Virgin Cruiser here!!!

CandyCruiser1106

Hello All,

I'm going on a cruise Jan. 2008, and this will be my very first cruise. I read articles here on Cruise Critic about first time cruisers. But I still have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. Warning, this may be dumb questions to some of you, and I apologize ahead of time:o .

First off, I understand that you can buy a drink card for $30.00. Does that cover JUST sodas? I’ve read that some bring their own 12-pack sodas ($2.50 as oppose to $30.00), if so, can you bring canned sodas, or do they have to be bottled sodas? I was wondering if the canned sodas will set alarms off at the customs (you were forewarned of these dumb questions!!) :confused:

I know that there is one formal night, but what do people wear on the other evenings at the dining room? Is it casual (blue jeans or shorts), or smart casual (slacks/skirts)?

Is it true that the lower deck your cabin is, the better it is (as far as the movement or steadiness of the ship)? I hope I don't get seasick! Can someone tell me where the best cabin location is (deck, that is)?

I know that the more people go, the merrier it is? If so, will my husband and I have fun anyway if it’s just the two of us? I’m outgoing, but he’s not. I'm very excited about this cruise, but yet somewhat nervous, not sure why. Maybe because this trip is to get away from a sad situation that happened a year ago. Nevertheless, should I be nervous?

Thanks everyone for all your responses!

Some of the questions I will leave to the Carnival experts....as far as going, just the two of you, yes you will have fun. There is always something going on....you can choose to participate or not. You will meet people who may become friends for life, we tend to. It amazing the togetherness you can find among strangers on vacation.

My tips for a first timer...Relax....and just go with the flow. Enjoy it, it is a vacation. Enjoy your sea days, because port days are usually somewhat busy. Enjoy each other and HAVE FUN!!!!! If you go with set expectations, having never cruised, you may miss out on all there is to see and do.

As far as dining goes, no shorts at dinner....no blue jeans...but what I am gathering for Carnival (I typically cruise NCL) is resort casual, capris, slacks, khakis, polos, etc...

Hello All,

I'm going on a cruise Jan. 2008, and this will be my very first cruise. I read articles here on Cruise Critic about first time cruisers. But I still have a few questions that I hope you can help me with. Warning, this may be dumb questions to some of you, and I apologize ahead of time:o .

First off, I understand that you can buy a drink card for $30.00. Does that cover JUST sodas? I’ve read that some bring their own 12-pack sodas ($2.50 as oppose to $30.00), if so, can you bring canned sodas, or do they have to be bottled sodas? I was wondering if the canned sodas will set alarms off at the customs (you were forewarned of these dumb questions!!) :confused:

I know that there is one formal night, but what do people wear on the other evenings at the dining room? Is it casual (blue jeans or shorts), or smart casual (slacks/skirts)?

Is it true that the lower deck your cabin is, the better it is (as far as the movement or steadiness of the ship)? I hope I don't get seasick! Can someone tell me where the best cabin location is (deck, that is)?

I know that the more people go, the merrier it is? If so, will my husband and I have fun anyway if it’s just the two of us? I’m outgoing, but he’s not. I'm very excited about this cruise, but yet somewhat nervous, not sure why. Maybe because this trip is to get away from a sad situation that happened a year ago. Nevertheless, should I be nervous?

Hi, Welcome to Cruise critic. :D

You are going to love your cruise. I can answer some of your questions.

The drink card just covers sodas, not alcohol.

For the non-formal nights I wore nice capris and pants suits. No shorts in the dining room for dinner but shorts are ok for breakfast and lunch.

Yes you will feel less movement on a lower deck midship then on a top deck in the foreward or aft section. But if the seas are very rough, you will still feel it lower also, just not as much. I like to be midship. We had a foreward cabin last year and I didn't like it as much when we had a rough day. This last cruise we were midship and I definitely didn't feel as much movement.

You will have a great time. Don't be nervous. Cruises are the best. I can't wait for my next one. Don't know when it will be yet, but I know I will be taking plenty more. :D

Have fun and again welcome. :)

Welcome.

The drink card is just for sodas. Those brining onboard their own sodas usually post that it's best to put the sodas in with your checked luggage instead of with what you carry-on board, but I've read about people doing it both ways. It shouldn't make a differnce if you bring cans or bottles.

Shorts are not permitted in the dining room. Jeans are not against Carnival's rules but plenty of people around here think they should be. You'll see lots of capri's, khakis, skirts... Here's the quote from Carnival's website:

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

You will feel less movement if your cabin is located in the middle of the ship on one of the lower decks, but with the larger ships, you usually don't feel much movement no matter where you are. If you're prone to motion sickness, you may want to think about taking a Bonine or Dramamine each night as a preventative measure.

My husband and I are both quieter, not especially outgoing people. We've cruised just the two of us and with friends and had an equally wonderful time each way.

I'm sure you and your DH will have a great cruise.

Hello All,

I can answer a few of your questions.

You are going to absolutely love cruising, so don't worry about anything.

The $30 is for a soda card. The price varies based on the length of the cruise and it is only good for soda. I have never brought any soda on board so I can't answer about cans or bottles.

There are 2 formal nights on 7 day cruises and longer. On the other nights smart casual is the dress code. Jeans and shorts are not allowed in the dining room for dinner, but are okay for breakfast and lunch. The dining room has much better food than the buffet by the pool, so I suggest you at least eat dinner in the dining room.

I have heard that cabins in the middle of the ship are best for not getting much motion. I usually stay in a balcony cabin on one of the higher decks so I can't really say it is so from my own experience.

Your husband and you will have fun regardless of how many people you're with. Just do the things that you like to do. Read the "Capers" each night and chose the activities that you like. If you want to just sit by the pool, that's okay too. Your vacation is what you make it.

As I said earlier, don't worry and enjoy yourself.

It seems as though you've gotten your question pretty thoroughly answered so I just thought I'd offer a welcome and hope you'll stick around.

Folks here are ready to help and, for the most part, very friendly and knowledgeable.

Welcome aboard and enjoy yourself!

Mach

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRUISING IS VERY VERY ADDICTIVE!

You and your DH are going to love it. As soon as you get home, you'll be trying to figure out how to afford the next cruise (sell the kids, house, cars, :eek: whatever it takes:D ) Have a Great Time:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic - You will enjoy cruising and will become addicted like so many of us :D

When are you cruising in January, we are booked on the Triumph. You could go over to the roll call area and find others who are traveling when you are and they can help with questions specific to your cruise and also have the chance to meet other folks.

On a 7 night cruise you will have 2 formal nights, formal is different for everyone, some folks you will see in gowns and tuxes others will have a dress shirt with a tie or just a simple dress. Jeans are permitted in the dining room during dinners (but that is a HOT topic on these boards).

You will enjoy the entertainment on the ship and the meals will definately have you amazed.

The lower/center of the ship the less movement however, the newer ships travel a lot better and we do not notice any movement. If you fear getting seasick bring some ginger to take just in case. There is also pleanty of shops of the ship that will carry medicine for seasicksness if it should happen.

Have a great cruise and the more you read these boards the more educated you will be :)

Hello All,

Just a note that the soda card is a per day charge not 30 per card for your trip. Not sure how long your cruise is so not sure how much yours will be...I think it's about 5.50 per day plus tax. If you drink more than 3 or 4 soda's a day the card may be worth it vs buying them individually but will be more expensive than bringing on your own. Carnival says you can bring on a reasonable amount so you can carry them or check them - up to you. Carnival only has coke products so if you like Pepsi that is also something to consider.

Have an awesome cruise - you and your DH will have a ball!

.....are seriously thinking about joining CA. No, not Computer Associates (Sanjay Kumar, rot in jail), but Cruise-a-holics Anonymous. He is so addicted, that for his paper in school last week, he wrote about becoming a Cruise Director. I'm all for it since I'll probably get benefits through him. :)

We are on a Mission from God (no religious beliefs here, just a quote from The Blues Brothers) to see how fast we can become Platinum! I just booked B2B next year for us, so we're that much closer to the Promised Land!

:D

Welcome to Cruise Critic - You will enjoy cruising and will become addicted like so many of us :D

When are you cruising in January, we are booked on the Triumph. You could go over to the roll call area and find others who are traveling when you are and they can help with questions specific to your cruise and also have the chance to meet other folks.

On a 7 night cruise you will have 2 formal nights, formal is different for everyone, some folks you will see in gowns and tuxes others will have a dress shirt with a tie or just a simple dress. Jeans are permitted in the dining room during dinners (but that is a HOT topic on these boards).

You will enjoy the entertainment on the ship and the meals will definately have you amazed.

The lower/center of the ship the less movement however, the newer ships travel a lot better and we do not notice any movement. If you fear getting seasick bring some ginger to take just in case. There is also pleanty of shops of the ship that will carry medicine for seasicksness if it should happen.

Have a great cruise and the more you read these boards the more educated you will be :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. We are cruising Jan 3 from New Orleans; it’s a 4-day cruise. What is “roll call area”? :o

That the "soda card", a.k.a., "Fountain Fun Card" is good for all soft drinks available at the bar. Bloody Mary mixers (non-alcoholic), various juices, etc. Per my own experience and 3 sets of Carnival Capers, "Funship Fountain Card, unlimited soft drinks and juices for the entire cruise...".

Just FYI. :)

A very few things have the potential to turn into very hot topics around here, with regards to people's strong opinions including, but not limited to, the following subjects. I might give you some friendly advice to do a quick search in this forum about these topics before venturing to ask any questions...

1.) denim/jeans in the dining room

2.) swim diapers (on kids) in the pools

3.) chair hogs

4.) which category of cabin to choose

5.) PVP vs. TA

6.) whether or not to pull kids out of school for vacation

7.) tipping the staff

8.) smoking on the ship

9.) passports (people putting off getting them)

10.) travel insurance

Feel free to ask whatever you want...but consider yourself forewarned for what may or may not appear on the thread afterwards. :D

A very few things have the potential to turn into very hot topics around here, with regards to people's strong opinions including, but not limited to, the following subjects. I might give you some friendly advice to do a quick search in this forum about these topics before venturing to ask any questions...

1.) denim/jeans in the dining room

2.) swim diapers (on kids) in the pools

3.) chair hogs

4.) which category of cabin to choose

5.) PVP vs. TA

6.) whether or not to pull kids out of school for vacation

7.) tipping the staff

8.) smoking on the ship

9.) passports (people putting off getting them)

10.) travel insurance

Feel free to ask whatever you want...but consider yourself forewarned for what may or may not appear on the thread afterwards. :D[/quote

I promise not to wear diapers in the pool! :rolleyes:

(Forgot the quote last time!)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. We are cruising Jan 3 from New Orleans; it’s a 4-day cruise. What is “roll call area”? :o

Welcome!

Here's a link to the Carnival Roll Call section. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=341&order=desc

I didn't see any current roll call for your sailing.... Looks like you will be on the Fantasy on 1/3/08 our of NOLA??

Enjoy your cruise!

Hello All,

As you can see from my signature I have done a cruise out of New Orleans. Loved it! the size of the Fantasy was just right. There will be lots southern folks on board who were the best to cruise with bar none! Cruising again out of NO is VERY high on my list. We had a blast there.

Suggestions:

1. You will have like 90 miles of the Mississippi to go down

before the gulf so plan on lots of rubber necking

2. If flying in, fly in the day before you sail

3. A must for us in Cozumel is Paradise Beach http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Any questions you might have feel free to email me. :cool: I have hotel, restaurant and on board beverage suggestions if you need them. But, most of all have a GREAT time!

Dan

I've only done one cruise, but it was the best vacation I've ever had and hope to go again very soon.

Cabin location: We has an inside on Lido all the way forward and barely noticed any movement. I get motion sickness just riding in a car, but being on the ship really didn't bother me at all.

I only saw people in dress casual (or dressier) in the dining room on non-formal nights. I know alot of folks on here talk about jeans and shorts in the dining room, but I didn't see it. But wasn't looking for it either.

I was addicted to the iced tea on board and never had any soda.

I'd recommend booking some excursions, two of ours were snorkeling and a bike tour. I was not excited about the bike tour prior to doing it, but just went along. It turned out to be a really fun way to see the island (St. Croix) much better than a bus tour. And I had never snorkeled before and that was awesome as well.

I was a bit anxious before going, not knowing what to expect. Yet my friend & I had a great time. She is far more outgoing than I am, but we equally enjoyed the cruise. I have no doubt you'll enjoy yours.

Welcome!

Here's a link to the Carnival Roll Call section. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=341&order=desc

I didn't see any current roll call for your sailing.... Looks like you will be on the Fantasy on 1/3/08 our of NOLA??

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, it's a 4-day cruise leaving out of NOLA on 1/3/08. My DH and I are driving to NOLA on New Year's Eve, and stay there till we embark on the 3rd.

You will love the Fantasy! She is a great ship! I would recommend Main level-midship if you want the least amount of movement. It does get a little rough when exiting/entering the mouth of the river so just be prepared.

Happy cruising!

Main level Midship, sounds good to me. Thank you for that info.

WARNING!!!!!!!!

CRUISING IS VERY VERY ADDICTIVE!

You and your DH are going to love it.

As soon as you get home, you'll be trying to figure out how to afford the next cruise

(sell the kids, house, cars.. - whatever it takes! )

Have a Great Time:)

yes: CalMom is right.

Your biggest worry right now should be

how you're going to afford the ensuing addiction/withdrawl problem that follows!

Start buying those Lotto tickets, right now!

Archived