Boston "Little Italy": Can you get there by subway from Freedom Trail area?

LakelandCat

Hi all. We will be in Boston next week while in port. We are planning to walk the Freedom Trail. A friend who has previously visited recommended we go tour around "Little Italy" for a short jaunt and maybe eat there as well. Is there a subway route that will get us there from the Freedom Trail area and back? We are taking the ship shuttle to the Freedom Trail for our starting point. Also, if this is "doable" is there any must sees or routes you would suggest? We are in port until about 9pm. We will have our 1 year old baby and parents with us. Thanks for any help. I will also check the city public transportation sites. Happy cruising to all!

As Debordo said, the Freedom Trail runs through "Little Italy," which is called the North End. Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church are surrounded by Italian restaurants and bakeries.

If you're looking for a T stop, Haymarket on the Green and Orange Lines is most convenient to the North End. You have to cross over the construction zone/park that used to be the elevated highway.

Just got back from a Canada/New England cruise. As others have said there alot of restaurants in the Little Italy area. Sorry I can't recommend a restaurant for a meal as we didn't eat there. But the menu's we did look at looked great. We did stop for cannolis at Mike's Pastry though. Yummy!

All the above advice is good. Nobody from Boston calls the area "Little Italy", btw, it is always "The North End". The main street is Hanover Street, there are a lot of restaurants there, but I've never had a bad meal anywhere!

All the above advice is good. Nobody from Boston calls the area "Little Italy", btw, it is always "The North End". The main street is Hanover Street, there are a lot of restaurants there, but I've never had a bad meal anywhere!

klauer,

How far is the North End from Quincy Market? What's the easiest and shortest way to get there from Quincy Market?

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Not far -- maybe a 15 minute stroll? There is a free downloadable map at

thefreedomtrail.org If you follow the red line on the pavement north from Quincy (pronounced "Quinzy" for some reason) Market, you can't get lost!

I believe that there may be a sign to point you in the right direction.

Another good source of information is the Boston National Historical Park website at nps.gov/bost. The Visitor Center is below street level across from the Old Statehouse (State stop on the blue and orange lines on the subway/"T"). There is a small bookstore and information desk where you can pick up a park brochure with a short description of the historical sites on the trail.

Have a wonderful time in Boston!

• 2 weeks later...

I know you have already been on your trip, I hope you had a great time. I wanted to post for others who may be looking for info: A north end link: http://www.northendboston.com/

Also, I've eaten at this place several times & it was great each time: http://www.assaggioboston.com/ There is a cafe up the block on the opposite side of the street (don't remember the name). We tell the bartender that we are waiting for a table at Assaggio's and they call & have the restaurant call the café when the table is ready.

Archived