food quality on celebrity

scorben

But you make a good point. Even knowing Oceania is much higher than X, you are hapy choosing Oceania based on all of your knowledge and experience. Somebody else, taking in all of the factors plus the price differential may choose X. That's great, too. Variety is great for the customer, and I'm very greatful that we have alternatives.

I had no idea I was paying so much more than I had been on Celebrity for my cruises now!!! You do get what you pay for however and there are more positives, once again in our opinion, than just the food.

Thanks for that statement. It is the extra cost that I'm not willing to pay.. as yet. From all the comments that I have read, I don't recall any negatives about Oceania. I'm sure it is a wonderful experience...

now tell me about the dance floor and dancing opportunities... that turns me on to... cruising more than the food..;)

now tell me about the dance floor and dancing opportunities... that turns me on to... cruising more than the food..;)

To be honest I don't think there is a whole heck of alot of dancing (maybe we are all Baptists??) but please don't take my word for it. We typically have some wine in the cabin before dinner - eat at around 8:30 to 10:30/11:00 and then go back to the room. Rarely do we visit the lounges in the evening so I would suggest you go to the Oceania Board and ask that question there.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your post at all. Which line are you calling "premium" and which are you calling "luxury"? From what I understand, those distinctions are not considered interchangable. I tend to hear both Celebrity and Oceania being referred to as "Premium" and Regent referred to as "Luxury".

Also, based on what are you saying that the difference is a "small amount of money"? That seems to be a sticking point for many of us here.

Hi Drew:

To say that Celebrity and Oceania are in the same class is not even close. Oceania is a premium class cruise line. Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line, just as HAL, Carnival, Princess, Costa, etc. are. IMHO, to say any different would be more of an advertising gambit than anything else. Oceania is most certainly a class above Celebrity, what ever you want to call the class.

The food and condition of the Oceania ships is above the mainstream cruise lines.

To say that Celebrity and Oceania are in the same class is not even close. Oceania is a premium class cruise line. Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line, just as HAL, Carnival, Princess, Costa, etc. are. IMHO, to say any different would be more of an advertising gambit than anything else. Oceania is most certainly a class above Celebrity, what ever you want to call the class.

The food and condition of the Oceania ships is above the mainstream cruise lines.

I have not sailed on Oceania but I would agree on the terms you use. But then fares that are generally 50% higher than on X should provide a superior cruising and culinary experience.

Hi Drew:

I don't have any firsthand knowledge, and I don't deny what you say is true. I'm simply using the verbiage from travel writers. If it's wrong, that's their mistake, not mine. The only other line I've sailed has been Carnival, and while there are differences, I don't see them as a class apart, so I'm very prone to agree with you that Celebrity is a mainstream line. I'm not sure why it is so often categorized as "premium".

Thanks for the pricing information. I know now 110% for sure I won't be

trying Oceania.....:eek:

As for the food...same subjective topic. I just returned from

Mercury and most everything was excellent:D

I had one poor meal at dinner so I sent it back. My waiter felt

very badly but I didn't make a big deal of it....I just called him

over and asked for something else.

Just the facts.

Hi,

The ''2850''capacity on the official sheets is all lower berths.

If running at full capacity and all triple , quads and high occupancy suites are sold, we're talking well over 3,2xx guests...

Should it have the same PR as the ''M'' class, we can presume the galley and dining rooms will be bigger to proportionately deliver the same level of quality one is accusotmed to.....Day dreaming is also the cheapest form of speculation.

Cheers

:D

I was going to say that you were probably raised skiing on better mountains than I - then I noted that you're a buckeye (as I was originally)... The chili I remember... would - at least keep you warm on a lift. But when your first runs are at Boston Mills Ski Area (as were mine) known affectionately - sort of - as 'the Big BM' - 'ya overlook the lodge 'cuisine'. :D

One thing about being a skier in FL - having to go 1,500+ miles for snow - you never end up at Boston Mills. In Austria's Arlberg, the mountain restaurants serve a big soft pudding like dumpling that they pour hot vanilla sauce over topped with cookie crumbles that are akin to crushed Oreos. That's on another meal in itself desert planet than anything I've had on frozen water or at sea... Yumm... :)

Seriously, despite the 'pretty bad' lunch buffet and the age worn naval structure, the dinners I had on the elderly down on her luck 'Regal Empress' were really surprisingly good - as were the dining room servers.

Among the big lines, I think X is fighting the good fight (in the galley) as best they can...

Raised a Buckeye and learned skiing on the other side of the state (Mad River Mountain formally known as Valley High). And yes, the food was best brought from home. Even though it was next to the highest point in Ohio, not quite what I meant on altitude helping appetite ;).

Midmountain in Colorado usually means 7000 feet and the food is good including the chili) although the lift tickets are cheaper ;).

There are some great reports from recent Azamara cruisers about the quality of food (and all aspects of the ship/service) ... so for those who enjoy Celebrity but are interested in cruising on a smaller ship, it's worth taking a look at Azamara's sailings, as well as feedback on the Azamara board.

just finished a four nite mercury sailing. we did the same ship and itinerary last year and the year before. i know food is always subjective, but i think the food has slipped a little. DW felt the same. we both felt that on a recent vision of the seas sailing, that the food was a little better. IMHO

happy sailing

gary

My DW and I have seen the food quality slip on X over the past few years, and it was definitely down on the our last TA cruise on the Constellation in Sept. Celebrity has always promoted itself as having better food than the other similar cruise lines i.e. Princess, Holland America, RCL etc. Well the food used to be excellent overall, but it isn’t anymore. IMO Celebrity appears to be competing with the others on price rather than on food quality. Because of the market that Celebrity competes in and the size of their ships, it’s not really possible to compete directly with Oceania, so they started Azamara to compete with Oceania. We will see how successful that venture is for them. Again IMO, I think that that Celebrity could charge 5-10% more and improve the food and coffee to keep its clientele happy and draw new passengers who appreciate good food.

Archived