QE2 Cabin 4253

kevankiki

I can't remember seeing a photo of the porthole on the Pol Acker thread, so if you can find it I'd be grateful.

In the video it looks like there is no 'window sill', is that simply because you have zoomed in? I have also been trying to find out how big these portholes are, and google hasn't been any help, anyone know the diameter? I would assume the ones on deck 4 are the same as 5, and that tehy only get bigger once you get higher up?

BTW your first video made the honours list for most viewed travel and places, #52 last time I looked!

I can't remember seeing a photo of the porthole on the Pol Acker thread, so if you can find it I'd be grateful.

look up ^^^ I've added it to the earlier post.

In the video it looks like there is no 'window sill', is that simply because you have zoomed in? I have also been trying to find out how big these portholes are, and google hasn't been any help, anyone know the diameter? I would assume the ones on deck 4 are the same as 5, and that tehy only get bigger once you get higher up?

hopefully the pic will give a clue - the sill was very deep (though being so far forward, it was curved) - the steward used it as the nighttime home of the bed cover.

BTW your first video made the honours list for most viewed travel and places, #52 last time I looked!

:eek: someone even subscribed (whatever that means) I got the email this morning.

Karen

look up ^^^ I've added it to the earlier post.

hopefully the pic will give a clue - the sill was very deep (though being so far forward, it was curved) - the steward used it as the nighttime home of the bed cover.

:eek: someone even subscribed (whatever that means) I got the email this morning.

Karen

Yep, you edited your post while I was typing, by the time I got back the attachment was there! Clearly we are both spending too much time here this morning, I blame the clocks! :D

The porthole looks quite large in that photo, unless that's because presumably it's one of those cupboards they call single cabins? :rolleyes:

I think 'subscribed' means they added you to their 'buddy' list, wasn't me though (I have the same id as I do here for youtube)

Yep, you edited your post while I was typing, by the time I got back the attachment was there! Clearly we are both spending too much time here this morning, I blame the clocks! :D

The porthole looks quite large in that photo, unless that's because presumably it's one of those cupboards they call single cabins? :rolleyes:

I think 'subscribed' means they added you to their 'buddy' list, wasn't me though (I have the same id as I do here for youtube)

I'm putting off, phoning my mother, who is due a call. Then I have to finish moving the bedroom furniture round. Then perhaps, at some point, I might even change the clocks, :D. I always spend too much time on here when there are other things to do:D (& you can see the weather yourself I imagine)

The porthole isn't that large, looking at the TV (14inch) I would guess, 10-12 inches? (or revising down 8?) & I had to stand to be able to see out of it - (yes, it was single cabin - but a bigish single at 105 sq ft - next month I have my smallest yet at 97 sq ft:eek: )

Apparently the subscription means he will be notified each time I post a video

I just had a look at the subscribing persons link:eek: .

Karen

What cabin are you in, David? I've been in 1107 and our friends were in 1111 (she loved that cabin because she couldn't forget the number). We didn't have any noise from the Lido above us. It's a great location--Kathy

LOL! Kathy....we're going to be in 1111 (I thought exactly the same about the number - that and the fact people will believe its not a real cabin and we made the number up!:) )

When we checked out the location on our last cruise we thought it was good enough for us. Its good to hear that the Lido above will not cause a good deal of issues. Thanks for the update.

David

And Congrats on the upgrade!

Thanks for the videos Karen.

Richard had music going on the computer and so when the rough weather video was playing it came across as a music video. Somehow a view out the port hole of the QE2 and Tom Jones singing "What's New Pussycat" just seems odd - yet ironic considering the threads we've had.:rolleyes:

David

So, my cunning plan is to show it to him, hopefully he will insist on being by the bathroom (why should I deny his wishes?), and I will be very happy lying under my porthole looking out to sea or whatever - wonderful! :cool:

Annette.....you have this all thought out. We wouldn't want to deny you your porthole after all.:D

Just remember though..........the porthole has to stay. You can't take it home with you!:(

David

I'm putting off, phoning my mother, who is due a call. Then I have to finish moving the bedroom furniture round. Then perhaps, at some point, I might even change the clocks, :D. I always spend too much time on here when there are other things to do:D (& you can see the weather yourself I imagine)

The porthole isn't that large, looking at the TV (14inch) I would guess, 10-12 inches? (or revising down 8?) & I had to stand to be able to see out of it - (yes, it was single cabin - but a bigish single at 105 sq ft - next month I have my smallest yet at 97 sq ft:eek: )

Apparently the subscription means he will be notified each time I post a video

I just had a look at the subscribing persons link:eek: .

Karen

I can understand totally why you are avoiding those things, and yes, I have seen the weather out there :D

I'd be interested to know if the portholes are any bigger on deck 4, it's times like this I wish I had stuck my nose in a few cabins when we were In Transit last summer, or that we had had time for a cabin cavalcade on our last cruise!

Annette.....you have this all thought out. We wouldn't want to deny you your porthole after all.:D

Just remember though..........the porthole has to stay. You can't take it home with you!:(

David

When he saw the video he actually said that it might be a better idea if he was near the bathroom, just in case.... :D

Are you saying there is no point in packing the tool kit then? :eek:

I think a general-purpose 'QE2 Cabin Photos & info' thread would be useful... although its maybe a bit late to start it now :(

I'm looking for info/photos on cabins 2126 and 2117 and anything at all would be appreciated. I do have the deckplan but looking for some insights. I did do a search on the boards and found a little bit about 2126, but not much. Thanks!

- Rob

I can understand totally why you are avoiding those things, and yes, I have seen the weather out there :D

I'd be interested to know if the portholes are any bigger on deck 4, it's times like this I wish I had stuck my nose in a few cabins when we were In Transit last summer, or that we had had time for a cabin cavalcade on our last cruise!

I'm pretty sure all portholes are the same size. Some (all?) Q cabins get windows (I'm not counting the balcony cabins here). I think all P cabins get two portholes, I know our P cabin had two last time the fairy sprinkled upgrade dust on us.

I have given up on the fight to get the bed under the porthole. DH has claimed that right in perpetuity.

The cabin steward closes the drapes when he turns down the bed. And we always open them. To see moonlight shining in through the porthole is wonderful. DH is an early riser, and if he thinks I'm planning a lie-in, he will close the drapes before he leaves the cabin for his early AM coffee.

Forget the toolkit, Annette. Those things are VERY tightly closed. Not to mention 18 layers of paint glueing them in place.

Kathy

I'm pretty sure all portholes are the same size. Some (all?) Q cabins get windows (I'm not counting the balcony cabins here). I think all P cabins get two portholes, I know our P cabin had two last time the fairy sprinkled upgrade dust on us.

Kathy

Surely, if there are two, then that's one each, right? :D

I shall probably do as your DH does, since I'm the early riser... I presume I will need to sit up in bed, or maybe even kneel on the bed, in order to see out though?

What if DH packed a "disc cutter" from work? ;)

From 3006, an MO portside forward
Far forward, just under the cranes, the porthole is angled out a bit so you can see straight down due to the outward curveature of the bow.

Had a lovely view one afternoon...

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2452805270055338351nrUQCL][IMG]http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/15980/2452805270055338351S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2396889300055338351EYVboU][IMG]http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/26222/2396889300055338351S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2827546990055338351FNGOoV][IMG]http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/25355/2827546990055338351S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Wow Kyle, that's awesome, is it likely our porthole would look like yours? It looks like it is open though :confused:

I know just where Spencer Bear is going to be spending his days.... just need to move the shells out of the way... :D

[quote name='3rdGenCunarder']I
I have given up on the fight to get the bed under the porthole. DH has claimed that right in perpetuity.

The cabin steward closes the drapes when he turns down the bed. And we always open them. To see moonlight shining in through the porthole is wonderful.
Forget the toolkit, Annette. Those things are VERY tightly closed. Not to mention 18 layers of paint glueing them in place.

Kathy[/quote]

Kathy,
How about a little bit of itching powder in the bed the first night. If it doesn't work, try the second night also!

Then once he gives it up, a small gratuity to your steward should get you fresh sheets while DH is in the bathroom.

Another thought, In the middle of the night, run over to his bed, Exclaiming how beautiful it is and how you simply MUST kneel there and peer out for at least an hour. Make sure he is sound asleep when you do this, and be sure to "accidentally" kneel on some particularly tender place when doing so! I suspect he might suddenly find the porthole less charming!

I firmly agree on opening the curtains. It's one of my favorite things to do in the middle of the night. Gaze out the porthole (or go out on the balcony on newer ships)

And surely a Dremel tool with the right attachments will get through the layers of paint, the stuck screws and more. They're small and compact and don't use that much electricity. They're fairly quiet, too! You can even get them in cordless rechargeable models!

Good luck!

Karie

[quote name='travel-to-go']
And surely a Dremel tool with the right attachments will get through the layers of paint, the stuck screws and more. They're small and compact and don't use that much electricity. They're fairly quiet, too! You can even get them in cordless rechargeable models!

Good luck!

Karie[/quote]

I'm going for the disc cutter, apparently all it requires is a steel blade and it will go through metal, no electricity needed either! :D

[quote name='kevankiki']It looks like it is open though :confused:[/quote]

I think that what you're looking at is the deadlight - a closure that can be fastened across the porthole in very bad weather in case the glass is broken by the storm.:eek:

[quote name='pnhmrk']I think that what you're looking at is the deadlight - a closure that can be fastened across the porthole in very bad weather in case the glass is broken by the storm.:eek:[/quote]

Who is responsible for doing this please?

DD and I thought it was like a frosted window, to stop people from looking in from outside when it port (or passing ships), yeah I know... :o

[quote name='kevankiki']Who is responsible for doing this please?

DD and I thought it was like a frosted window, to stop people from looking in from outside when it port (or passing ships), yeah I know... :o[/quote]

I assume it's ordered by the Captain, and actually closed by your steward. On our Med trip, the lower decks had their deadlights closed for a couple of days because of a severe storm that never materialised. Our quiz partners were on deck 5, and said it was rather dark and not particularly pleasant with them shut.

[quote name='kevankiki']I'm sure it's no worse than an inside cabin, and we're used to those ;)[/quote]

I went on a cruise with my parents and spluged on the single supplement to get a decent outside cabin. We went to Bermuda just after Hurricane Eduardo moved up the US coast. For the time at sea, the captain ordered deadlights closed on 4 and 5--we were rockin' and rollin'. When we got to Bermuda, the weather was fine and I asked my stewardess to open the deadlight. She said that she couldn't do that until the Captain gave the order to do so. It took him another day to get around to it. So my outside became in an inside for more than half the trip. :(
Kathy

I can imagine it must be frustrating to pay for an outside cabin, then find that for half the voyage it's actually an inside!

The difference here is that we paid an [I]extremely[/I] good price for an [B]inside[/B] cabin! We would never have been able to afford anything more than what we paid for, so as you can imagine, I am very excited at having a porthole (even if it is closed for half the trip)! Spencer Bear can't contain his excitement either, he spent most of our last trip watching Channel 3, though I did take him up on deck to see the funnel on our final day :D

Archived