As You Wish Dining - What and How

hammybee

We just finished a river cruise and of course it has only open seating. You just walk in and find a table to sit at. The tables were mostly set for four to six people. We sat with different people most nights and enjoyed it very much. Now we are booked on the Zaandam next April and have to take the open seating. I guess we won't be allowed to just walk in and sit where we want, but we are hoping that it will work out as good as our river cruise did. We are not looking to sit by ourselves, but to enjoy the company of other passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

Ruth has answered some of my questions but I do have a few more. We will be on the Prinsendam in November and first of all I am wondering if anyone has been on her lately and had anytime dining/open seating which is what we have chosen. If you have were there any problems regarding seating etc.?

Secondly, we prefer to eat around 7pm-7.30pm so from what I can gather from reading these posts, we need to phone the Dining Room or Maitre'D? each morning and request table. Whom do I actually phone?

My understanding is that if we don't do this, then we may not get a table until after 7.45pm. Again am I correct?

I have also read somewhere, that if we like our table and the time we are dining, that we can ask for the same each evening. Again is this correct?

Are there any other problems that we may encounter? Sorry for all the questions but we have only ever had traditional dining on HAL and when we booked in January, 2008 for this cruise, we were not offered Traditional only Anytime. We have had Anytime on both Oceania and Azamara and loved it so we are hoping that our experience on HAL will be equally as good or better

Jennie

Secondly, we prefer to eat around 7pm-7.30pm so from what I can gather from reading these posts, we need to phone the Dining Room or Maitre'D? each morning and request table. Whom do I actually phone?

My understanding is that if we don't do this, then we may not get a table until after 7.45pm. Again am I correct?

For those with open seating, reservations can only be made for certain dining 'windows'. Hopefully someone will be along with the time frames, but I think they are earlier and later than 7pm-7.30pm. We've seen other passengers being handed chain restaurant style pages and told to expect a wait of 45-min.

The daily program will have the phone number to call for the reservations. I've also seen a crew member at a podium in the Lido that will take dinner reservations (MDR/Pinnacle - and on those ships with them, also for Canaletto and Tamarind).

Good luck.

On our recent trip on Rotterdam the times were 5.45 pm, 6.15 pm, 7.45 pm and 8.15 pm. One difference to the previous year was that you could phone for a reservation any time before 4 pm rather than before 8 am in the morning.

To be honest except for the first two or three nights whilst we got a feel of it and on formal nights we did not even bother to book in advance as there was no problem getting in. We just turned up between 6.30 and 7.30 - usually the later half of that and went straight in. We did not have to queue and whilst I obviously did not see everyone going in pagers were not in evidence so if it happened at all it was rarely. If you chose to turn up I would say if it was in the 7 pm onwards range to go straight in you would probably need to be flexible. One night at nearly 7.30 pm we were told unfortunately they only had room on a table for 10 which we took. We however, are quite flexible and just went where they put us - be it on a 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10. We actually prefer 6 or 8 - largely because I have difficulty hearing on a 10, but variety is the spice of life. We were put on a 2 two or three times, but generally 6 to 8 which we asked for. Never on a 4 - presumably high demand for these. On a few occasions people were taken upstairs in the traditional area where they knew a whole table was vacant that night.

We had been on other cruiselines and had both open sitting and fixed. Twelve months or so ago when this came in I said we were really not bothered either way - could see advantages and disadvantages of both. No longer the case - we are now totally in favour of open sitting and the flexibility. It is fine having traditional if you are with friends, but if you are travelling just as a couple it is really great to be able to eat with friends you have made on the cruise (provided they are not traditional dining). Also we met some really lovely people on both our Rotterdam cruises and in many cases arranged other meals with them.

I have also read somewhere, that if we like our table and the time we are dining, that we can ask for the same each evening. Again is this correct?

Are there any other problems that we may encounter? Sorry for all the questions but we have only ever had traditional dining on HAL and when we booked in January, 2008 for this cruise, we were not offered Traditional only Anytime. We have had Anytime on both Oceania and Azamara and loved it so we are hoping that our experience on HAL will be equally as good or betterJennie

It all depends on how many other passengers want, what you want, when you want it. Generally speaking, reservations are not accepted for prime time dining. This seems to vary ship to ship, and intinerary to intinerary. You can always just show and see how it goes.

You can ask for the same table/time. Again, it depends on how many others want it, so being flexible helps. Being willing to share a table with others as opposed to a two top increases your chances of getting your preferred time.

If you happen to be sailing in a Deluxe Suite, you receive priority dining so if there is a way they can accommodate you, they will.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I am still not clear on what we are supposed to do but I daresay after a couple of days on board, we will know exactly how to go about organizinag a table for dinner at the time we want.

Jennie

Our cruise in Oct will be our first experience with 'as you wish' but it seems to fit our needs. 5:45 is too early and 8:15 is too late. We're old but not that old, if you know what I mean. I hope it works out. When we were younger, the late seating was a must, but as we've gotten older, our systems balk if we eat too late. But, we were always, it seemed 'waitlisted' for our perferred time. We never had a problem getting it changed once we were on board. We used to book deluxe suites and they'd usually change the times before we cruised, but when we started booking the smaller suites, that perk went away. But, like I said, we always in the end, got what we wanted.

How does open dining work the first night you are on the ship as you can't call in the morning for a reservation?

There's no need to make a reservation. The one time I did I ended up standing in line. All other times (2 cruises) I was seated immediately when I showed up between 6:30 and 7:30.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

There's no need to make a reservation. The one time I did I ended up standing in line. All other times (2 cruises) I was seated immediately when I showed up between 6:30 and 7:30.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

YES,YES,YES We always walked up and were seated quickly, unless there was a crowd because the show just let out, when we had a buzzer thing and were seated within 10 minutes, usually. A lot less time than trying to get seated at the Olive Garden, for ex! We always said we wanted to sit by others. If you want to sit alone, there may be a wait.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in charge of a reunion cruise with 10 couples. We are at the stage of deciding the best option for dining. Some feel 5:45 is too early to eat, while others do not want to eat late at the second seating.

Would open dining proof to be an issue with this size a group each night?:eek:

I am in charge of a reunion cruise with 10 couples. We are at the stage of deciding the best option for dining. Some feel 5:45 is too early to eat, while others do not want to eat late at the second seating.

Would open dining proof to be an issue with this size a group each night?:eek:

Oh the pains of being in charge, no matter what you do it will be wrong!:p

I think it would be hard to get two tables of ten on a walk in basis and the reservation times for AYWD are seem pretty comparable to fixed dining.

How about dividing the group in half- 5 couples for early and the rest at late? The couples can meet at one of the lounges by the Dining Room between the two times for pre/after dinner drinks?

I've read that you can't pre-reserve for the 'middle' or the evening, does anyone have the details on that.

We usually like to eat about 7.30-7.45pm - will we be able to make a reservation for that time, or only for later?

• 3 weeks later...

We've been on both Princess and NCL Open Seating, as well as HAL. I don't think any open seating can match the traditional elegance of the reserved seating. That being said, I think HAL does it best. We are going on HAL next March and then again in June. We chose open seating for both cruises. For us, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Only ever been on HAL Ryndam and had open seating on both trips... found it to be great! Very smooth and convenient, as we could look at the next days activities or port schedule and decide what dining time worked for us. Can't say enough about the benefits of open seating! Wouldn't really want to have it any other way JMO.

I do not understand the purpose of making reservations if you have AYW dining. For hubby and me, the whole purpose of AYW dining is that we do not have to be scheduled. If we're enjoying a view, we can stay without checking the time. Ditto for drinks in the bar. Why reservations?

We have done the open dining on both NCL and Oceania. We loved it on Oceania because they automatically seat you with others unless you ask for a table for two. The only thing we didn't like about NCL was that we often had a hard time getting a shared table. The hostess on two of our cruises never asked people if they wanted to share, just seated them at tables for 2 if they were a couple. When we'd request to share a table we were often told that larger tables were for groups or that people didn't want to share. Well, duh, they weren't asked.

I would think that AYW dining means that when we're ready to eat, we go to the dining room and share a table with others who show up at the same time. I'm surprised to read about making reservations. To me, that destroys the whole purpose of AYW.

I'm relieved to read some of the newer posts that say if we don't show up when the show just let out, and if we're willing to share a table (which is what we prefer), than just walking up shouldn't be a problem.

Is this correct, that we can just walk up, say we'll share a table, and then we'll just have a few minutes (less than 10) to wait? :cool:

I understand your puzzlement regarding reservations. Please note: reservations are NOT required. Some folks want to make them to reduce waiting times. These folks still enjoy the variable dinner time (they decide early, late etc) rather than a fixed time for seating. Reservations, if made, can be different times each and every night of the cruise.

We were on HAL in December. We're a party of 3 and almost always were seated with a group, unless we requested a small table. Most often the small table was not available.

For hubby and me, the whole purpose of AYW dining is that we do not have to be scheduled.

---

I would think that AYW dining means that when we're ready to eat, we go to the dining room and share a table with others who show up at the same time. I'm surprised to read about making reservations. To me, that destroys the whole purpose of AYW.

It appears that you seem to think that you are talking about the open seating portion of AYW Dining. AYWD encompasses both fixed and open seating - as well as ALL other dining options on the HAL ships. Do you feel that those with fixed seating aren't dining as they wish?

If you don't want reservations for dinner - don't make them. No one is forcing you to make reservations. Feel free to show up for open seating whenever YOU wish during the hours the dining room is open. You may be seated right away or you may be given a chain restaurant style pager.

I'm relieved to read some of the newer posts that say if we don't show up when the show just let out, and if we're willing to share a table (which is what we prefer), than just walking up shouldn't be a problem.

Is this correct, that we can just walk up, say we'll share a table, and then we'll just have a few minutes (less than 10) to wait? :cool:

Piece of cake!;) Oh, just remember to say "Open seating!" There was already a whole long discussion on this thread. If you read through this thread again, you'll see that "AYWD" is very often used by posters in reference to Open Seating. Lots of people get the terms mixed up. I often forget, too.:o Even the OP's first post from HAL - very helpful!:) - has the last 2 FAQ use the term AYWD when it appears that "Open Seating" is meant. Is it any wonder it gets confusing?!:confused: But hey, we all know what you mean!

BTW, here it is:

Once implemented, will AYWD always be available?

Generally speaking, AYWD will be available, upon implementation. However, from time to time, Holland America may need to revert to the former traditional four seating dining to accommodate some voyages that have very large groups.

How will AYWD work on the Prinsendam?

Because the Prinsendam does not have two levels, she will have a section set aside for the AYW dining. The rest of the dining room will be for confirmed dining.

I hope you won't mind answering this question again, as I'm a little daunted by the prospect of reading 19 pages on this topic: Is open seating available on all HAL ships, or just some of them? Thanks in advance for your help!

All the ships have open seating, as well as fixed, Pinnacle, room service, and Lido. Some ships also have the Tamarind and Canaletto.

On the Grand Cruises, and World Cruise open seating may not be available.

Archived