Flying to Seattle for Vancouver embarkation

luvgoldens

For those of you who have flown to Seattle and either rented a car or taken the Amtrak to Vancouver, was it a big pain?

My husband's sister lives in the Seattle area so for our Alaska cruise in 2008, we are thinking of flying in the day before, spending some time with them, and then taking the Amtrak to Vancouver early the next morning. When we get back, we are thinking of renting a car in Vancouver and then dropping it at the Seattle airport. If we do this, we will get a late flight out of Seattle.

In addition to seeing family, we will also save ≈$500. What do you guys think?

Are you planning to take Amtrak to Vancouver the morning of the cruise? I wouldn't risk that. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE training. But they have been known to run late, and you'd hate to be stressing about missing your ship.

I'd rent the car from Seattle to Vancouver, then take Amtrak back after the cruise and plan on spending another night with the family. Then I'd fly out early the next morning.

Either way, enjoy your cruise -- and the best city on earth! :)

the train was a beautiful ride...we got into SEA VERY late..had a room at the hilton airport for 5 hours, got up silly early to get a cab down to the station.

the train left on time, got in on time and we hopped a cab to our hotel for 2 nights in vancouver (pan pacific)....i think the cab fare was maybe 10-12 CDN from the station to canada place...

the cascades generally gets in on time or close to it..they have had some equipment troubles which resulted in using buses for a while this summer, however, they seem to have gotten that under control.

the ride was wonderful.....there is nothing in the seattle train station, so talk your sister into making you breakfast in the AM!!! (at least coffee-you can get a breakfast on the train! fun!) get to the station early...the seats are assigned and people get there early....the area near the station is iffy at night/early AM-it opens at 6 AM iirc, so get there a few minutes before!

ask to sit on the left side of the train to see the water...and look at how cute the town of White Rock, BC is....the whole town is sidewalk cafes and stuff...and everyone comes out to wave at the train...!

http://www.amtrakcascades.com

Cascades doesn't run late. The reason is that it only has three stops right outside of Seattle, then it just glides along and arrives in Vancouver before noon. It's a lovely ride and a fantastic way to travel. So much more relaxing than flying!

I can't speak to the rental car part. I know many complained about the wait at the border going into Canada, and that even on the shuttles they had get off and stand with their luggage etc. One shuttle was at the border for five hours. I haven't heard anything about crossing back into the US.

I live near Seattle and take the Cascades service to Vancouver quite a bit. You don't need to worry about that train being catastrophically late. I've ridden it for years and the latest I've ever been northbound into Vancouver was a little under an hour, which meant it was in before 1 pm.

Coming back, consider Quick Coach, which has service directly from the cruise piers to SeaTac. It may be cheaper than renting a car.

Several options are available. As mentioned above you can try the Quick Shuttle http://www.quickcoach.com/ or you can use the ships bus back to Sea Tac. Renting a car for a one way trip can be expensive. Many companies do not allow a drop off in another country, and for those who do it can be very expensive. With the train remember that you have all that luggage an two cab rides to boot. I'd go for the shuttle bus -- it takes you straight to Sea Tac.

Are you planning to take Amtrak to Vancouver the morning of the cruise? I wouldn't risk that. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE training. But they have been known to run late, and you'd hate to be stressing about missing your ship.

I'd rent the car from Seattle to Vancouver, then take Amtrak back after the cruise and plan on spending another night with the family. Then I'd fly out early the next morning.

Either way, enjoy your cruise -- and the best city on earth! :)

Sorry, but this train is point to point Seattle/Vancouver and runs very close to the timeframe posted. It does not have to come from Los Angles etc.

I have flown into Seattle and left out of Vancouver many times, mostly with a one way car rental, but also with Amtrak and Quick shuttle.

For less wait at the border, either consider crossing at Lynden rather than Blaine, or stay overnight in Bellingham, which I mostly do, get an early start and rarely a long wait at Blaine. Then you have a couple hours to see Vancouver, if of interest.

With Amtrak, add about $35+++ for a cab from Seatac, then another, $12++ca to Canada Place. But I take Skytrain, to Canada Place $2.25capp

There is only one round trip train per day. It's important if you book coach, to get to the depot early and be ready to get in line early for the seat assignments- requesting the water side.

Archived