Medical Coverage while on a cruise

Abberboo

Hi Everyone, I wanted to ask everyone something. Does anyone purchase travel insurance not as insuring the trip as insuring you health wise. We had a meeting at work recently and with the plan I have, Humana PPO National plan that if I get hurt in St Lucia for example, it is NOT covered b/c its considered international territory. I am covered in all US properties and states but not internationally. I am not a hypocondriac, but god forbid something did happen, I wonder how I would pay for all that medical attention.

Does anyone have any experience with this, does everyones US health coverage cover you internationally?

I know there are companies like this one http://www.medexassist.com/ and this one I think will take you out of the country in an emergency http://www.medjetassistance.com/default.asp?partner=

I have just not worried about it on the past cruises but on my recent cruise in April I had a horrendous allergic reaction that got so bad I honestly thought I might have to go to the hospital in St Lucia (I ended up being ok). When I got back I called our HR person and she verified that if I had to go to the doctor on the ship or even a hospital in St Lucia they would NOT have reimbursed me.

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome. :) Thanks!

Travel insurance is supposed to reimburse you for medical expenses outside the U.S. That is what you pay for, but if the medical issue is a pre-existing condition, that might or might not be covered depending on when you bought your insurance.

You need to carefully read your travel insurance policy as to what is and isn't covered. Your best bet is to go to the website insuremytrip.com and compare policies to make sure you will be covered.

On our recent Explorer cruise, someone became very ill on the ship and had to be airlifted off in the middle of the night via helicopter. Another passenger rented a moped in Bermuda and was hit by a bus AND a car and had to go to the hospital (I heard that that person was airlifted as well). The first words out of my mouth when that happened was I hoped these people had travel insurance.

Many people are under the misconception that they are young and healthy and therefore don't need travel insurance or that their health insurance will cover them if something like that happens. You can slip and fall off the ship and break your leg and have to leave the cruise early. The right insurance will cover your medical expenses and reimburse you for the unused portion of your trip should something like that happen. Many times your health insurance at home will not cover you outside the U.S.

Hi Everyone, I wanted to ask everyone something. Does anyone purchase travel insurance not as insuring the trip as insuring you health wise. We had a meeting at work recently and with the plan I have, Humana PPO National plan that if I get hurt in St Lucia for example, it is NOT covered b/c its considered international territory. I am covered in all US properties and states but not internationally. I am not a hypocondriac, but god forbid something did happen, I wonder how I would pay for all that medical attention.

Does anyone have any experience with this, does everyones US health coverage cover you internationally?

I know there are companies like this one http://www.medexassist.com/ and this one I think will take you out of the country in an emergency http://www.medjetassistance.com/default.asp?partner=

I have just not worried about it on the past cruises but on my recent cruise in April I had a horrendous allergic reaction that got so bad I honestly thought I might have to go to the hospital in St Lucia (I ended up being ok). When I got back I called our HR person and she verified that if I had to go to the doctor on the ship or even a hospital in St Lucia they would NOT have reimbursed me.

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome. :) Thanks!

I just answered this question on another thread. I too was concerned about medical insurance while on our cruise. I found out American Express has a great insurance if you are a member. It cost me $18.00 a month I can cancel at anytime and it is for medical........airlifting....dental......and such. It will not cover any preexisting conditions unless it is past 60 days out. I got coverage of $100.000 dollars for our family of 4

I always purchase Travel Insurance including medical online with AIG Travel Guard. It so happens that while on our trip in the Meditteranean, my wife got sick and had to go to the clinic in the Splendour of the Seas. The charge was close to $400 dollars.

After this, I always get insurance. For my upcoming trip with my daughter, I paid $58 US. This includes trip cancellation, terrorist attack, medical, baggage, etc...

I even buy it when I go on trips anywhere be it cruise, vacations to the US, any type of trip. It is well worth it to have the coverage.

check their web page.,,,hope this helps.

I just answered this question on another thread. I too was concerned about medical insurance while on our cruise. I found out American Express has a great insurance if you are a member. It cost me $18.00 a month I can cancel at anytime and it is for medical........airlifting....dental......and such. It will not cover any preexisting conditions unless it is past 60 days out. I got coverage of $100.000 dollars for our family of 4

I just tried to look it up and it was for business credit cards only. Sorry.

This worked for us because most other insurance would only do it if you signed up by the paid in full date. We did that a long time ago. This one is good all the time.

My HMO coverage is worldwide, so you can't make a blanket statement that all insurance companies do not have world wide coverage. Medicare only has coverage in the USA. And I do buy travel insurance. You made a great point that you should check your coverage before you leave.

By coincidence, I happened to have JUST read this in the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Personal Journey |

By Karen Monaghan-Arnone

"For me and my husband, it was a belated honeymoon trip to Florence, Venice, Rome and Greece. For my husband's 78-year-old mother, whom everyone calls Nonna, it was her first trip home to Celico, Italy, in 20 years.

Luckily for all of us, we took our travel agent's advice and bought travel insurance along with the plane and train tickets, hotel packages, and passage on a cruise ship.

Nonna was happy and in good health when we reached Calabria...."

(I only pasted a snippet, because I don't want to violate copyright laws.)

http://www.philly.com/philly/travel/20071021_Personal_Journey__.html

Insurance coverage is not just for those on the trip. Three years ago my friend, her DH and DF were planning a cruise with her DB and SIL. Just 3 or 4 days before they were to leave, their DS, while staying with a family member, was struck by an 18 wheeler. Needless to say, their plans were abruptly changed, and my friend had no trip insurance, but her DB did. In order not to lose the entire trip, my friend took her 80+ year-old father on the cruise, and her DH stayed with DS while he was hospitalized. She said she will never again book a cruise and not buy insurance.

I will always have travel insurance for cruises-we use Travel Guard because pre-existing illnesses are covered if purchased when deposit is made.

My HMO coverage is worldwide, so you can't make a blanket statement that all insurance companies do not have world wide coverage. Medicare only has coverage in the USA. And I do buy travel insurance. You made a great point that you should check your coverage before you leave.

Hey alexkrn46, I didnt understand what you posted in the first sentence. . .. I didnt say all insurance companies dont have world wide coverage, I believe I just noted my specific insurance situation with my specific provider (Humana PPO) and was seeking a bit of advice from all the knowledge on this board.

I wish I had worldwide coverage like you! Hope I figure out a good plan to buy. Thanks! :)

Archived