Help from any navy guys or gals about taking a cruise

KarenConley

My husband was in the Navy. If sailing on a cruise was like being on a Navy ship, we never would have cruised. We just finished our sixth cruise in 7 years and have two more scheduled for next year. He loves cruising.

What will come in handy is if the ship tilts at all, he'll know exactly how many degrees it tilted.

On our FOS cruise, the ship tilted during a storm at 1:30 AM the last night. (DH was asleep). I woke him up ready to get my life jacket on, he looked around, said "It's a 5 degree tilt, go back to bed". Darned if the Captain didn't get on the loudspeaker after he steered into the wind and the got the ship even keeled and say it was a 5 degree tilt!

Well this is too funny to read! As a retired sailor too, I can say that everything is true! You have fore and aft, port and starboard. And that's that. The rest of the cruise will be NOTHING like the Navy. I love megr's comment: no sleeping in the rack with legs/feet everywhere around you, unless you plan it that way!

Some people thought I was crazy to take a cruise WHILE I was on active duty (went with my folks). It was fantastic. Well, when I returned to 'my' ship, I wasn't spoiled any more! Somehow, I could not convince the Captain to have Vegas style entertainment down in the officer's mess.

Well this is too funny to read! As a retired sailor too, I can say that everything is true! You have fore and aft, port and starboard. And that's that. The rest of the cruise will be NOTHING like the Navy. I love megr's comment: no sleeping in the rack with legs/feet everywhere around you, unless you plan it that way!

Some people thought I was crazy to take a cruise WHILE I was on active duty (went with my folks). It was fantastic. Well, when I returned to 'my' ship, I wasn't spoiled any more! Somehow, I could not convince the Captain to have Vegas style entertainment down in the officer's mess.

Hah, should have been a CPO or officer on submarines!! Couldn't get in the goat locker on Friday or (especially) Saturday night before pizza midrats. The skipper and the eng would usually drag the Bull in to join the COB and some of the coner Chiefs for pinocchle at least and usually poker. Oh wait, that's against regs, it would never happen! LOL. The COB, and the Captain would usually clean out the Bull before the night was over.

OK Wraite. You're so right. But I neglected to mention that before I was in the Officers' Mess, I, too, was also a CPO. So I went from one dignified Goat Locker to the snooty Officer's Mess.....I liked it better with the Chiefs. I was never a card player or acey deucey; I learned the silly games of Dominoes and Cribbage!

According to my honey, cruising is like taking everything GOOD about being in the Navy.... being on a ship, watching the ocean, visiting lots of interesting ports... and none of the bad. In fact, replace working with relaxing, replace uniforms with Hawaiian shirts, add air conditioning, lounge chairs, bars, pools, shows and fancy restaurants with quality food... get the picture? ;)

Thanks again everyone. I have been telling my DH about the size of the ship and all the space you have to move around--not cramped up rooms like in the navy--I think being cramped up in rooms was a concern for him but after looking at some pictures that a fellow on another thread helped show him the size of the rooms. Keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully will book when the 09 listings come out.:)

Archived