2nd Sitting tables

Beachmad

When you have 1st or 2nd seating do you go to the same table each day?

Had Caronia last time but have got 2nd sitting this time and have just realised you may not get the same table.

No problem with it but would like to know.

Thanks guys

Mag

When you have 1st or 2nd seating do you go to the same table each day?

Had Caronia last time but have got 2nd sitting this time and have just realised you may not get the same table.

No problem with it but would like to know.

Thanks guys

Mag

Hi,

Yes you get the same table each evening ! :D

Gav :cool:

If you are in Mauretania (QE2) or Britannia (QM2/QV) then its 'open seating' for breakfast and lunch - you will be shown to a table when you arrive - almost certainly different from your evening dinner table - that way you get to try out different parts of the restaurant - the downside is you only get to know your wait-staff at dinner - although with other duties they are not always the same as your dinner wait staff in single sitting restaurants at your assigned table at breakfast and lunch anyway.....

Peter

Hi,

Yes you get the same table each evening ! :D

And as we are both on the "land`s of Fire and Ice " Cruise in July, and i am also on 2nd sitting, we may be seated together !! :D

regards,

If you are in Mauretania (QE2) or Britannia (QM2/QV) then its 'open seating' for breakfast and lunch - you will be shown to a table when you arrive - almost certainly different from your evening dinner table - that way you get to try out different parts of the restaurant - the downside is you only get to know your wait-staff at dinner - although with other duties they are not always the same as your dinner wait staff in single sitting restaurants at your assigned table at breakfast and lunch anyway.....

Peter

Same table for dinner but not Breakfast or lunch, I see.

And as we are both on the "land`s of Fire and Ice " Cruise in July, and i am also on 2nd sitting, we may be seated together !! :D

regards,

Not with the famous T.V Gav :eek:.

We have booked a table for 6, I figured I would have 4 other people to talk to when gym-rat is.. well gymming :rolleyes:

In Caronia you get to sit at the same table for all three meals if you wish. That way you get to chat with your dinner mates at all three meals if they happen along while you are there. Probably not quite so easy in Mauretania as that might mean double the number of people showing up for the table at breakfast or lunch.

In Caronia you get to sit at the same table for all three meals if you wish.

I will be in Caronia in January and knew I'd be at the same table every evening, but wasn't sure about the other meals. I liked open seating for breakfast and lunch on the cruise I was on last year as it enabled me to meet lots more people. Will I have a choice in Caronia where to sit for the other meals?

Hi Mag,

we were in the Mauretania in July and were on the first sitting for dinner. We had a table for two and, on the first morning at sea for breakfast decided we would like to sit at one of the sea view tables rather than our assigned table which was rather nearer the centre of the restaurant. The end result was that we ended up being "adopted" by a couple of the most fantastic waiters I've ever come across (Henry and Luwell). Amongst other things we were treated to impromptu lessons in napkin folding, were provided with a hand-written Tagalog "dictionary" and generally had a fantastic time. We used the same table for lunch and then reverted to our assigned table for dinner. The waiters at dinner (Greg and Mel) were just as efficient and equally witty and amusing but in a different way, so we not only had entertaining meals but variety as well. The only downside was that we felt oblligated to tip both groups of waiters very generously, but I don't regret a penny of it, my only regret was that I didn't have more to give - I hope that some of them are still on board on our next cruise.

Hope you have a marvelous time by the way.

Jimmy

If you are in Mauretania (QE2) or Britannia (QM2/QV) then its 'open seating' for breakfast and lunch

Does that apply on transatlantics as well? They always used to have early and late seating breakfasts and Lunches then. Thinking about it, it was the same on sea days for cruises. As cruises are now open seating for breakfast and lunch I suppose transatlantics have followed suit.

Hi Mag,

we were in the Mauretania in July and were on the first sitting for dinner. We had a table for two and, on the first morning at sea for breakfast decided we would like to sit at one of the sea view tables rather than our assigned table which was rather nearer the centre of the restaurant. The end result was that we ended up being "adopted" by a couple of the most fantastic waiters I've ever come across (Henry and Luwell). Amongst other things we were treated to impromptu lessons in napkin folding, were provided with a hand-written Tagalog "dictionary" and generally had a fantastic time. We used the same table for lunch and then reverted to our assigned table for dinner. The waiters at dinner (Greg and Mel) were just as efficient and equally witty and amusing but in a different way, so we not only had entertaining meals but variety as well. The only downside was that we felt oblligated to tip both groups of waiters very generously, but I don't regret a penny of it, my only regret was that I didn't have more to give - I hope that some of them are still on board on our next cruise.

Hope you have a marvelous time by the way.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy,

Sounds great, dosnt it make your holiday when you have such dedicated waiters, I think the 2 we had were new, they were fairly quiet but I put it down to our trip being only 5 nights, although I looked on enviously at the next table that had a really fun waiter :).

Hope you have a marvellous time on your next trip too.

BTW Great website you have.

Thanks Jimmy,

Sounds great, dosnt it make your holiday when you have such dedicated waiters, I think the 2 we had were new, they were fairly quiet but I put it down to our trip being only 5 nights, although I looked on enviously at the next table that had a really fun waiter :).

Hope you have a marvellous time on your next trip too.

I wouldn't trade the traditional practice of having my own table with the same waiters for all the 'freestyle' dining on offer these days.

You could have tried to loosen him up a bit. We once had a waiter who never cracked a smile. We were deterimed to get him to laugh. His partner/helper was almost as serious. We drove the two of them crazy by not sitting in the same seats (or even next to our spouses) every night. In our efforts to crack him up, we became the rowdy table in Caronia dining room. (uh-oh, will I get in trouble for that?) By the last night, we had sunk to dirty limericks, and it was clearly time to go home! (And no, I'm not going to post any of the limericks)

Kathy

dosnt it make your holiday when you have such dedicated waiters

You're right - in many ways they "made" the cruise for us.

Thanks for your kind words. Keep dropping in on the site because, once I've flogged my way through the hundreds of ships that I still have to research from Gib and the return to Soton, I intend to produce a collection devoted entirely to QE2 herself. I've only scratched the surface there so far.

J

No in caronia you sit at the same table all the time. I think by If you wish they were just saying that you dont have to go to the restaurant every time you can go to the lido.

When we were on a Med cruise we found that on port days the Mauratania dining room was closed and we just had to choose our own table in Caronia. I hope we never sat at someone's special seat:o Some days we sat at a table for 2, other days at a table for 6

When we were on a Med cruise we found that on port days the Mauratania dining room was closed and we just had to choose our own table in Caronia. I hope we never sat at someone's special seat:o Some days we sat at a table for 2, other days at a table for 6

When they expect a large number of passengers to be off for the day, they condense the dining room service. I hope this allows more staff to get time off in port. People who dine in Caronia are an accommodating bunch, and understand that on these days, a steerage passenger :eek: might be sitting in their seats. Seriously, this combined lunch service thing has never resulted in any complaints that I'm aware of, and I usually have a Caronia cabin.

Sometimes I wonder if they do this to encourage Mauretania passengers to move up to Caronia next time. Kind of like how the airlines make you walk through first class on your way to coach.

Kathy

Archived