are restaurant choices and shopping right there and it's more pleasant than downtown...

BUT...judging from your post, I'd fly into SFO and stay near Fishermans Wharf...Here's why: It sounds like you want to check in and then head over to The City for dinner/nightlife...In my book, it's not worth staying near Oakland Airport and trying to do that and come back and then head back into The City the next day...I don't buy that the trip is only 30 minutes (actually, it is--if you have a car and you know where you are going)...If you need to take a taxi or a bus to the BART and the BART into The City and a taxi to wherever you're going in the City...and then do the reverse to get all the way back to the Oakland Airport area, forget it...You don't have the time or the strength...

If you fly into SFO and take the BART into The City (and taxi to your hotel), you can check in, go wander out into North Beach or Chinatown or the Wharf, eat, shop, explore...return to your hotel at your leisure, get a good night's sleep and be easily to the ship in the morning...

OAK made it to top of list because SW flies non-stop from our home airport. Flight arrives 6PM. If it gets there on time (HAHAHA) and we get our luggage reasonably soon, it'll be nearly 7 before we're on hotel shuttle. Seems that a shuttle to the Hilton, dinner at the Hilton, and a cab to the port in the AM would be path of least resistance. Humping luggage is never fun and would not consider doing it on public transport - heck, we'll be spending thousands on a cruise so why not take taxis even if they cost $30? Going into SF for dinner is just a thought but not set in stone as we've been to SF several times.

My view: I agree with polodad above. It is preferable to stay in SF and take the shuttle from OAK Airport to SF Hotel (near Fisherman's Wharf). If there is a traffic jam on the bridge in the AM, your cab bill will sky rocket while the cab is caught in the traffic if you decide to stay overnight in Oakland. Without traffic jam, cab from Oakland Hilton to Pier will more like $50 with tip./Sultan

OAK made it to top of list because SW flies non-stop from our home airport. Flight arrives 6PM. If it gets there on time (HAHAHA) and we get our luggage reasonably soon, it'll be nearly 7 before we're on hotel shuttle. Seems that a shuttle to the Hilton, dinner at the Hilton, and a cab to the port in the AM would be path of least resistance. Humping luggage is never fun and would not consider doing it on public transport - heck, we'll be spending thousands on a cruise so why not take taxis even if they cost $30? Going into SF for dinner is just a thought but not set in stone as we've been to SF several times.

Wow, as you can see either is good. Personally, I'd fly into Oakland. For a quick trip it is simple, easy to navigate, and is often less expensive to fly into, and stay for that matter. I have stayed at the Oakland Hilton when I have had an early flight out, but I would stay in Jack London square if you wanted to enjoy sights and ambiance. The lights on the bay would be lovely, you could have dinner there, and heading over the bay bridge to the pier wouldn't be bad...just a little spendy. It is easy to arrange transportation. Call the hotel or look online. However, there is something magical about San Francisco. There are so many places to choose from and you wouldn't have to worry about traffic if you stay in the city.

so many good and worthwhile ideas. SWest doesn't fly non-stop to SFO from our city. It does fly non-stop to OAK. Quicker and less chance for bags being left behind. Their schedule may change and, if so, will rethink decision to stay near OAK. Thanks again............

Why not fly into Oak and then shuttle to a hotel in San Francisco. The extra hour or so to get into the city is worth having so many more things to do and so many great restaurants to choose from.

Just because you are flying into Oakland does not mean you have to stay there. I too prefer nonstop flights. Those connectors can make a short trip into a very long one.

Even as a loyal Oakland resident, I'd tend to agree with those who have argued that your best plan would be to fly into OAK - the nonstop route is much less likely to end up with lost luggage, and OAK is a nice user-friendly airport - but then go right into SF for your dinner and overnight stay. Why? Because you're much better off doing the trek across the Bay in the evening, when you're not pressed for time, than trying to fight rush hour traffic to get into SF in the morning before you board. I think the morning of your cruise you will be glad to wake up with no bridge between you and your ship!

If you want to save money and are travelling reasonably light, you can take the AirBART shuttle from OAK to BART and BART into SF, then cab to your hotel (or stay at one of the hotels that's walkable from a BART station - there are many). Otherwise, take a shuttle directly from OAK to SF. Enjoy your trip!

Archived