Cheap one night stay in San Diego?

Unca Pete

I'm looking for a clean, decent place for an overnight stay at the end of a cruise. A place that offers free shuttle to the airport in the morning would be a plus, etc. Priceline is a bit too confusing for a 2 or 2.5 star hotel in SD, so I may just book direct if I can find a place that is recommended.

Pete

Uncle Pete,

I would second what "splinter" said. If you call them directly - not at the 800 number, you will save a little money. It is in a great location - many restaurants nearby. They do NOT have a shuttle - but the cab ride from the cruise terminal to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport would be under $10. All the rooms only have one queen bed.

Tom

we stayed at super 8 in san diego downtown, by the lil italy area. it was ok,, it was like 88/per night, with a shuttle. i think weekdays its cheaper, we stayed the day before easter

they were remodeling when we were there, its nice though you can see the ships come in , the tops of the ships anyway..

and theres a nice restruant near by called the mona lisa, good italian food,

Some of those hotels don't vacancies on my dates. We're coming back on Nov. 4 for one night.. That seems to be a bad weekend, must be a convention in town?!?!

We have a resort for three days before we go out, but for the return we are staying for one night to avoid a "red eye" back to New England! How is the La Jolla area if we can't find a room in the downtown area?

Pete

Did you try La Pensione? I can't imagine conventioneers staying there. La Jolla is going to be EXPENSIVE. There is nothing cheap there, and a cab from there would be at least $25-30 to the airport. Try Mission Valley instead, or at worst, Kearny Mesa or Clairmont. There are also some inexpensive motels in the Loma Portal/Point Loma area that are not far from the airport.

Using http://www.sandiegohotels.com I found the following for 11/4/07 for less than $100:

Good Nite Inn San Diego Seaworld - Sports Arena

Vagabond Inn Hotel Circle

Extended StayAmerica San Diego Hotel Circle

Super 8 San Diego Airport Seaworld Area

Homestead Studio Suites San Diego Mission Valley

Days Inn and Suites Sea World Airport

Comfort Inn At the Harbor

Ramada Limited San Diego Airport

Super 8 San Diego Mission Valley

Quality Inn Airport Sea World

for less than $120, there are the following:

Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel

Vagabond Inn Point Loma

Days Inn Mission Bay

It may not technically be in Old Town, but it's a short walk to Old Town and the trolley. I've talked to people who have stayed there, it is a very clean and economical place to stay. And it has gotten great reviews over and over on Trip Advisor.

Splinter, you don't seem to think much of the place, have you stayed there? Or you just don't like the area?

I am sure it is fine if all you want is a place to sleep. No I have not stayed there (why would I when I live in San Diego??). I drive by there often though. It is not an area that I would consider a nice area, other than the ability to walk several blocks to Old Town and the Trolley station. If all you care about is cheap, I am sure it is fine. I know that our city has a lot nicer areas with inexpensive accomodations.

Thanks for your reply, Splinter. I think it will do just fine. Inexpensive and very clean, just what we were looking for. Others may want a place with a pool and restaurant, but we didn't need any of that.

Thanks again for all the help you give to everyone regarding their visits to San Diego.

We are booked on the Dawn Princess Dec. 9th and I have been looking for an inexpensive basic hotel for several days. The less expensive ones seem to all have not very good reviews of them and the hotel prices seem higher out there. Finally I booked the Best Western Severn Seas for $89. Its reviews were pretty good. It has a free airport shuttle and looks like is about 2 miles from the port so taxi should not be too bad.

David

Stay away from price line. we got a room at the holiday inn for 4 adults. They put us in a handcap room with one double bed. We complained..they rolled a twin rollaway bed in with no sheets or blankets. we called the desk and said we had a room for 4 adults quoted and wanted a decent room. We were told tough...we booked it through price line and we were OUT OF LUCK. SOOOOO if you want to be treated like trash go ahead and get a room with price line. Woody email is walcherw2aol.com

Archived