To those sailing from Florida this weekend

DocJohnB

Having been a cruiser for many years, I know and understand the feeling of anticipation all of your are experiencing over your upcoming cruise.

Having been a Floridian for just about as many years, I am also aware of the mixture of hurricanes and cruises.

The unfortunate thing about the current hurricane is that, as projected at this hour, it is coming ashore on a Saturday and because it is so slow moving, will not be out of the state until late Sunday.

Because of that many cruises will be affected. I see people on this and other boards complaining about the fact that the cruise lines are not doing enough to satisfy those cruising this weekend. I am not the biggest supporter of cruiseline customer service, but give these guys a break this time.

To those of you who are cruising this weekend: You all have to start making some decisions. If things remain the same, I would guess there will be NO cruises out of Port Canaveral this weekend and probably not out of Miami or Port Everglades (until Sunday, earliest). Tampa is iffy also. Keep in touch with your TA and the cruise lines for possible changes. I know you don't want to hear this, but some or many cruises will be cancelled and/or delayed. Some of you who did not opt for insurance are going to probably lose money.

On a Floridian note. Most of the customer service personnel live in or around the souther port cities. They are human beings, who while trying to do their jobs still have the additional worry of the hurricane. Try to understand where "they may be coming from" if they are short with you.

If this hurricane maintains its' projected course and strength, some people in this state are probably going to die this weekend, others are going to lose all they have. I am sorry your cruise, pales, in that comparison.

Thank you for letting me vent.

amen doc john. well said. i am one of those that was supposed to sail this weekend, but my vacation pales in the face of the impending disaster about to hit somewhere here in florida. PRAYERS TO ALL THOSE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM AND ESPECIALLY THOSE ALONG THE COASTLINES. stay safe.

Folks if you are considering getting to Florida early in case your flight is cancelled or trying to get to the port by flying to another city and driving...PLEASE RECONSIDER!

If you are doing this, you likely have never been thru a coastal hurricane before, and believe me, you do not want to sample it now, not with this storm. If you remember, Hurricance Andrew completely devistated Homestead Fla and parts of Miami years ago.

Frances is more powerful at the moment, and from appearances, seems to be much larger.

I live in NC, and so far this season we have had four named storms cross us in what seems like as many weeks. I travel nowhere, and stay home during these times, and I live 150 miles inland! I would never entertain the thought of going anywhere near the coast during these storms.

Please consider rebooking your vacation to another date, than risking your life on the possibility of going on your cruise.

Very well stated, thanks for helping us all keep this in perspective.

While I empathize with the many people who are having their much anticipated vacation plans ruined, I indeed sympathize much more with the residents of FL and the SouthEast Coast of the U.S. :(

This may seem like a silly question, but does anyone know if a hurricane of this magnitude has hit the coast of FL on a weekend before? I'm wondering if the cruiselines have seen anything like this before on a day when so many ships are either leaving port, or returning. It's one thing to reroute a ship that is already out to sea, but to have this beast hit on Saturday or Sunday could be causing them a mess like they have never had to deal with.

Well said doc john! Another thing to consider along with the suggestions of cmason is that the road are already backing up with people trying to evacuate the east coast. Please don't add to the confusion if you don't have to. Now is not the time to be self centered! Your cruise/vacation may be cancelled, but these people may not have homes, jobs or family to come back to.

Well said DocJohnB...as a former resident of FL (25 yrs) DH & I have lived through and felt first hand the fury of these storms. They are nothing to play with.

We are to leave Nc for Jacksonville today and have cancelled travel plans. DH is in a wedding and had to call and gracefully (with full understanding of the B & G) bow out. We simply will not expose our children unnecessarily. Don't get me wrong 90% of our family is in Ponte Vedra, Jax & Tally but as my father told me this morning...STAY HOME...love you but don;t want to here this weekend. 'Nuf said.

Vacations are seconday (at least) to saftey and lives.

Well said, people are going to mostly die this weekend and you are upset about your cruise. The people who are down there are trying to do their jobs, and worry about their homes and familiies. You may just be missing a cruise but you still have your lives. Pray for people in Florida. Please people they do not know where the hurricane is going so they do not know what they will be able to do with their ships.

Your telling me not to come to florida. Royal Caribbean is telling me i better be there cause the boat is leaving. THis is suppose to be my Honeymoon and RCI will not even let me know what is going on or give me any options so i can make other plans. At a loss for what to do now. i have another options for a trip to Hawaii, but i have to book that by tommrow morning or that is out the window. Looks like i am about to lose alot of money and get no honeymoon.

Thanks for your decisive desicion making RCI

I was beginning to lose faith in people until I saw this posting, again well said.

I live in Hollywood, FL (Broward-Dade line) and my husband and I will hopefully be on EOS on Sunday.

To all of those putting up shutters and stocking up stay safe!

To all of those traveling to Florida for a cruise, stay safe-- this IS a dangerous situation!

Susanita, The last time a sorm of this size hit Florida was probably Andrew 12 years ago. Back then about the only cruises went out of Miami or FLL and there were not as many. I don't know when it came in , but even if it had been a weekend, the combination of possibilities was nothing like this.

EMW2280...ok..its wedding weekend and you are probably a little anxious to begin with...but bashing RCI is not helping anyone. Over 1 MILLION prople have been told to leave their homes and the governor is declaring a state of emergency. Imagine turning on the TV and hearing...pack you clothes, grab the kids and hit the road only to wait several hours on the highway...and oh yeah...your hous/pets/loved ones may not be here when you return.

As DocJohnB stated many of the people working RCI telephones live in S. Florida...they are probably a little anxious as well. So give them a break....they are not intentionally trying to ruin your honeymoon.

In addition to the danger due to come in 2 days, coastal communities (who are trying to drive to safety) are encountering many closed gasoline stations. The pumps are running dry. Just north of Orlando, my DH waited 45 minutes yesterday to gas up. I was only 12 miles away and zoomed through (at a slightly higher price.) Believe me! If I could find a safer place to be, I would go there. The Catholic Diocese of Orlando has cancelled all Saturday services. Many cruises are already cancelled. This is serious. I am sorry about the honeymoon, but I would hate to fly to Florida for a romantic vacation and spend it either on a heaving sea or in a public school classroom (AKA emergency shelter.)

The lifeblood of Florida is its tourist industry. Even though we need the income that folks coming down gives us, we are right to say stay away. Your life and health is worth more than any trip. Think it through. You must make your own decision. Respect the right of the cruise line to do the same. Remember NOBODY is putting a gun to your head to force you to cruise right now. The cruise line is scrambling to send its ships to safer waters so they can cruise another day. I hope all of us come through this well enough to sail that other day too.

Very well said! As all are trying to make plans please remember that as big as this storm is the WHOLE state will be affected with rain and winds. To say the very least Florida will be a mess. I pray for all of us.

Take care and God bless.

Burnsie

I understand how bad things will be and i dont want to venture down there, and no one is holding a gun to my head, but can't they make a decision in a fair amout of time. Time where i can reschedule to do something else that is all that i am asking?

BTW the price of a cruise is a pretty big gun

I guess i am at a loss of words

I understand how bad things will be and i dont want to venture down there, and no one is holding a gun to my head, but can't they make a decision in a fair amout of time. Time where i can reschedule to do something else that is all that i am asking?

BTW the price of a cruise is a pretty big gun

I guess i am at a loss of words

As I said to you on the roll call board, please, please calm down. Panicking is not doing you any favors. RCI has not told you to "be there or the boat is leaving without you." The only thing they've done is not announce firm plans for the Mariner at this time.

Did you buy cruise insurance? If so, I would suggest looking into getting your 75% refund as your nerves appear to be a bit frazzled.

very well said.

right now it's supposed to come ashore in fort pierce... that is a 5 minute drive from where i live. i'm looking around at my beautiful house and realizing i may not have my house or anything else i own in 2 days... on top of that i'm supposed to be on the EOS on sunday. the cruise pales in comparison to all of my possessions.

We are sitting here in Palm Beach County waiting to see if we are going to live or die and you are whining about your honeymoon? I have a cruise booked in Nov.(wonder why) and hope I am still around to go. Thanks to everyone who is praying for us, that is the best thing you can do for us.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the cruiselines. Remember, they have thousands of passengers to deal with, all with different circumstances at the moment. Until they are absolutely sure, they will not announce any cancellations or changes.

But as previous posters have said, put this in perspective. Your life could be in danger if you travel to Florida this weekend, or at best, become a miserable honeymoon for you.

Besides, some people take honeymoons way after they get married, second honeymoons, etc. If you can handle saying that your honeymoon has been 'delayed', not cancelled, hopefully you can plan time away soon.

If it were me, I'd plan on Hawaii right now rather than the cruise, or wait until another time to reschedule your cruise vacation. It will be much more enjoyable and memorable.

Good Luck

and Congratulations on your Marriage!

SDCruiser

Susanita, The last time a sorm of this size hit Florida was probably Andrew 12 years ago. Back then about the only cruises went out of Miami or FLL and there were not as many. I don't know when it came in , but even if it had been a weekend, the combination of possibilities was nothing like this.

Andrew came into MIA late Sun/early Mon. Was on SS Norway and we got back Sat. Morning and flew out Sat. eve.At that time no one knew what Andrew would be like and there was no panic for anyone to leave.I went through "HUGO" in "89 and YOU DON'T WANT TO EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING FOR A CAT.4 STORM!As for EMW2280 "BOOK 'EM DAN O"

Well said Doc John - wise words that puts everything in perspective.

Em - I know your nerves are frayed and we want to help you. This is a wonderful time for you. Your travel agent (hopefully you had one) should be helping you. You should make alternate arrangements - it should be obvious there will no cruises out of Florida this weekend. Best wishes for your marriage but understand that RCI has no control over the weather and this is a life or death situation for many in Florida. Your honeymoon will happen but it may not happen exactly as planned. (insert welcome to marriage joke here). You and your spouse want to be safe and happy and you will be - just perhaps not in the Caribbean on the exact days you thought.

I have heard that the lines may send all their ships out to sea out of harms way so that the crew and ships will remain safe.

Floridians - please stay safe and take care of yourselves and your pets.

Archived