Thinking of trying NCL 1/05 - Caribbean

Murphey

We are seasoned cruisers (Princess, HAL the old Renaissance). Our previous experience with NCL was with the old Norway....a long time ago and the Crown during its changeover from Orient to NCL. Would like comments about what can we expect. One concern to us is that we kind of like the Formal Night syndrome ( I know, we are weird) and I heard NCL is a "resort casual" ship. We are in our early 50's. Thanks for the input.

One concern to us is that we kind of like the Formal Night syndrome ( I know, we are weird) and I heard NCL is a "resort casual" ship. We are in our early 50's. Thanks for the input.

On our NCL Freestyle cruise, no one dressed up for dinner except on the Formal Night. On that night almost everyone dressed up, and I got to ogle all the other men's wives while flipping off the classless men ogling my wife.

We absolutely loved being able to eat when and where we wanted though, and while the Majesty is not the biggest or bestest ship ever made, Freestyle Dining was enough to lure us into booking a second cruise on the Majesty this year. Which is kind of ironic because when we got off it in March, we both said, "eh, that was a nice enough ship, but we'd never sail it again."

But I digress...

We really like NCL and Freestyle. My favorite ships are the Sun and the Spirit. There is an optional formal night on the 7 night (& up) cruises and many people participate. On our recent Star cruise to Alaska, the optional formal restaurant was packed to the gills at opening-time with people dressed to the nines. I like to dress up, as well, and have enjoyed doing so with Freestyle, while having the freedom to be more casual during the rest of the week and on days with long shore excursions, etc.

Thanks fo all the input.....we had heard that there wasn't any Formal Nights on NCL. What I don't get is why NCL cruises seem to be consistantly lower prices than on other "main stream" lines. We think perhaps we've been paying to much and should switch. One more mundane question...does NCL have a good loyalty program (like Princess)??

Thanks fo all the input.....we had heard that there wasn't any Formal Nights on NCL. What I don't get is why NCL cruises seem to be consistantly lower prices than on other "main stream" lines. We think perhaps we've been paying to much and should switch. One more mundane question...does NCL have a good loyalty program (like Princess)??

Loyalty program: yes, it's called latitude and you become a member after your first sailing; perks: sometimes there are cruise discounts that may or may not be better than you can get via the net or your TA; as well as some onboard credits; special check in line; cocktail party with great appitizers, drinks and door prizes; and drink discounts in one or more of the lounges, plus a quarterly magazine. Is it a wonderful program no, but it's free and does offer some advantages. I am not sure which ship or ships you are checking as NCL is not always lower. Last year we cruised Celebrity over Thanksgiving cause the balcony cabins were over $100 less than NCL was offering. The ships were comparable.Actually the Celebrity ship was their newest at the time. Generally you are right about prices. As Julie and Zeno mentioned NCL has formal night optional. This does occur twice, but the first is more inclined to have some dress formally. I think you should give them a try. The ships rate among the highest for cleanliness, the crew on all NCL ships are the friendliest I have seen, the food is good, but maybe not quite as good as some. I think all mass marketed lines are similar. The specialty restaurants are the best on the sea and offer the best prices. Hope we have all helped you a bit. NMnita

Archived