Viking Christmas Markets

KeyOfSea

We're booked for Vienna to Nurnberg in 2008. We have one night on the ship in Nurnberg at the end. We're trying to decide whether to stay an extra night there before moving on to Munich. I spent a month there about 30 years ago and want to see the changes and show my DH around. Since we'll be visiting steamboats in Munich, she doesn't get to "vote". :D Does anyone else have an idea of how much free time we'll have that last day before departure?

Trish,

O.k., that´s not fair :D . So I´m not voting. Just some thoughts: The cruise ship landing is on the Canal which is quite a way from downtown Nuremberg. There´s no way of walking. You need a taxi to do something on your own (in case there´s some free time next to the shore tours).

As I don´t know what you want to see / show DH and what the shore tours already include I can´t vote for anything anyway. But usually I´d say one day should be enough for Nuremberg.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Christmas markets last year..Viking Spirit..starting in Nuremberg and went to Munich on the "bullet train" and spent the day with "steamboats"..it was wonderful...she is a wonderful CC member who does so much for everyone on these threads...not to mention being a great "tour guide"! We started in Nuremberg..so arrived there..went to Munich for the day..and had another day in the city..stayed just a few blocks from the Christmas market and the city center so could walk there..took a tour of the city..as a "baby boomer" learned a lot about WWII from that...and yes..you do need a taxi to the "boat"/"ship"..as a city with what I would consider " a past"..there was much to learn and see there..depending on your interest a day could work..or two..LuAnn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since my cruise was the reverse order of yours I am not so certain what you can expect for time in Nuremberg, but we saw a good bit on the included tour. I actually had 2 nights in Nuremberg before boarding, and used one day to take the train to Bamberg which is within an hour by train. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Sight, and I really enjoyed doing that. I guess I would always want to err on the side of having more rather than less time in a given place. I hope this helps.

Tallassie

PS. The cruise was great and the food on board was excellent!

I just returned from the Viking Spirit Christmas Markets Cruise on Monday. We sailed Vienna to Nuremburg, and the last night of the cruise, the ship spent the night in Nuremburg. We arrived on Sat. late morning, and the dock is quite a distance from the center of town. We had a half-day bus tour of the city, including some WWII sites, and then some free time at the very crowded Christmas Market. I didn't get the impression that there was a whole lot more to see in Nuremburg if we had stayed longer. The post-cruise trip that Viking River Cruises offered was a visit to Prague.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have- we had a great time BTW, and the service and ship were excellent.

Betsey

Betsey,

Thanks so much for your input! :D I would love to hear more about your trip. What were the excursions like? How was the weather? And much more.

If you want, you can just email me. thughes at worldvision dot org

Thanks again!!

Archived