2 questions from a rookie

txflood3

I see on Carnival's site the times the ship is to arrive and depart from each port. Is this time adjusted to the local time of the appropriate port? I assume it is but wasn't sure. Just out of curiosity what time zones are Mo Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman and Cozumel in?

Last, my cruise leaves on Halloween, approx 8-9 weeks out. When can I expect to see the docs in the mail or even a room assignment on the Carnival site. We booked our cruise directly through Carnival and the last payment was made in early July.

Thanks

With the new policy from Carnival you should get your documents 6-8 weeks out. (It used to be they sometimes would not arrive until 2 weeks before.)

One question I have is you mention Cabin assignment. The policy for when they assign the cabin appears to have recently changed and I know that people have said that the cabin # is now often on the new doc's when they arrive, if thats not the case there have been other tips on the board on finding the Cabin number just do a search and you should find one or two references.

This thread also had the same question

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=73367

Regards

I see on Carnival's site the times the ship is to arrive and depart from each port. Is this time adjusted to the local time of the appropriate port? I assume it is but wasn't sure. Just out of curiosity what time zones are Mo Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman and Cozumel in?

The ship stays on the time of the debarkation port, ie if your ship leaves from Miami, your ship stays on Eastern time. This could play havoc if you go off on your own in, for example, Cozumel. The ship leaves at 10:00. You look at a clock in bar or ask a local the time and get told that it was 9:00. Figuring you have time to get to your ship, you will be at an empty pier. Two friends forgot about that until last minute recently and made it back to the ship a mere two minutes before they pulled up the gangway.

Actually, it appears to depend on which ship you are on. On the Conquest you change the clocks but now I can't seem to remember which nights it happens. I do remember that you change them back to CST the night before you go to Cozumel. My experience with this has been during January cruises...not sure how daylight savings time affects this.

So basically...I really can't answer your question! :D Your capers on the ship will let you know and the crew will be reminding you so don't worry. Have a great time!

Sure hope I'm right about this: :rolleyes:

All of Mexico stays on CST all the time. No daylight savings time in Mexico. So depending on WHEN you cruise to Mexican ports the time difference could be substantial or not at all.

As Kristi posted, it seems some of the ships adjust their time to fit the times of their port visits, however, the general rule is the ship's time is port of embarkation time. Not necessarily local time at the ports.

I can't speak about the ports of the other Caribbean countries.

It would seem to me if they standardized what the ship's time is, anyone could set their watches at the port and then not have to worry about what local time was in order to get back to the ship on time. But, then again, what do I know ? :D

With the new policy from Carnival you should get your documents 6-8 weeks out. (It used to be they sometimes would not arrive until 2 weeks before.)

Cabin assignments are made now 6-8 weeks out -- but Carnival has made no announcement concerning accelerating documents mailings. I learned (and confirmed via TA) my cabin assignment 59 days in advance of my Oct. 4 cruise, but I still don't have documents -- and, from others' experience reported elsewhere here, I don't expect them until 3-4 weeks prior to departure.

My main reason for asking was in the case of traveling to a port and having excursions booked through private tour groups.

This is just all so confusing....My ship sails out of New Orleans (CST), then sails to Mo Bay, Grand Cayman (which I believe both are EST) then to Cozumel (which depends on the time of year to determine the accurrate time since there is no daylight savings time). I certainly don't want to be late getting back to the ship...but then again, don't want to miss any planned excursions.

I guess I will toss another non related question out there.....Once in port, can you leave/return to the ship all throughout the day? I ask because I would like to go deep sea fishing in Cozumel, my new wife will have no interest in this. If I go in the morning when we get there on a 4 hour trip, can I get back to the ship when done or can she get off to meet me to do some shopping or beach lounging in the afternoon? Do tinders run throughout the day?

I agree with the previous poster. I have not seen where any one is getting documents 7-8 weeks out. Although cabins are being assigned 7 weeks prior to your cruise. You can see that assignment by going to carnivals website and registering your cruise. (you can do this oNLY if you are not booked as a group-- if you booked as a group--too bad.)

after you register your cruise you can go into that area to see where you are going-- how many days you have left. While on that page paste this web site into the browser.. http://www.carnival.com/BookModify.aspx 7 weeks before your cruise you can scroll down to see your cabin. Do not get freaked out because the picture that is showing is NOT what you booked but only a picture of showing you what is available.

This is just all so confusing....My ship sails out of New Orleans (CST), then sails to Mo Bay, Grand Cayman (which I believe both are EST) then to Cozumel (which depends on the time of year to determine the accurrate time since there is no daylight savings time). I certainly don't want to be late getting back to the ship...but then again, don't want to miss any planned excursions.

I guess I will toss another non related question out there.....Once in port, can you leave/return to the ship all throughout the day? I ask because I would like to go deep sea fishing in Cozumel, my new wife will have no interest in this. If I go in the morning when we get there on a 4 hour trip, can I get back to the ship when done or can she get off to meet me to do some shopping or beach lounging in the afternoon? Do tinders run throughout the day?

Tenders come and go from and to the ship all day.

One can leave or return to the ship whenever they want and as often as they want.

I have been trying to find my cabin number for my 11/6 balcony guarantee on the Triumph. I know we may be to far from the date for it to be available. However, I went to my reservation on the carnival site and it needed my booking number and sail date. I added the information but it kept saying invalid sail date. Any ideas as how to get past this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Archived