Finally!

LegalSailor

I received confirmation today of the sailing, and now I can tell the DW that my missing Thanksgiving due to business in Europe will be worth it!

I booked the two of us on the QE2 for the Atlantic Isles Idyll, November 25 to December 6, 2007!

I've sailed the QE2 four times prior, and the QM2 twice - for the first time though, I'm sailing as a married man! I'm sure it won't be too different!

So a little backstory - the company I work for decided four weeks ago to send me to London, not a bad job, however I leave on November 19 - before Thanksgiving!:confused: I was in quite a bit of hot water with the DW of course, but my repeated attempts to get out of the trip were met with sound resistance. So I did what every husband would do, buy the wife something to maybe convince her I'm a "nice guy." No kids (we haven't had any yet), 11 days on the Queen, and a Q3 suite for two, I hope I did alright!:)

Happy Sailing

I'd say you did more than just well!!! If she doesn't want to go I'd be happy to trot along....I'm just up the road from you in PI...And I'll be back in time from my Nov 9th Caribbean on QM2....:rolleyes:

Do enjoy yourself...you did well!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I received confirmation today of the sailing, and now I can tell the DW that my missing Thanksgiving due to business in Europe will be worth it!

I booked the two of us on the QE2 for the Atlantic Isles Idyll, November 25 to December 6, 2007!

I've sailed the QE2 four times prior, and the QM2 twice - for the first time though, I'm sailing as a married man! I'm sure it won't be too different!

So a little backstory - the company I work for decided four weeks ago to send me to London, not a bad job, however I leave on November 19 - before Thanksgiving!:confused: I was in quite a bit of hot water with the DW of course, but my repeated attempts to get out of the trip were met with sound resistance. So I did what every husband would do, buy the wife something to maybe convince her I'm a "nice guy." No kids (we haven't had any yet), 11 days on the Queen, and a Q3 suite for two, I hope I did alright!:)

Happy Sailing

We spent Christmas last year onboard a ship in the West Indies, and none of us felt we were missing a thing back home. ;)

You did good!

Hey, someone else is going:D - I was beginning to think despite the roll call with 2 other people on that I was the only one:D (The other 2 went AWOL in July & haven't, apparently, been back to Cruise critic since, either that or they are keeping a low profile having heard I am going, LOL )

Have you seen the roll call yet? - I've not been down there to find out yet:D

Ok, decide to have a quick peep, and its still languishing down the page with no new entries - here it is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=592143

My name is Karen (difficult one that, LOL), and I will be travelling solo.

This will be my third time on QE2, 2nd this year.

Was on board when the announcement of the sale was made, and decided I wouldn't be back on board again, partly because I had already booked next years main cruise (P+O:eek: ) and then because of the way the prices went up (for 08 sailings), but aided and abetted by this lot here, I seem to have been drawn back again, and booked a week ago.

I booked this one because it is shorter than many (annual leave is almost gone now) and its going somewhere warm (I went to Iceland in June) & it was still relatively 'cheap' for solo's.

If you want to meet up once on board come (or even not) & join us (well me:rolleyes: ) on the roll call

Karen

(oh and don't read any of my other posts, particularly those on the QM2 May 6th roll call, those on Thursdays nights after 11pm (pub quiz night), or any after 9pm on Fridays Saturdays and Sundays or any that mention cats (And just to be on the safe side, take all the others with a pinch of salt as well) - oh and just in case, as Malcolm suggested, it was my avatar that scared the other 2 off, don't look at it :D )

We spent Christmas last year onboard a ship in the West Indies, and none of us felt we were missing a thing back home. ;)

We've spent the last three Christmases on the QE2. This Christmas will be our fourth. They are the first Christmases I've actually looked forward to in about 25 years!

We've spent the last three Christmases on the QE2. This Christmas will be our fourth. They are the first Christmases I've actually looked forward to in about 25 years!

Yes, I have to echo the sentiment concerning the "looking forward to Christmas." Don't get me wrong, I love my family just as I'm sure everyone does, but I decided to take the DW and the Parents on a Christmas cruise on HAL this year - and I have to admit, I haven't been this excited in a long time!

We don't ever get to stay in Charleston for Christmas anyways, so I think being between Turks & Caicos and Bonaire this year on Christmas will be a great thing!

I will check out the board for the roll call, and I don't think I can be scared off by anything - apparently I'm one of those lawyers, the blood-sucking Corporate types! LOL!:)

Yes, I have to echo the sentiment concerning the "looking forward to Christmas." Don't get me wrong, I love my family just as I'm sure everyone does, but I decided to take the DW and the Parents on a Christmas cruise on HAL this year - and I have to admit, I haven't been this excited in a long time!

We don't ever get to stay in Charleston for Christmas anyways, so I think being between Turks & Caicos and Bonaire this year on Christmas will be a great thing!

I will check out the board for the roll call, and I don't think I can be scared off by anything - apparently I'm one of those lawyers, the blood-sucking Corporate types! LOL!:)

Hey, Mr.Blood-sucking Corporate Lawyer type (which corporation <G>)

We spent Christmas on board the HAL Westerdam in 2004. We were in a Deluxe Verandah Suite. They are marvelous. The ship had just been outfitted with the new HAL bedding, and I have to tell you, it made it hard to get out of bed some mornings! You felt like you were cradled in the purest coziest cushiest thing known to man! The cabin is considered what some lines call Concierge Class, with a private lounge where you could have canapes and drinks daily, and we had a small party with the officers, I think, the second night. All of the heads of various departments, in formal attire. Of course you had the concierge there to help with excursions, tickets and such. The Christmas luncheon in the forward top lounge (can't remember the name- beautiful) was marvelous. It was a buffet, with champagne and various drinks, the table was laden with every imaginable treat, including the biggest tub of French Caviar, complete with chopped eggs, delicate thinly sliced onions, and the other usual accompaniments. Now I am no connoisseur of caviars, and while it may not have been beluga, or maybe even sevruga, I don't remember, it was delicious! I know what I like, and I could care less whether it was the best, or the "right kind" or the most expensive. It was fabulous, and to me, that's what counts!

The ship was decorated with beautiful Christmas decor. I must say, I kept thinking, pity the poor Jewish or otherwise non-Christmas observing passenger who took this cruise to get away from all the hoopla of a holiday they do not celebrate (and people look at you like you have three heads and consider you an infidel if you mention you don't celebrate Christmas) and here they are, chock in the middle of constant Christmas revelry decorations and music. There was a Santa for the children, but since we do not have children and don't particularly care to be around them to any extent, we did not attend this. But they made sure the kids did not feel left out.

BTW, I must say, we "celebrate" the holiday by default. Because in America you almost can't NOT. We are not religious, particularly me, but I am personally disgusted with the commercial orgy that Christmas has turned into, to the extent that one must pity the poor parent who either is struggling to make do, but feels that they MUST buy toys and such they cannot afford (usually cheaply made under horrible conditions in China) or their children will feel horribly deprived and abused. Or perhaps these are not the values you wish to impart to your children, It is hard not to be a part of this "greedfest" that it has turned into, for some, turning some children into "consumers" who have to have the latest craze, only to grow bored with this item they lusted over and their parents struggled and sacrificed to provide, in a few short weeks. (why yes, I HAVE been exposed to such children, and it sickened me. These children were spoiled rotten, demanded more, more, and did not appreciate anything!) Unfortunately, there are a lot of children out there who have not learned to appreciate things, and take possessions (and their right to acquire more) for granted and parents who feel they must, to make up for not being able to spend enough time as they wish with them, or because they maybe don't want their kids to make to or go without, as some of the older generation had to do. (I think I was 12 when I finally got a much-envied Barbie Doll- I was certain the ONLY child that did not have one! My parents considered it too much to spend for a doll. Then I had to endure the ignominy of clothes my mother lovingly sewed for my Barbie (horrors!) when everyone knew, it was the cheap cheezy plastic accessories you coveted! What I would give to have that Barbie now, but alas, the whole kit and caboodle got tossed when I was away at college. Anyway, what I was saying, is that although I do not ascribe to a religion, I am respectful of the faith-based customs of others, and think it is just sacrilege what Madison avenue (and corporate profit grubbing) have done that has forced the observance into what it has become, and away from its true meaning. (Yes, I realize a lot of folks are deeply observant of the religious significance, but I don't like the bastardization of the whole season, now starting earlier and earlier each year) It's one reason I stopped watching television. The incessant hawking of the latest must-have gizmo, that makes people, children especially, feel their lives will be all the poorer without it. I just hate that man have forgotten what the holiday represents. (and to any Muslims on the board, I wish you a most propitious Ramadan season. May you feed the poor, and be blessed)

Well, sorry about the lecture.

Enjoy your holiday aboard your HAL ship. You will find it beautiful and You may choose the direction in which you wish to go (well, in terms of religious or not) but with beauty and respect on the ship. It is very tasteful, and a respite from the constant barrage of buy, buy, buy messages on land.

I will warn you of one thing, though, unless they changed it. I am so sick of most Christmas music piped into everywhere and everything. I turn off the radio long before December begins! I vowed to shoot myself if I heard "Grandma got Run Over by a Reindeer" one more time! On the positive side, I did not hear that song once on board. On the down side, they played constant seasonal music everywhere, more of the Bing and Francis style (as in Francis Sinatra) What's wrong with that, you say? Well, it was on an endless loop! Over, and over, and over!!! I hope someone has bought them a few more tapes!

Have a marvelous holiday. I hope it is everything you desire and aspire to!

Karie,

who appreciates that most do not feel as I do, and wishes you the holiday of your dreams!

Hi, Karie,

Don't be sorry about the lecture - I agree wholeheartedly with every word you said!

Christmas is no different here in England and yes, to call it a 'Greedfest' is about right.

Trouble is - I think, like most other things these days, we've got it from the United States. Sorry!;)

No! *I* apologize! We're a bad influence the cheeky younger cousins! <G>

Karie,

who hangs her head in shame!

I agree wholeheartedly with every word you said!

Same here:)

Christmas is no different here in England and yes, to call it a 'Greedfest' is about right.

Christmas is a miserable time. Everything shuts down for at least a week and the festivities run for nearer two months. (We saw our first Christmas decorations for this Christmas about two weeks ago:eek: )

One of the good things about Cunard is that there's a little bit of Christmas music as you sail away, a present and card on your bed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day is at sea and then, by Boxing Day it's all over.:)

Indeed! We spent the holiday enjoying each others' company, Santa Claus hilariously showed up via tender for the small children onboard, we all got small but lovely gifts from the ship, no one had to cook anything, and we didn't have to deal with any driving people here and there issues.

Aside from a Caribbean cruise as a gift for the children (;)), we didn't have to worry about presents or trees and decorations at home. Yes, I think at sea is where I'd like to spend every Christmas holiday! It's actually something I'd always wanted to do since I was a child. So there was even the added plus of having a childhood dream come true. :)

Christmas on QE2 10 years ago was wonderful. But my personal favorite was New Years Eve complete with Baby New Year and Father Time chasing each other through the ship, Champagne everywhere , the only midnight buffet I have ever attended at sea and dancing under the stars in the Caribbean.:D :cool:

Have A great trip!

Archived