Overnight in Galveston

brobrosmom

My husband and I will be cruising on the Conquest in February 2008. We want to drive in on Saturday and spend the night. I have seen a few hotels and B&B's stating that they offer free cruise parking. My husband has a large truck with 4 doors and an 8' bed. In the past we have had a hard time fitting in parking garages and small parking spaces. Can anyone recommend a hotel or B&B where we won't have problems parking?

My husband and I will be cruising on the Conquest in February 2008. We want to drive in on Saturday and spend the night. I have seen a few hotels and B&B's stating that they offer free cruise parking. My husband has a large truck with 4 doors and an 8' bed. In the past we have had a hard time fitting in parking garages and small parking spaces. Can anyone recommend a hotel or B&B where we won't have problems parking?

Are you wanting your truck to be in covered parking, or does that matter? I stay at the Holiday Inn Resort (the exact name has escaped me, but i think it is holiday inn resort on the beach, or something like that):o, when I cruise, and they have a separate parking lot right off the hotel parking lot, to park while you are on your cruise. They have a shuttle that will take you to the ship and pick you up too.

Covered parking can sometimes be a problem with the truck because it is too high. We have had some problems trying to get into parking garages. Why he needs a truck that big is a mystery to me. But he is a man so....

We will definitely try the Holiday Inn. We are going to drive in from Houma, LA the Saturday before the cruise. Can you tell me a good place to eat? Something casual and maybe a place where the locals go. They usually know the best places.

Covered parking can sometimes be a problem with the truck because it is too high. We have had some problems trying to get into parking garages. Why he needs a truck that big is a mystery to me. But he is a man so....

We will definitely try the Holiday Inn. We are going to drive in from Houma, LA the Saturday before the cruise. Can you tell me a good place to eat? Something casual and maybe a place where the locals go. They usually know the best places.

I know there is a Joe's Crabshack by the pier, along with another seafood place i can't remember the name of. We mostly just eat at the restaurant at the hotel. I'm sure there are tons of good places to eat! :)

There's a place on seawall called Guido's. You'll know it because it has a GIANT crab on the roof. It has a old motel attatched to it as well. (It's been around forever and they've just never tore down the motel to build a fancy hotel but I always see people staying there) But what the locals know is that the smaller cafe attatched to the resturant and motel is called Casey's and it uses the exact same kitchen as Guidos. The menu is probably half the size but so are the prices. We eat there all the time when visiting my dad (who lives in Jamaica Beach). There is also a mexican resturant on the corner of seawall and 61st called La Tartuga that my friends really like and eat there ofton, but I've never been there. For a great burger drive down the island towards the west end of the island and you'll find Michaels Burgers. Expensive (ish) but yummy. Other than that there is a resturant on the pier down from the cruise dock it's a seafood place, again a bit pricey but when we ate there it was really worth it. Can't grab the name out of my brain at the moment but it's right next to the Elissa (tall masted ship docked there with a museum). I'll have to go find the name. Hope this helps.

ETA Found it it's Willie G's on the pier and I forgot about Landry's on Seawall (another old Galveston family like the Gaido's family) they actually own the Joe's crab shacks as well.. also check out the greek and italian places, there are tons of old family eateries on the island. My dad's taken me to a few but of course I don't know the names it's just the greek place or the pasta place. LOL

Go to Galveston.com and click on What to do and under cuisine there is a list of restuarants by type but they also have a "where the locals eat" section.

There are now two Holiday Inns on the Seawall...there's the old Holiday Inn next to the San Luis Resort, and there's the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort which is a little bit pricier and on the East end of the seawall just a couple of blocks from the Hotel Galvez. There's a thread on CC under "Gulf Coast Departures" and there is a lot of info there regarding restaurants in Galveston. Check it out! :)

Check out Galveston.Com or go to this site for Where the locals eat: http://www.galveston.com/cuisine/cuisine_submit.asp?chkLocals=Locals&txtSearch=&butSearch2.x=21&butSearch2.y=10 We have eaten at The Diner. It a cafe that's open for breakfast and Lunch only. Great place for breakfast.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach twice. Free parking, shuttle service and a large parking lot. Its on the seawall with the gulf right across the street. The off season rates are around $100 per night.

I'm going to be back down there in February and want to stay on the Seawall this time. Is this Holiday in the one with the nice dining room and a breakfast buffet? If so I definately want reservations there. Would you mind posting the address. In my memory there are 2 Holiday Inn's on seawall but only one of them has the shuttle and restaurant buffet

Thanks

I'm going to be back down there in February and want to stay on the Seawall this time. Is this Holiday in the one with the nice dining room and a breakfast buffet? If so I definately want reservations there. Would you mind posting the address. In my memory there are 2 Holiday Inn's on seawall but only one of them has the shuttle and restaurant buffet

Thanks

Holiday Inn on the Beach has the shuttle service. It is located next to the San Luis. I don't think that they have a dining room but there is a IHOP next door and only a couple of blocks from lots of good places to eat.

Archived