Dress Code Question - Casual Nights

kcrowdis

Many people do change out of their formal attire (including me, depending on how many desserts I had :) ), and RCI doesn't care any more about that than they do people wearing jeans on casual nights. Like I said earlier, their concern is that you're enjoying yourself not that you're following their dress suggestions. However, they are formal evenings not formal dinners and if one were following the code they would stay in their formal attire all evening - just like they would not wear jeans. I would think that if one were being considerate (as opposed to being a stickler) they would follow the dress code both as it relates to jeans and staying in formal attire for the evening. Why one and not the other?

FYI - On lines that have actual dress code requirements (e.g. Silversea) you would not be allowed to attend any of the evening activities if you changed into casual clothes after dinner.

True for Silversea...do you think that people that sail that line are more apt to stay dressed because of the price of their tickets....or because they realize it is required or because they enjoy staying dressed the entire evening? Do you think that Silversea attracts a certain group of people that RCI doesn't?

I've always stayed dressed for the evening on Silversea...and never thought about it being "required".

Stupid add-on question since most are saying to dump the jacket - are the dining rooms not overly AC'd? I almost always take a sweater to movie theaters and restaurants for just this reason. Are those who wear the sundresses and other sleeveless tops never chilly?

It depends..some evenings I've been cold and had to use a wrap..others I haven't had to use anything and have been comfortable. I tend to chill easily though.

Well, I don't know if you could call me a "stickler" and what someone else does doesn't bother me, but from the many posts on these boards that I've read about dress codes, I've seen many that say they go back to the room to change after dinner, even on the formal nights.....hmmmmmmmmm......I just can't imagine that people stay all dressed up to go to the bars or discos and casnio? :confused:

I would if the ships would go smoke free. No way am I getting my dress clothes all smoky though.

True for Silversea...do you think that people that sail that line are more apt to stay dressed because of the price of their tickets....or because they realize it is required or because they enjoy staying dressed the entire evening? Do you think that Silversea attracts a certain group of people that RCI doesn't?

I've always stayed dressed for the evening on Silversea...and never thought about it being "required".

I was merely using as an example showing that cruise lines consider it to be formal evenings not formal dinners. As to your question, personally, I doubt they have to tell many people they're not dressed appropriately, either at dinner or after (but probably more than they did 10 years ago).

I was merely using as an example showing that cruise lines consider it to be formal evenings not formal dinners. As to your question, personally, I doubt they have to tell many people they're not dressed appropriately, either at dinner or after (but probably more than they did 10 years ago).

Do you think when that happens the passenger is shocked that their attire isn't appropriate or rather a case of "darn..got caught"?

I guess I am asking if some people really have no clue what appropriate attire is.

Do you think when that happens the passenger is shocked that their attire isn't appropriate or rather a case of "darn..got caught"?

I guess I am asking if some people really have no clue what appropriate attire is.

I'd like to believe it's more of "darn got caught" than the other......I'd hate to think people are that clueless :rolleyes: It's probably also a "I don't give a sh**" attitude and they get all pissed off, kwim?

On SilverSea, I'd say it's mostly differences of opinion as to what constitutes formal, along with an occasional person who believes they're above the rules.

Did you ever sail with them when they required a tie on smart casual evenings? They had enough differences of opinion as to what constituted smart casual, they finally gave up.

On SilverSea, I'd say it's mostly differences of opinion as to what constitutes formal, along with an occasional person who believes they're above the rules.

Did you ever sail with them when they required a tie on smart casual evenings? They had enough differences of opinion as to what constituted smart casual, they finally gave up.

My husband is one of "those"...he would always wear a tie and shirt and jacket or cardigan sweater. He will wear collared "sport" shirts but never in a formal dining room.:rolleyes: He believes in "dressing" for dinner, when cruising. If we go to the WJ he will wear a collared shirt with no tie...that kind of dining venue he will be smart casual.

Does smart casual even exist on RCCL these days. We were on LOS a couple of weeks ago and non-formal nights were all casual.
Officially, yes. At least it was on our last cruise, honored mostly in the breach, though. BTW, on some cruise lines non-formal is a distinct category (similar to smart casual) separate from casual. They will have formal, non-formal and casual.

Does smart casual even exist on RCCL these days. We were on LOS a couple of weeks ago and non-formal nights were all casual.

The "feeling" is that they dropped the "smart" from casual...but it doesn't matter and didn't satisfy those that just can't bring themselves to dress on formal nights either.:rolleyes:

Thanks to those of you that shared information on my question. I guess I should have mentioned that we are sailing to New England/Canada in October. We certainly would not consider wearing that heavy of clothing in the Caribbean but figured it might be neccesary in that area, during the fall, and on the water.

Thanks again for your input!!

The "feeling" is that they dropped the "smart" from casual...but it doesn't matter and didn't satisfy those that just can't bring themselves to dress on formal nights either.:rolleyes:

To be honest, I didn't see anyone not dressed for formal. Very few tuxes but I didn't see any men without jackets or ties.

Archived