Can't Decide

Outofhere

Planning cruise to Alaska next summer. HELP! Can't decide which month, which cruiseline or ship, round-trip or one-way. Reading forums and reviews - I'm getting dizzy. Every time I decide on something, I read more and then change my mind.

Welcome to CC.

Make a spreadsheet type list - ships on one side, things they offer and/or ports of call on the other. Check off which ships offer the ports or things you are most interested in.

If you are still totally dizzy, some would recommend you talk with a local travel agent who can assist you, others wouldn't think of walking into a travel agency even if they were on their death bed and it would promise to heal them.

One way cruises are best if you spend time in the interior but I did a one way in August and didn't tour the interior though I get to Alaska 2-3 times a year so it is not as important to me. For most people it would be a shame to arrive/depart from Anchorage and not spend at least a little time on the Kenai Peninsula or at Denali.

John

Here are some comments which may help organize your thoughts. You can also read my AK review at http://web.mac.com/mellicon/My_Voyag...les/alaska.pdf. Just keep in mind it long and takes awhile to download, but some have found it helpful.

My experience of an independent land tour + a SB cruise to Vancouver was great. Best of luck with your planning.

>Do you want to just do a cruise, or do cruise + land tour?

> If you choose the latter, you’ll need to decide if you want to do the land portion independently, or do a cruisetour through the cruiseline.

> If you do a cruisetour, you will do an open jaw cruise. Determine if you want to do northbound (generally from Vancouver / Seattle to Seward / Whittier) or southbound.

> Decide what to do first - the tour or the cruise.

> Decide what land stops are important to you. There are lots of combinations, but time in Seward (to see Kenai Fjords) and Denali (you'll need at least 2 nights here) are most popular. My favorite stop was Valdez as a gateway to Prince William Sound.

> Pick a cruiseline. RCI and X combine to form Royal Celebrity Tours (RCT) in Alaska; they do a very nice job. However, HAL and Princess have been in Alaska for much longer, have more ships and more varied itinerary choices, and have a very strong land presence. HAL, for example, owns Grayline. Some people will avoid X due to the past problems some of their ships have had with propulsion systems.

> Determine what (if any) glacier stops on your cruise are important. RCI cruises by Hubbard; HAL and Princess mostly cruise through Glacier Bay. Some people have preferences; both are very nice for slightly different reasons.

> Decide when in the May - Sept season to go. Since you will be on land, you may want to avoid going too early, as the road into Denali may not be all the way open, bears may not be about, etc. June of course gets lots of daylight, July has more mosquitoes on land, etc.

> Plan excursions to take advantage of your time in Alaska. Excursions are varied and can be very pricey, but will really enhance your trip. Determine what you like, what you want to do, what port is best for those activities and reserve early.

> Research Cruise Critic feedback. There are some great experts on the this board.

Thanks so much for the info. We'll probably do just the cruise since we can't take the extra time from work though I know what you're thinking - if you're going to Alaska you really should spend as much time as possible and see it all. It's a trip I've been dreaming of taking and finally convinced my husband - who prefers warmer vacations. That's why I'm concerned about when to go. Don't want him to be too unhappy with the cold weather. I know once he's there, he's going to love it.

Planning cruise to Alaska next summer. HELP! Can't decide which month, which cruiseline or ship, round-trip or one-way. Reading forums and reviews - I'm getting dizzy. Every time I decide on something, I read more and then change my mind.

Positively the best advice I can give somebody in that position is to find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor. Ask around from your friends and co-workers for their recommendations, and look for the CLIA certificate for the agent, not just for the agency. Tell the agent what you are interested in and ask for some suggestions. (If the agency only pushes one cruise line, run like the wind to another TA). Read through the brochures, go back to the agent with your questions, and be sure you are comfortable with the attention you receive and the way your questions are answered. It does not cost you anything, but the agency will get a nice commission from the cruise line when you book the cruise so you should get a lot of attention and service. That is the best way to learn about cruising from an expert!

Have a GREAT cruise!

If you go the agent route, be sure they have experience in Alaska, most do not. It won't be much help to you, if they can only rely on the cruise brochures.

I suggest you head to your library- Alaska By Cruiseship is an excellent book, Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska are others. Pick up/request cruise brochures.

With no time for interior Alaska, round trips pack a lot into 7 days, so don't eliminate those choices in my opinion.

As for time to go?? Mid May - June, historically is the dryest. No guarantees though. :) Anytime you go, you will need a lined jacket, layers, knit hat and gloves, rain gear.

In a cruise selection, look at - ports, time in ports, routing, itinerary, ship naturalist, glacier, price. Budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them in my opinion. :)

patrick, rci cruise pretty much decided, but wondering about missing some of the sights (glaciers/fjords) of other cruise lines. should we not miss college fjord or glacier bay, for example? could we do those from private excursions either from rcl or prior land portion?

ACUD, you will not go wrong with your RCCL cruise. We have never been disappointed in them as we have with others. Of course everyone has their own opinion but RCCL goes to Hubbard and that is lovely. There is something for everyone to do but not so "in your face". Have fun.

patrick, rci cruise pretty much decided, but wondering about missing some of the sights (glaciers/fjords) of other cruise lines. should we not miss college fjord or glacier bay, for example? could we do those from private excursions either from rcl or prior land portion?

If you are on a one-way cruise, you can see glaciers up close in Prince William Sound (including those in College Fjord) from a small boat excursion out of Whittier. If you are on RCI into/out of Seward - you can take a 6-hour (or longer) Kenai Fjords cruise, which goes to either Aialik or Holgate Glacier.

Archived