As You Wish Dining - What and How

hammybee

A someone who's worked in a restaurant, 2 2-tops take up more space than 1 4-top. Does this make sense? Yes, they could put in more tables for 2, but they would lose overall dining room capacity.

Roz

There were plenty of 2's, they just didn't want to reset them. To me that's not signature service. So when we went to the Lido instead on BBQ night, we didn't want to chew on BBQ in the dark outside so what did they do? They limited the Lido dinner service to crew only? What???? I'm the paying customer here.

That's not likely to work, as I believe the tables are bolted to the floor.

I know when the Rotterdam was slammed by a big wave, and the chairs toppled over (with people in them), the tables did not.

Good point--- forgot about that whole cruise ship in motion thing for a second!

They can't accommodate requests for traditional dining for cruises over a year out. To me that is a bigger problem then not having enough 2 tops.

I remember your venting thread about the confusion regarding your reservation for traditional dining and I was very happy to see that it turned out okay. I agree that the traditional dining reservation is also a very big problem, but as we are more often choosing AYWD (or other "open seating" plans on other lines) the table for two issue more personally affects us so that's why I was griping about it :)

If I'm not mistaken, even when there was only fixed seating at dinner, there were only a limited number of 2-tops, and not everyone who requested them got them. There were many unhappy couples, and there still are. :D

Roz

However, if there are consistently a fair amount of people who are unhappy because they have to share a table, perhaps it would be in HAL's better interests to reconsider their arrangements.

Dining on a mass market ship is like riding a bus. You never know for sure, if it will pass you bye cause it's already full or if it stops, what you will find once you board. Maybe you will get the seat of your choice or maybe not. It depends on how many others want what you want, when you want it.

You can increase the odds of getting what you want, when you want it, by booking a Deluxe Suite and paying for priority dining or you can wait in line with the rest of us and hope for the best.

If I'm not mistaken, even when there was only fixed seating at dinner, there were only a limited number of 2-tops, and not everyone who requested them got them. There were many unhappy couples, and there still are. :D

Roz

You are not mistaken. ;)

You are not mistaken. ;)

We always try for a 2 so we can get on to other activities that evening. Typically 2's will turn faster so in AWD they should be turning the 2's thus keeping more couples happy. We don't get to see much of each other due to work schedules so I don't want to spend my time with the DW trying to make small talk to strangers. Seems the M'd on the Westerdam is still stuck in the two seating mentality even in AWD.:cool:

Dining on a mass market ship is like riding a bus. You never know for sure, if it will pass you bye cause it's already full or if it stops, what you will find once you board. Maybe you will get the seat of your choice or maybe not. It depends on how many others want what you want, when you want it.

You can increase the odds of getting what you want, when you want it, by booking a Deluxe Suite and paying for priority dining or you can wait in line with the rest of us and hope for the best.

I understand the idea of hoping for the best, and I have in the past and usually came out okay with a few rare exceptions. I was only suggesting that if more people want option A over option B why not increase the ratio of available option A's?

Princess' traditional dining was frustrating for us because at least on the Caribbean Princess they had NO tables for two in traditional.

As for booking a deluxe suite and paying for priority dining... that's exactly what we've done for our Eurodam cruise. I don't think we'll have any issues unless I show up with a pineapple on my head and then oh! what will become of me? :D

Or you can book it and have it confirmed 15 months out and have HAL still not get it right until you phone several folks there until you find one that cares to follow through on the commitment they made.

Hi,

This may be our first experience with As You Wish Dining (we are waitlisted for traditional dining) and we have questions for those of you who have experience with AYWD.

We are going on the Eurodam in May for the Gems of the Baltic cruise. All but two of the ports have tours going off before 8:00AM and all get back about 4:00PM or later. We requested the late seating, but were wait-listed. Does that mean that we will be consigned to walk-up hell (I understand that people have had to wait up to 45 minutes for a table)? :(

We hope to eat at Tamarind one night and at Pinnacle one night, but don't want to do that every night. Our TA made the reservation for us the last time we cruised with HAL, but this time we are trying to work directly with HAL. Does anyone know how we can make reservations prior to sailing? Are Tamarind and/or Pinnacle heavily booked in your experience?

Buffets are not what we like to have at dinner. Is there any way to make an AYWD reservation other than between 8AM and 4PM? :confused:

Please forgive us if these questions have been answered before, but 283 postings of information is just too much to go through.

Thank you,

Steve and Avra

For fun_seeker:

There is absolutely no way to predict the dining situation onboard your cruise because there is no way to know what 2000 other passengers prefer and when.

You may or may not clear the wait list.

If you do not, open seating is available. Rarely has it been reported that anyone had to wait 45 minutes for a table. Far more common is the fear of waiting 45 minutes. Most reports are of a brief or no wait. Reservations for Open Seating seems to be a variable. You may or may not have alternatives to calling in every day. Be aware that those passengers sailing in Deluxe Suites pay for dining priority and other accommodations.

Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to reserve the Specialty Restaurants and reconfirm, once onboard.

For fun_seeker:

There is absolutely no way to predict the dining situation onboard your cruise because there is no way to know what 2000 other passengers prefer and when.

You may or may not clear the wait list.

If you do not, open seating is available. Rarely has it been reported that anyone had to wait 45 minutes for a table. Far more common is the fear of waiting 45 minutes. Most reports are of a brief or no wait. Reservations for Open Seating seems to be a variable. You may or may not have alternatives to calling in every day. Be aware that those passengers sailing in Deluxe Suites pay for dining priority and other accommodations.

Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to reserve the Specialty Restaurants and reconfirm, once onboard.

For hammybee,

Thank you for your prompt reply. We are glad to hear that long waits are not typical.

It makes sense that people willing to pay more, get what they pay for. What doesn't make sense is that on some ships some passengers appear to get to reserve the server, time and table for AYWD without having paid for dining priority. As the OP, have you been able to discern a reason why some people get this special treatment or is it just a matter of requesting the server, time and table at the beginning of the cruise?

Steve and Avra

As the OP, have you been able to discern a reason why some people get this special treatment or is it just a matter of requesting the server, time and table at the beginning of the cruise? Steve and Avra

Like you, I am curious about the rhyme /reason.

I really do think many who operate outside of the norm are indeed sailing in Deluxe Suites and do not mention this to avpoid sounding pretentious or whatever. I also think it possible that some leave a gratuity on the first night and when /if possible, they are accommodated, thereafter. Funny how that works, eh?

I am personally fond of the concept of a courteous question, " would it be possible to...." to obtain the most honey, in return.

Lastly, don't give up on the waitlist or even the first cut. If you really prefer fixed seating and do not get it, you can always present yourself to the Dining Room Manager, after boarding and request a change, in the nicest manner, possible.

BTW, are you doing the 10 or 20 day intinerary?

Like you, I am curious about the rhyme /reason.

I really do think many who operate outside of the norm are indeed sailing in Deluxe Suites and do not mention this to avpoid sounding pretentious or whatever. I also think it possible that some leave a gratuity on the first night and when /if possible, they are accommodated, thereafter. Funny how that works, eh?

I am personally fond of the concept of a courteous question, " would it be possible to...." to obtain the most honey, in return.

Lastly, don't give up on the waitlist or even the first cut. If you really prefer fixed seating and do not get it, you can always present yourself to the Dining Room Manager, after boarding and request a change, in the nicest manner, possible.

BTW, are you doing the 10 or 20 day intinerary?

Hi hammybee,

Would it be possible ...? is always a good opening and we use it quite often.

I like that idea about the gratuity the first evening. If it works, we have no problem with it as we usually give our server and wine steward a gratuity over and above the standard when we get good service.

We have learned that the past DR experiences of cruisers tends to put a greater or lesser strain on the DRM. If a lot of people want traditional, do you think the DRM might adjust the ratio of traditional to AYWD tables?

When we were on Carnival, we found that the DR staff somehow knew how to put pairs of cruisers with similar interests together to make the traditional dinner a lot of fun for everyone. If HAL could learn their secret, there might not be quite as many requests for two tops or AYWD. Then again, forced AYWD sort of throws that possibility out the window or porthole as the case may be. We have been fortunate in the past on HAL in that we have had pleasant and interesting tablemates. We can only hope that will continue.

To answer your last question, we are doing the 10 day itinerary with an extra day in Copenhagen at each end for sightseeing.

Steve and Avra

Hi,

This may be our first experience with As You Wish Dining (we are waitlisted for traditional dining) and we have questions for those of you who have experience with AYWD.

We are going on the Eurodam in May for the Gems of the Baltic cruise. All but two of the ports have tours going off before 8:00AM and all get back about 4:00PM or later. We requested the late seating, but were wait-listed. Does that mean that we will be consigned to walk-up hell (I understand that people have had to wait up to 45 minutes for a table)? :(

We hope to eat at Tamarind one night and at Pinnacle one night, but don't want to do that every night. Our TA made the reservation for us the last time we cruised with HAL, but this time we are trying to work directly with HAL. Does anyone know how we can make reservations prior to sailing? Are Tamarind and/or Pinnacle heavily booked in your experience?

Buffets are not what we like to have at dinner. Is there any way to make an AYWD reservation other than between 8AM and 4PM? :confused:

Please forgive us if these questions have been answered before, but 283 postings of information is just too much to go through.

Thank you,

Steve and Avra

On the Westerdam a few weeks ago, we would have no problem in getting a table upon walk-up if we didn't mind being seated at a 6 or 8. There was often a pretty good line when the early show let out and everyone headed to the dining room but the line was gone within 20 minutes because the early eaters were leaving about that time anyway..

We want to have a table for 2 as my husband is hearing impaired and it is difficult for him to hear the conversations going on and feels left out. We have AYW dining, I think. Once we board would it be better to see if we can get a fixed time with a table for 2 or take our chances with the AYW dining?

When we were on Carnival, we found that the DR staff somehow knew how to put pairs of cruisers with similar interests together to make the traditional dinner a lot of fun for everyone. If HAL could learn their secret, there might not be quite as many requests for two tops or AYWD. Steve and Avra

Carnival tends to clump passengers from similar cabin grades together for dinner. They try to seat those with children with others, with children.

Given you have had pleasant experiences in the past, chances are, you are easy to get along with and will be just fine, no matter where you land.

The strength of open seating, especially when you share, is the opportunity to meet more people than you might otherwise.

You have a fabulous intinerary on your cruise and just about everything else will be subordinate to this. Copenhagen in May, is delicious.

We want to have a table for 2 as my husband is hearing impaired and it is difficult for him to hear the conversations going on and feels left out. We have AYW dining, I think. Once we board would it be better to see if we can get a fixed time with a table for 2 or take our chances with the AYW dining?

I'd probably contact my TA (or HAL-if you booked it yourself), and see if this can't be taken care of prior to your cruise. If HAL can't confirm a table for 2 at this point, then I'd talk with the Maitre d' once you're on the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Hammybee,

I'm just curious...why would clumping people together who are in similar cabin grades result in a better dining experience, as far as compatible tablemates go?

I'm going to test your theory this coming Monday when I leave from JAX on a Carnival cruise. I've been on 2 other Carnival cruises, but they were group cruises, so I was seated with others in my group.

Roz

Hammybee,

I'm just curious...why would clumping people together who are in similar cabin grades result in a better dining experience, as far as compatible tablemates go?

I'm going to test your theory this coming Monday when I leave from JAX on a Carnival cruise. I've been on 2 other Carnival cruises, but they were group cruises, so I was seated with others in my group.

Roz

I was clear as mud.

It's serendipity. Cruise lines knows nothing about passenger interests or social skills. When dining at larger tables, most people are indeed sailing in a range of similar cabin grades. One is not likely to find those in Suites dining with those sailing 4 to an inside cabin unless they have pre-arranged to do so.

I think those sailing with children and solo passengers are more likely to be seated with others with children or sailing solo, as the case may be, regardless of cabin grade.

I am looking forward to hearing how it goes on your cruise.

Hammybee,

My assigned seating dining experience on my last 2 HAL cruises:

Volendam, November, 2006 - me (solo cruiser in obstructed outside), older gentleman with his younger lady friend (SS), early 20s honeymooning couple (outside), and 3 middle-aged widowed and divorced girlfriends (outside). The 3 ladies traveling together were real pains in the backside and ran the waiter ragged. Everyone one else was fabulous and a joy to dine with.

Oosterdam, March, 2008 - me (solo in outside cabin), older widow lady (outside), two unmarried hetero couples, ages from 50s - 60s (both couples in suites). Table from hell :D . I was the only normal one in the bunch :rolleyes: . Caused me to choose AYWD for my next HAL cruise.

Roz

Oosterdam, March, 2008 - me (solo in outside cabin), older widow lady (outside), two unmarried hetero couples, ages from 50s - 60s (both couples in suites). Table from hell :D . I was the only normal one in the bunch :rolleyes: . Caused me to choose AYWD for my next HAL cruise.

Roz

I am also a solo cruiser and traditional early to me is very important. Prior to my last cruise it was a deal breaker if I can't get it. My cruise was a 26 day one and some of the people at my table were something else:eek:. I think I would be willing to try open but I would like to try it on a short cruise. I would enjoy hearing your feedback when you return Roz. Have a great cruise.

Lorekauf,

I enjoy the open seating at breakfast and lunch in the DR, so I think I'll like, or at least be able to adapt to, AYWD. Unfortunately, my next HAL cruise isn't until Dec. 2009.

Roz

Lorekauf,

I enjoy the open seating at breakfast and lunch in the DR, so I think I'll like, or at least be able to adapt to, AYWD. Unfortunately, my next HAL cruise isn't until Dec. 2009.

Roz

Oh that's right I was thinking that it was the cruise you are taking shortly. I've had some bad exeriences with the breakfast and lunch open seating and that's what turns me off. That said the last group I sat with in traditional turned me off. Thankfully I did escape dinner a few nights when I dined with my friends on the ship at the Pinnacle. Unfortunatly my friends had late dining and I just can't do that.

I understand the idea of hoping for the best, and I have in the past and usually came out okay with a few rare exceptions. I was only suggesting that if more people want option A over option B why not increase the ratio of available option A's?
Typically because the cost of doing so exceeds the benefit. In this specific case, using up more room in a (new) ship to account for a less efficient allocation of 2-tops and 4-tops is the cost, and the benefit would only be the amount of extra revenue a cruise line would get from making that one change. I suspect too few people actually place so much stock in dining room table size, to the extent that they're willing to pay an extra premium on their cruise fare to account for it. And those that are, are typically also interested in other superior amenities, and therefore are willing to pay for cruises on higher-graded cruise lines.

Lorekauf. It is certainly worth a try. After two bad experiences with traditional (though I admit before this all had gone well with traditional) we went with open. Would not go back. Our two bad experiences were somewhat different. One for the first time we had a dreadful couple on the table - the husband who rarely spoke to us but spent time snarling at wife and waiters. They also came to meals late so our table always last to be served. The second time on a table of 8 - two couples - not sure if they were together or not - did not get the sitting they wanted so did not come even once to the table but ate upstairs in the self service. A table for 8 occupied by 4 looks and feels a little sad over a 2 week cruise.

We thought with open we would avoid those risks and so it was. I know you can ask for a change of table but I always have this terrible feeling that if you do you will move somewhere already vacated by someone who had asked to be moved - if you see what I mean - and it might even be out of the frying pan into the fire.

Except for one night on open with HAL we went along the booking by phone in a morning. On only one occasion was the phone engaged - they seemed to have two phones operating. We had a super waiter the first night on one of the aft tables and liked it so much we always asked for that table and waiter whether we went early or late. The two other biggest bonuses however, were that we met so many more people and some you chose to meet up with again another night. We also found that if you made friends away from the dining room and they were on anytime dining you could easily share a table with them. This is of course impossible with traditional.

Give it a try.

Archived