What Luggage for Suits/Gowns

keishashadow

We (DH, self & teenage DS) currently fly into FLA with 3 of the biggest rolling suitcases I could find. with perhaps a bookbag or messenger bag & i use a baggalini as a purse for our vacations.

Drug suitcases out the other day when I was rummaging thru closet. It occurred to me that they may not be the best choice to pack a couple of gowns & my men's suits.

Thinking of purchasing one of those folding suit bags (not sure what they're called). Only consideration is I'd want something to stand up to the airline baggage handlers ;) . Seems as though prices are all over the map.:confused:

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced bag that will withstand travel a few times a year?

We (DH, self & teenage DS) currently fly into FLA with 3 of the biggest rolling suitcases I could find. with perhaps a bookbag or messenger bag & i use a baggalini as a purse for our vacations.

Drug suitcases out the other day when I was rummaging thru closet. It occurred to me that they may not be the best choice to pack a couple of gowns & my men's suits.

Thinking of purchasing one of those folding suit bags (not sure what they're called). Only consideration is I'd want something to stand up to the airline baggage handlers ;) . Seems as though prices are all over the map.:confused:

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced bag that will withstand travel a

few times a year?

I think you are talking about a folding garment bag. I just bought a new one on EBags that is made by Skyway. I decided not to go for the one on wheels as it was double the weight and, with all of the new airline restrictions, I wanted to conserve on weight. I first checked it out at one of our local stores and found that the strap would allow it to fit over the handle of my other rolling suitcase. Ebags seems to be having a sale right now so check the sale items if you decide to go to their site.

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced bag that will withstand travel a few times a year?

May I ask what a baggalini is?

May I ask what a baggalini is?

sure, it's a brand of bags, virtually indestructible, lightweight nylon type material, able to pack alot into many unique pockets/pouches, etc.

I favor a sling-type that can be worn slung across chest ala messenger bag; although there are many styles.

excellent for amusement parks, excursions, mini-bookbags...sounds like a testimonial to me lol. Purchased mine via a $10 coupon on shoebuy (sister site of ebags?)

Guess i'll take the advice & go check out ebags & see if i can find same item in store as to quality/weight...i was worried about a bag being too heavy (the ones i've seen in the store); although i'm afraid the baggage handlers would make short work of the more flimsy ones i've seen @ Kmart.

We used to do a very large suitcase, but with the weight restrictions on the airlines, I had to go with 2 smaller bags, to keep the weight to 50lbs. Hubby's shoes and suits are HEAVY!!!!!!! Our suitcases have a garment bag built in to the top section of the luggage--so I don't need an additional piece.

IMHO, Hartmann rolling garment bags are the best of the bunch (and I fly A LOT).

I have two-one purchased new and one purchased "nearly new". They are almost indestructible. They also carry a lifetime warranty and almost every city of any size in the country has an authorized Hartmann dealer for any repairs.

They are not especially light, but they are practical. I can pack 2 suits, a tuxedo, sport coat, 3 formal dresses, 2/3 other dresses, pants on hangers, two pairs of DH shoes, a couple of pairs of mine, and at least 6 dress shirts, all on hangers and still be right at 50 pounds. They will hold about 14 hangers.

I leave everything on the dry cleaners wire hangers with the bags and just stick them in the suitcases. No wrinkles, no muss, no fuss. All the junk goes in one carryon-cameras, electronics, bungee cords, duct tape, etc. etc. etc. Another carryon with changes of clothes, makeup, etc. And if we are doing a two week cruise, both rolling garment bags go with us.

They are often available on Ebay new and slightly used. I bought my "nearly new" tweed on Ebay for about $200.00. New ones are over $800.00. If you buy a rolling garment bag, MAKE SURE you get the 50" size. The smaller size (40") is just right for suits, but dresses get wrinkled at the bottom as you have to fold them over.

Here is one on Ebay right now. Don't know how high the bid will go, but I would guess not more than $200.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hartmann-50-inch-Mobile-Traveler-Garment-Bag-Intensity_W0QQitemZ220161187062QQihZ012QQcategoryZ16085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you have a Khols in your area they are having a great sale on garmet bags. I just replaced my husbands garment bag. I do not put my gowns in garmet bags because I dont like the way they travel. My gowns go in our largest suitcase, folder in half in plastic on the very top of the bag.... They are the last thing I pack and I dont pack the suitcase real full before putting the gowns in.

I also have a garmet bag I use for my comp gowns. I dont check these gowns. It is a bag that the gowns get folded in half, the bottom very wide and has shoulder straps, which makes it easy to get through the airport. The bag is very lightweight. Doredesigns sells these bags.

I have a large, heavy-duty garment bag I used to use when I traveled for business. It's not that heavy in weight, but hold up really well. It came with my luggage set. I have seen the same kind of garment bags on a regular basis at Goodwill. I think a lot of people get them with luggage sets but really don't have a need for them. If you are looking to not spend a lot of money, you might check around at the re-sale shops and thrift stores, i.e., Goodwill.

I bought a rollling garment bag about 15 years ago and its till going strong. Don't even know the brand name. There are alot of rolling garment bags on ebay or on sale if you shop the sales.

I hang up my DH's suit, my formal wear and then still have alot of room for all the other clothes that i don't want to get wrinkled.

What I like about a rolling garment bag, you just hang up the clothes, then fold it in half and close it up. Rolls just like a regular suitcase.

With a countess number of bages to choose from you will likely get many answers to your question. And, much of this comes down to price. I would not go at the low end because the luggage will not last very long. At the same time I do not recommend going with the high end because it does get beat up between flights, loading and unloading from the cruise ship, etc.

Here's a couple of suggestions. We have done well over the years with TravelPro. They make a variety of styles at different price points. Another one that we have had good success with at a lower price point is Ricardo. I would suggest looking at department stores so that you can see exactly what each one is like (Macys has a nice selection) and then you can write down what you are interest in and see if you can get it at a better price on line. Here is a web site I have used often;

http://www.luggageonline.com/linkshare.cfm?siteID=bsp5xrRSj%2AA-M%2FTtmdbmCNBOs0NhLHVfvw

Good Luck.

Keith

I travel quite a bit for business and needed a garment bag that could hold two or three suits, shirts, etc...

My wife found this one. I have used it several times and love it. It has spinner wheels on the bottom that make it easy to move around. It also stands up on its own, so you don't have to unpack it unless you want to.

Here is the link to it.

http://us.samsonite.com/webapp/us/servlet/SProductDisplay?productId=248321&storeId=10001&langId=-1&pc=C15

I hope this helps.

after pricing the bags:eek: near $200; decided i'll just try to secure the dress clothes all in one of my large rolling bags.

It has belts, layered things so hope it works...otherwise i'll be spending lots of time in the laundry room.

Plan on taking a small spray bottle filled with wrinkle release - as usual/a life saver imo.

Archived