TiVo Alert! Friday, 10/19/07 Discovery Science: Build it Bigger

Chriz

Link to my origional thread on the RCI Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=645888

Just saw the commercial....

This is to air this Friday, 10/19/07 at 10pm Est.

Build It Bigger:

Danny Forster ventures from Finland to Florida to see how the world's biggest cruise ships are created and then sail. Danny follows the construction of one of the 11-story floating cities and then boards a working sister ship for a behind the scenes look.

The commercial showed the Liberty of the Seas!

OK I may be in the minority here but I hated this program. I TIVO'd it the last time it aired. The guy that hosts is really annoying and has absolutely no regard for safety. It is absolutely ridiculous, what this guy does with no safety gear, I was horrified. This guy is a huge accident waiting to happen. I was cringing through half of the program.

If you take this guy out of the program with his blatant disregard for safety, the program was actually very interesting and informative. I can not believe this guy still has all of his limbs, and is still employed.

OK I may be in the minority here but I hated this program. I TIVO'd it the last time it aired. The guy that hosts is really annoying and has absolutely no regard for safety. It is absolutely ridiculous, what this guy does with no safety gear, I was horrified. This guy is a huge accident waiting to happen. I was cringing through half of the program.

If you take this guy out of the program with his blatant disregard for safety, the program was actually very interesting and informative. I can not believe this guy still has all of his limbs, and is still employed.

I'm sure the companies/construction folks would not allow him to be in those situations unless there was a considerable degree of safety. Don't think it should affect the quality of the show, but ok.

Before this dude and his crew show up, they have to sign what is called a hold harmless agreement. So basically no matter what happens the contruction/cruiseline has no liability. So I spent an hour watching this guy potentially hurt himself or do some serious damage to the product or equipment. The whole time I was watching I was thinking "this guy is an idiot!".

You are right, maybe I'm just overly aware of the safety issues. Hubby is a Risk Advisor to some shipbuilding Co's, so I probably knew too much about the safety issues to enjoy the program. For example: if something is hot enough to cut through 3in solid steel, you probably don't need to put your face near it, esp if not wearing safety glasses and protective clothing.

I don't cringe in those circumstances. I just wait to see Darwinism in action. If anything I think we try to make things to safe for people. I mean think about it if a person eats the white packet in a stereo box do you really want him to breed? I say stop marking things do not eat....let em eat it if they want.

Same with the safety equipment.....let darwinism weed them out before they make more idiots in the world.

Thanks for the heads up! With the differing opinions on these boards, I'm anxious to see what it's all about. We sailed RCI Freedom of the Seas earlier this year. The DirecTV description mentions a working "sister ship". Is that (RCI FOS) the "sister ship" that gets boarded for part of the show?

We enjoyed watching it the first time around. It was fun to see Liberty being built. DH & I were on one of the Pre-Inaugurals -so we just HAD to watch it. :) Plus, hope to sail on Independence while it is still pretty new. I love these shows about how the ships are built! Amazing!

We enjoyed watching it the first time around. It was fun to see Liberty being built. DH & I were on one of the Pre-Inaugurals -so we just HAD to watch it. :) Plus, hope to sail on Independence while it is still pretty new. I love these shows about how the ships are built! Amazing!

I can't wait to cruise on those awesome 3 ships.

Fred

I can't wait to cruise on those awesome 3 ships.

Fred

I have to tell you - we have always sailed from the West Coast because DH HATES to fly!! Well, he agreed to fly to Miami for the 2 day Pre-Inaugural because he knew it was a huge honor. After spending the afternoon on the FlowRider, he proclaimed THAT was worth the flight to Miami (5+ hours each way!)... so I have no doubt he will fly to sail on one again for 7 days. It was VERY wise of them to invite us on that trip! ;) :p

Archived